Learning as I go: lizo27's self-publishing thread

KiwiChick

Editing like a caffeinated chipmunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asakkalon.com
Really, I think a better cover couldn't hurt, and your story should make it easy. Nice gothic structure in the fog, find a good clear font for the title and author name, with a Hal Bishop mystery subtitle, and I think it would give forwards a much clearer picture of the contents.

^ This.

I'm certainly no expert, but I've heard that covers matter a lot for buyers who don't know you or your writing. I know I'm intrigued by a good cover.

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
You could try Fiverr for a cover. They're as cheap as 5 dollars and some of the artists are decent. You should read through the reviews and look at their portfolio. A few might use a unlicensed photo, so you should be careful. However, there are some really good clean covers on there.

Dragonwriter

Fluorescent Pudding-Brain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlkingwriting.com
Yep, I'll toss my unsolicited comment in and agree with those suggesting you try to get a better cover. I think at this stage in your process, that's more important than things like paying for advertising. Your cover is your face to the reader, and the one you have now tells me nothing about your book (except, unfortunately, that it was written by a new self-published author). Your blurb looks fine, and your Look Inside looks good too (that's the first thing I look at beyond the cover--if I find too many errors on the first page, I move on).

Good luck! Your story looks interesting!

Edit to add random comment: I was curious about why you call them the "Hal Bishop Mysteries" when your blurb and the early pages suggest that the main character is Jem.

Last edited:

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
Working on the cover. :) Jem's the viewpoint character, but Hal's the one who solves the mysteries, so he gets the series title.

KiwiChick

Editing like a caffeinated chipmunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asakkalon.com
lizo27, I read the first few pages of your book on Amazon, and I have to say I really like your voice. It comes across to me as stiff, formal, and subtly hilarious.

I should say the "stranger than any rumour could account for" in the first paragraph didn't seem quite right to me--can rumours account for things?--and almost made me stop reading, but because I've read your thread here I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt. I was pleasantly surprised. So I bought your book. (I might not have time to read it for a while, though, because I already have a lot of books on my "to read" list.)

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, February update. I'm doing January too, since it was a short month for me.

January:

Units Sold: 9
Free Downloads: 130
KENP: 95

February:

Units Sold: 11
Free Downloads: 0
KENP: 2697

Totals:

Units Sold: 20
KENP: 2792

Sales have been virtually nonexistent for the last two weeks. I've reached out to some bloggers but don't expect any reviews for 6-8 weeks. Book has a shiny new cover. I'm doing a bit of an experiment as well: running a small ad campaign with the new cover to see if the response is different/better. And, of course, still working faithfully on book two. I think I may even be able to get it out ahead of schedule.

Tavia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Oh, wow, that cover is wonderful!!! Awesome work, and kudos to you for making the change.

morrighan

Always writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lizmadridauthor.com
Hang In There!

Thanks, all. I tried not to come into this with unrealistic expectations, but it's hard to feel like my book is sort of . . . disappearing. And the resources for marketing are pretty limited. I can't keep paying for ads. I don't have a blog or a Twitter and even if I made one, it'd just be another thing I have to somehow draw attention to. It doesn't help that I don't really know what it means to be successful as a self-publisher. Should I feel like a success if I sell a hundred books? A thousand? And I have no way to get reviews--I can't do giveaways, because of KDP Select, and I doubt I'd get many reviews out of one anyway. It's my understanding that bloggers and book reviewers just don't do self-published books. So I guess I just have to let book one sink to the bottom of the sea while I work on book two. :(

I probably need to read the rest of the thread before answering this but I don't want to forget my train of thought at the moment.

As far as success goes, all depends on what your goals are and what your definition of success is. But like most people here have mentioned, self-publishing - or being an author in general - is a marathon, not a sprint. And so right now, while it may seem like your book is sinking (it's not, it just needs to be discovered and for this to happen you have to do more than just look at your author dashboard 10 times a day).

I self-published in 2014 and I had no idea what I was doing then. I still don't, not really, but I knew enough that by the time I released my third book (the first of a series), I knew that along with writing a good book, I had to learn a few things, like choosing the right keywords, the right categories and subcategories for my book, and even tweeting something about my book once a day. Some well-known writers tell you not to tweet about your book or they'll unfollow you (that's their prerogative), but I think some sort of balance is good, and once a day won't kill your reputation. Tweeting 10 times? Probably. I also create quote art which you can do using Canva.com which is free though I use whatever app I have on my phone to create mine and post those on FB, Twitter, or Instagram.

I was struck when you said you didn't have a blog or twitter and that if you did, it would just be something else you'd need to draw attention to. Your book isn't going to sell itself, so you'll probably need to step out of your comfort zone a little bit, and try a few new things. Things will look up, just don't let this slump stop you from writing that sequel.

When you wrote your book, did you have an About the Author page with a link directing the reader to your website or Facebook Page? If you're already on Goodreads and have claimed your book, you can even set up a "blog" there as well, if you don't want to set one up on Wordpress or Blogger or other platforms. If you're wondering what to blog about, write about why you wrote your book? What was the inspiration behind it? What inspired you to create your character? Your villain? Where do you write? If anything, writing about these topics (and others) will jumpstart your enthusiasm about why you wrote your book in the first place. Just don't give up because remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint and you've got people here who can help you, even if it's a virtual hug or a pep talk.

:)

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
The new cover is stunning! I hope it'll grab lots of eyes.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great feedback on the cover. If anyone is looking for a cover designer, I can't recommend vikncharlie on fiverr strongly enough. She does excellent work for a very good price.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm hooked. I want to know what happens! But I don't have a Kindle. :( :( :(

Your writing is good. It's the old-school way that's so rarely seen now, that has a different confidence to it.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm hooked. I want to know what happens! But I don't have a Kindle. :( :( :(

Your writing is good. It's the old-school way that's so rarely seen now, that has a different confidence to it.

If you're not opposed to Kindle on philosophical grounds (some people are ), you can get a free app for your smartphone or tablet and read Kindle books that way. I don't think I've read a Kindle book on actual Kindle in years. :)

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
If you're not opposed to Kindle on philosophical grounds (some people are ), you can get a free app for your smartphone or tablet and read Kindle books that way. I don't think I've read a Kindle book on actual Kindle in years. :)
I, uh, don't have those either... :tongue :Hangs head in shame:

Last edited:

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
March update. February too: Got an extra sale and some page reads on leap day.

February:

Units Sold: 12
KENP: 2967

March:

Units Sold: 38
KENP: 2211

Totals:

Units Sold: 59
KENP: 5178

Ten of this month's sales were from me buying them for an Amazon giveaway--another experiment. Had a nice review come in this month, which gave me a boost on Goodreads. I think it's safe to say that the cover change made a difference. Still waiting on a few more blog reviews.

Still working on the next book in the series, and fighting the feeling that I'm literally the least successful self-publisher on this board. I hope to have the next book out either at the end of this month or the beginning of the next; guess I'll see if that makes a difference.

Tavia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
That's a nice increase from February to March! I'm so glad the cover seems to be doing its job :)

And you sound like you're moving ahead on the next book! I remember you were thinking you'd have it out in August.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
That's a nice increase from February to March! I'm so glad the cover seems to be doing its job :)

And you sound like you're moving ahead on the next book! I remember you were thinking you'd have it out in August.

Yes, this one is coming along much faster than the first one did! I wonder if that's usually the case with a series?

blrude

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, this one is coming along much faster than the first one did! I wonder if that's usually the case with a series?

It definitely helps to write characters you already know pretty well, but there's also the practice you've put in to get to where you are today, the mistakes you've made that you don't have to make again, and the confidence you've gained from doing the whole write and publish thing once already. It adds up.

Use that momentum! :D

davidjgalloway

Opus is my guy.
Registered
Reaction score
I love reading this page from top to bottom, lizo27. Neat to see the progression as those sales appear! Many congrats, and may it continue :)