Learning as I go: lizo27's self-publishing thread

romance2die4

Registered
Reaction score
Hi lizo27,
This is a great thread. I am seeing very similar results after my first six weeks of self-publishing online with Amazon. I have read the entire thread and really enjoyed the read. Getting reviews has been my greatest battle, only two so far, despite the promise of many more (maybe 20 promised). Is there something that stands out as the key to more sales and getting those reviews? I only have one book online with Amazon Kindle Unlimited, but I am considering advertising. Is there a minimum number of reviews that you should have before promoting using Amazon advertising? I'm thinking that a potential reader is far more likely to risk their £2.99 on a book that has five, or ten or more reviews than just two. I do have a couple of other books that I'm working on, but they are six months away from being ready to publish. Thanks in advance.
Good luck with your work,
Jason

I am also newly published and in a similar situation to yours. My philosophy at the moment is watch and learn. I don't know if my strategy will work, but I am letting my book (which is broken up into a series) just sit there on Amazon with not much promotion. I sometimes do pushes to build my mailing list by giving it away in Instafreebie promotions or other promotions. This allows me to see what works and what doesn't. I also keep a spreadsheet of promotional opportunities and advertising techniques. Meanwhile, I am almost finished with my second book and have started a third (I hope they will be ready by the summer). I am hoping that by experimenting with inexpensive promotions and advertising, I will have a better start with the next two. I will have a mailing list and several things lined up so that I can come out strong with re-releasing book one as a bundle, and following it up with the two new titles in a short time-span. I don't see the point of throwing a lot of money at advertising at this point. My first book has generated six reviews without much effort on my part. I have decided that getting reviews should be low on my priority list. Is there really that much difference between a book with ten reviews or fifty? Considering the time you have to invest to chase down those reviews, it's not worth it. It would be great if you could get your 20 reviews though especially since some promotional sites have number of reviews requirements.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
November update (sorry it's late):

Ebooks sold: 32 (20 TRC; 12 TFL)
Paperbacks sold: 5 (all TRC)
Free downloads: 0
KENP read: 12,394 (7167 TRC; 5227 TFL)

Totals:

Ebooks sold: 448
Paperbacks sold: 18
Free downloads: 355
KENP read: 89,674

Bit of a sales slump this month, but a slight uptick in KENP read. People are still buying the paperback! I went ahead and did a paperback of the second book as well. That came out last week (so technically a December update, but what the hey). Have some new auditions to listen to for the audiobook. And book three is coming along nicely!

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
That's great to hear, Liz! Looking forward to reading Book 3 when it comes out.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
December update (late again!):

Ebooks sold: 21 (12 TRC; 9 TFL)
Paperbacks sold: 10 (7 TRC, 3 TFL)
KENP read: 8902 (6455 TRC; 2447 TFL)

Totals:

Ebooks sold: 469
Paperbacks sold: 28
KENP read: 98,576

Sales down again, but as I've cut way back on advertising, I'm not really surprised. Paperbacks are selling better than expected. Still working on my audiobook, and book three is nearly finished!

KiwiChick

Editing like a caffeinated chipmunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asakkalon.com
Your totals are looking like some pretty solid numbers. Way to go. I hope you have a big celebration planned for when you break 500 ebooks sold. :)

Congrats on the progress with book three!

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Paperbacks tend to do very well in December. Ebooks, not so much. Then it surges back in January, as the people who got kindles and e-readers for Christmas go looking for content.That's what I learned on Kboards, and from my limited observation (Just a year, mind), it seems to be generally true.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
January update:

Ebooks sold: 17 (10 TRC; 7 TFL)
Paperbacks sold: 3 (1 TRC, 2 TFL)
KENP read: 6072 (3041 TRC; 3031 TFL)

Totals:

Ebooks sold: 486
Paperbacks sold: 31
KENP read: 104,648

Getting close to the 500 mark on ebooks! Planning to have the third book out in paperback and ebook at the end of this month. Considering a Goodreads giveaway for the first book to run around the same time as the release of the third book--would like to hear from anyone who's done one. Looking forward to what February brings!

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
February update (a bit late):

Ebooks sold: 11 (5 TRC; 6 TFL)
Paperbacks sold: 4 (2 TRC, 2 TFL)
KENP read: 3332 (2249 TRC; 1083 TFL)

Totals:

Ebooks sold: 497
Paperbacks sold: 35
KENP read: 107,980

Didn't make 500 in February--but as of Saturday, I'm in the 500 copies sold club!:snoopy:Sales in general down, due mostly to lack of advertising, but I'm happy with it. Book three will be out in ebook soon--just waiting on my cover. Paperback will have to wait a bit longer--the girl who does my interiors is on vacation. Fingers crossed I'll have the first audiobook out soon!

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo!

Milestone by milestone, we climb! And every book pushes us up a little faster. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how quickly you add another zero, once that audiobook drops.

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Good launch! General consensus is that anything ending up within the top 100K is a solid showing.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Just picked up the first book since it's free right now. It may be a while before I get around to it, but I'll be sure to write a review if I like it.

Dona St Columb

Registered
Reaction score
Well done on reaching 500 sales! I've just downloaded the first book to my kindle :)

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the sales!

I just downloaded the free one too. Looking forward to reading it soon.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
March update:

Ebooks sold: 31 (7 TRC; 12 TFL; 12 TPM)
Paperbacks sold: 4 (2 TRC, 2 TFL)
Free downloads: 449 (all TRC)
KENP read: 7849 (5144 TRC; 2058 TFL; 647 TPM)

Totals:

Ebooks sold: 528
Paperbacks sold: 39
Free downloads: 804
KENP read: 115,829

Published book three this month, which gave me a nice little sales boost. Hope to have it out in paperback soon. The audiobook for book one should be available sometime this month, and hopefully production can get going on the audiobook for book two soon as well. Now to get to work on book four!

KiwiChick

Editing like a caffeinated chipmunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asakkalon.com
Congratulations on getting book three out in the world! You really seem to be powering through the series. Are you finding the books are getting easier or faster to write?

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, actually. I'm finding that the more I write these characters in this world, the better I'm getting to know them and the easier it's getting to write. Plus my confidence is building with each book.