Learning as I go: lizo27's self-publishing thread

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having a bad month, here. I think I'm going to have to cancel my audiobook contract--the producer has fallen off the face off the earth and I haven't heard from them in over a month. One of my review requests got rejected, with a side helping of harsh criticism for my second book. Sales are slumping on both. I don't know what to do about any of it, and I'm starting to think that the whole project was a dumb idea. Still working on book three, though. :(

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Sucks to hear that.

I've worked with three separate producers on audiobooks and all of them were responsive. One went quiet while working on the files for the novel but I could see them being uploaded onto the site so knew steady progress was being made. Not sure what stage you are in the process. If you're through ACX and haven't received your first 15 minutes, I think it's pretty easy to cancel. If you have, then there was a deadline in that contract for full production and you should check if you're past it and then that should be pretty easy to cancel, too. If you aren't at that deadline yet, you may have to wait it out.

In terms of the books slumping. It happens sometimes until your next release. Don't get discouraged, just get the next one out there. If you're exclusive to Amazon, try some of their sponsored product ads in the meantime. If you're wide and direct with Kobo see about getting in on one of their monthly promos. Or run a sale and set up some ads with the better sites. If you don't have the money for ads, then just get that next book out.

Take a moment to feel down, but then power through and keep going.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. The audiobook thing is really weird--very responsive at first, had a setback due to technical issues, we worked that out, and then poof--nothing, for a month. As for the slump--I just released a book last month! How fast am I supposed to turn them out? I'm beginning to think the second book just sucks and that's the problem--but it's gotten several good ratings on Goodreads so I don't know. Just a little upset and frustrated right now.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score

KiwiChick

Editing like a caffeinated chipmunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asakkalon.com
It's possible that the glitch is affecting my pagereads, but I don't know that it explains the lack of sales.

You're right, it doesn't sound like it should.

I can imagine it's discouraging when your sales drop below where you think they should be. Self-publishing isn't easy.

But remind yourself of what you've accomplished so far. You have two books out, you're getting good reviews on them, and you have a third book underway. I hear it can take five or so books for a new author to gain momentum, and you have the advantage that you're writing a series so people who discover one book and enjoy it are likely to be interested in the others.

When it starts to get on top of you, take a quick time out and read something inspiring. Then get back to writing.

You might want to think about paying for advertising or working on increasing your social media presence. There are lots of books and blog posts that give authors ideas on how to become more discoverable online.

Most importantly, keep writing.

Good luck!
KiwiChick

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that, KiwiChick. I've heard the same thing re: five books, so I guess the main thing is to keep going.

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're on the right track. This was my track, and the game plan that I'm following is as follows;

Three books
Box set of those three
Book four
Book five
Book six
Box set of 4-6
Wash, rinse, repeat for as long as I can. Other books and series as time and creativity permits.

I'm holding off on advertising pushes until book four. That's when I can do a kindle countdown on the box set, buy a few ads, and market the heck out of book four.

So far it's working out. The more books you have out there, the more effective marketing becomes. Best of all, this path is easy to walk without a big investment of anything but writing time... which is what you'd be doing anyway. I think this way would work for you.

Just be patient and keep building that backlist. It'll pay off, eventually.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking of releasing the first three books as an omnibus in print once I release the third on Kindle. My books are short and releasing a 500-600 page physical book seems more cost-effective than releasing 3 ~ 200 page ones. Thoughts?

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Were you planning to go through Createspace? If so, it's pretty much free to put books up there, unless you're looking to get an ISBN for expanded distribution.

If that's the case and you don't mind a little extra time fiddling with the templates, I'd say put all four of them up there. (The three books and the omnibus).

But if you only want to do it once, yeah, the omnibus is a good way to go.

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Hm... going to have to make a quick amendment, here, due to the ever-changing nature of things.

As of yesterday, Amazon has started to fold their POD publishing into KDP, and will eventually be moving it out of Createspace. So my advice on putting everything in Createspace? Might not be so good anymore, or by the time you get around to it. It'll probably take them a few months to get everything up and running, mind, and Createspace will keep going in the meantime, but you may want to avoid fussing with it. Whatever they put into KDP will probably be less hassle when it's all said and done.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
The KDP Print service is, as of now, still inferior to CS. For one thing, you can't order author copies at cost (not even a proof copy!), and for another, there's no expanded distribution. Authors have also reported bugs with the interface over at the KDP forum.

So, for anyone publishing a POD edition now, I'd say CS is still the way to go.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
Well, just got into double-digits for reviews on Amazon--but the tenth review was my first negative review! :( Oh well . . .

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, that's a good thing! One out of ten is a great ratio.Also, you've hit a milestone. A lot of self-published folks don't break double digits on reviews. You've beaten that, so you're ahead of the game.There's also a school of thought that a negative review adds "authenticity". I happen to agree with that. While they shouldn't be courted, the simple fact of the matter is that there's always going to be someone out there who doesn't like your book, no matter how you write. Having a negative review up there shows that your reviews aren't falsely inflated, and that the other reviewers are probably on the level.So yeah, 90% good reviews? Freaking awesome. If you can keep that ratio up then life'll be good.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Well, just got into double-digits for reviews on Amazon--but the tenth review was my first negative review! :( Oh well . . .

There's always going to be at least one. On one of my books, I had a one-star review that simply said "Good book"--I'm still scratching my head over that one!

Celebrate your 10 reviews, and if the negative review is constructive, at least you'll get something out of it. Otherwise, it's best to ignore it and move on.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
"9 out of 10 readers prefer," like the old gum ad with 4 out of 5 dentists. I'd take that ratio. Congrats!

Ha! Love that analogy! It's good to keep things in perspective. :)

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
October update:

Ebooks sold: 63 (24 TRC; 39 TFL)
Paperbacks sold: 13 (all TRC)
Free downloads: 0
KENP read: 11,643 (6569 TRC; 4924 TFL)

Totals:

Ebooks sold: 416
Paperbacks sold: 13
Free downloads: 355
KENP read: 77,280

Steady sales again this month. Sequel picked up another five-star review. I made TRC available in paperback using the KDP beta, as a bit of an experiment; so far it's turning out well. I cancelled the contract for audiobook production and reopened the project to auditions. Working on getting TFL available in paperback, and, of course, writing the third book.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
That's an interesting perspective, blackrice. But just FYI, this forum is about documenting their stats and methods as a journal so others can learn from them.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
A negative review is a good sign. It means people are taking a chance on your book. Not everyone will like it, but they're trying it.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Don't have much to add except encouragement. Authors can succeed with self-publishing, and I think your work is good enough for that to happen.

And working on book 3 is awesome. :)

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
To the OP, sounds interesting enough so downloaded it. Reading another right now but will read yours next

Daffyjkl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi lizo27,
This is a great thread. I am seeing very similar results after my first six weeks of self-publishing online with Amazon. I have read the entire thread and really enjoyed the read. Getting reviews has been my greatest battle, only two so far, despite the promise of many more (maybe 20 promised). Is there something that stands out as the key to more sales and getting those reviews? I only have one book online with Amazon Kindle Unlimited, but I am considering advertising. Is there a minimum number of reviews that you should have before promoting using Amazon advertising? I'm thinking that a potential reader is far more likely to risk their £2.99 on a book that has five, or ten or more reviews than just two. I do have a couple of other books that I'm working on, but they are six months away from being ready to publish. Thanks in advance.
Good luck with your work,
Jason