Problem with Chinese artists (illustrators)

Dmitriy

Banned
Reaction score
Hello to all, I'm a newbie here.
Not sure it's right subforum to ask my question, but...

Ok, I have big problem. No, to tell the truth, I have very big problem.
For my book I want to work with watercolor artist from China.
And here is the core of the problem. Than you begins to speak with artists from Japan/Korea/China, (in they native language, because usual they dont' speak or don't write English) they are very kind, they ask question about project, tell price per picture (you agree with those price) and... completely disappear in silence after it.
Two years I try to break this iron wall.
Unfortunately, in Russia, there I live, don't exist art-agencies, no-one works with Asia (I try to find right people here, believe me!) in creative works.

I understand, what the main reason here os next: "we will work only with established agents in our land" (as example - "I can’t take request from international publishing organisations, I think if there is an agent who speaks Chinese and has a good reputation, I’ll discuss with him about the request then." (c)

But I'm unagented, I'm only beginning author, I'm don't have contacts, - all I have it's money, to pay artist for work.
Can someone help me in this case, friends, because I'm really reach my limits and tired to pay the translators for work without result?

PS Yes, I try to write letters to the Hong Kong and American art agencies - silence was the answer to me.

Thank you and forgive for my poor English.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Is this a children's book? If so, check out the requirements for publishers and agents in your country.

In the U.S., the writer queries regarding the story text content of their children's picture book, and then later, the people who work at the publisher choose the illustrator. (Or something like that.) I don't know how it is in Russia?

Dmitriy

Banned
Reaction score
No, it's YA (12+, maybe even 14+). In Russia different standarts, so here is my book have 16+ mark.
So, it's not a children book and publishers usual don't offer illustration for this kind of books.

Also, book now in translation to English for publishing in Europe/America.

PS I also currently work with illustrators from Norway and Mexico for my two other books, without any problems.

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Why don't you continue working with the illustrators from Norway and Mexico?

I'm confused. Is this book self-published?

If it has been picked up for publication by an actual, decent publisher, then shouldn't the publisher be the one to decide what illustrator(s) to use?

Dmitriy

Banned
Reaction score
Did you hear proverb "don't put all eggs in one basket"? The same reasons.
I'm highly satisfied by work with my artists but fot this one particular book I feel what it will be right, if it will be watercolor artist from Asia.

No, we don't want any relation with indie or self-published market.
The artist has the same rights as text author (me) and mentioned as co-author.

Also, I work only with high-end professional watercolor artists, it's not usual cheap art, so here is no problems with publishers later.

Last edited:

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
I heard stories - and have become a victim myself - of Russian publishers and other companies that use images - taking without paying, licensing, or otherwise legally acquiring artwork for their purposes as there isn't much to do about it legally for an artist abroad. Perhaps this deters your artists? It would deter me, to be honest. I will never forgive Azbooka. Have you offered advance payment? Perhaps that would help. I'm sorry this is happening as it is not fair, but commercial art theft is simply rampant in Russia as well as China (see eBay).

Dmitriy

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, Ravioli, you are right!
Azbooka (Азбука) it' not worst of all. Did you see Armade/Alfa-book (Армада/Альфа-книга) covers? They simply stole crops from famous blockbusters and after photoshop put it an they covers. It's not fun.

Yes, I offer advances, I offer full pre-payment to all Asian artist which I was in contact!
Two years ago I try to purchase rights on pre-painted picture from Japanese artist, which was suitable for my book.
20 letters on Japanese with numbers of questions from her and in the end than I ask for "tell me you data to provide payment" she disappear.
I try to reach her, two translators try to reach her, even curator from Japanese language school in Japan (!!) try to reach her - graveyard silence was the answer to all of us.
What's the hell is going on?!

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
People who are from a country, and practise art styles traditional to that country, don't necessarily live in that country. You might want to broaden your search to other countries. The art agencies you've worked with before might know someone. There are also often local societies for different art styles. Like if you're after Chinese brush painting, there are a number of societies for brush painters.

Dmitriy

Banned
Reaction score
I have 258 pages of bookmarks on Deviant. Surf through them (it takes 2,5 hours) and find what all suitable artist are from China/Thai/Vietnam/Korea/Japan. The problem stays the same.

I don't work with art agencies! I never work with them! In Russia don't exist art agencies, art agencies from Hong Kong and USA ignore my requests!
In Russia no one draw in anime style on professional level. No one sane will be spend money in unprofessional schoolboys.

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still confused. Are you an author with a publisher, and this publisher wants you to find an artist for this particular book?

Well, if the artists you want require art agencies, then either you find an art agency, or find another artist. If she doesn't want to give her art, she doesn't want to give her art.

There must be a reason why the foreign art agencies are giving you silence. Are you going through the "proper channels" or following procedures? Maybe you're not reaching the right people? Or maybe you're unclear about your intentions or expectations? Maybe those agencies don't work with certain countries?

My suggestion: Find other artists. If you can't find artists with the style you want, then you either learn how to draw, or give up on the idea of the particular style you want and use another art style, instead.

Good luck.

Dmitriy

Banned
Reaction score
Set of useless tips.

Proper people, fun. I live not on enlightened West, I live in the universal rubbish heap called Russia. How could I find here "proper people"? I serf via Internet, write to those people, which I able to find. Those guys don't even bother to answer to the request from Russia. What we talk about?

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Set of useless tips.

Proper people, fun. I live not on enlightened West, I live in the universal rubbish heap called Russia. How could I find here "proper people"? I serf via Internet, write to those people, which I able to find. Those guys don't even bother to answer to the request from Russia. What we talk about?

Sorry for giving you the useless tips, dude.

Maybe there is a reason they don't respond, if this is the way you talk to strangers who don't know your situation and who are just giving suggestions.

Well, have fun with the search. :) Good day, sir.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Maybe those guys are not in need of work or work only though agencies? Nothing you can do about that but choose a different illustrator. Perhaps one actively soliciting commissions

Dmitriy

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry for giving you the useless tips, dude.

Maybe there is a reason they don't respond, if this is the way you talk to strangers who don't know your situation and who are just giving suggestions.

Well, have fun with the search. :) Good day, sir.

I talk in normal way with people, who don't play a role of Captain Evidence and don't give useless tips.
You don't need to know have I or not publishing deal and etc., because it's meaningless information in this case.

Dmitriy

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe those guys are not in need of work or work only though agencies? Nothing you can do about that but choose a different illustrator. Perhaps one actively soliciting commissions
I write about it in topic post.
Different artist it's not a salvation for this case.
1. It's repetative situation with number of artists from Asia (note - only Asia! Europe, America - no problem);
2. Did you try to work with someone, to whom you pay money from your own pocket and you from the beginning don't like the results, because you know what the artist is not right for you own book? It will lead only to big problems for both of participants.
I don't like the art which I can find in this style (anime, one of substyles) from Europeans or Americans. Outside Asia don't exist artists, who work with watercolor in anime-substyle with the same quality.
It's very simple.

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
I talk in normal way with people, who don't play a role of Captain Evidence and don't give useless tips.
You don't need to know have I or not publishing deal and etc., because it's meaningless information in this case.

You mean, Captain Obvious, lol. :p

Again, sorry for the "useless tips".

1. It's repetative situation with number of artists from Asia (note - only Asia! Europe, America - no problem);
2. Did you try to work with someone, to whom you pay money from your own pocket and you from the beginning don't like the results, because you know what the artist is not right for you own book? It will lead only to big problems for both of participants.
I don't like the art which I can find in this style (anime, one of substyles) from Europeans or Americans. Outside Asia don't exist artists, who work with watercolor in anime-substyle with the same quality.
It's very simple.

Then...well, you're really stuck. *shrugs*

What else can we suggest in such a situation besides: find another artist, and good luck?

Last edited:

Dmitriy

Banned
Reaction score
Then...well, you're really stuck. *shrugs*

What else can we suggest in such a situation besides: find another artist, and good luck?

It's a big forum. There are many people who work with art agencies who can work with China too.
I think it will be much simplier, than I will be surf again and again through Web.
For this project I was taken money in debt in bank for 23% yearly for the 15 years (yet again - it's Russia), and I take vacation on the work for two weeks. All I received in the end - bank bill and silent disappearing from artist.
Of course, I'm slightly anger.

Last edited:

Dmitriy

Banned
Reaction score
<Mod hat on>

Finding a suitable artist can be a tricky proposition.

I see that people have been giving reasonable advice. I request that posters assume goodwill.

</Mod hat on>

Ok, so you think it's normal advice - "spend taken from bank debt money on the artist, which you don't like"? I'm just curious.

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
It's a big forum. There are many people who work with art agencies who can work with China too.
I think it will be much simplier, than I will be surf again and again through Web.
For this project I was taken money in debt in bank for 23% yearly for the 15 years (yet again - it's Russia), and I take vacation on the work for two weeks. All I received in the end - bank bill and silent disappearing from artist.
Of course, I'm slightly anger.

Then...find the people who can work with China?

What is it you're looking for on this forum? Other artists? Artists from China? Explanation for why artists flake and disappear on the job? Explanation on why the American and Hong Kong agencies aren't answering back? Are you asking for advice on how to approach the American/HK agencies? Your posts are not clear, to me.

Yes, looking for artists who who will not quit on you is difficult, regardless of what country you are from.

Ok, so you think it's normal advice - "spend taken from bank debt money on the artist, which you don't like"? I'm just curious.

I don't understand this at all. Are you taking out loans to pay for artists, and the artists end up dropping off the project(s)?

It's tough to find reliable artists. That is reality for many people.

Again, I don't understand what you hoped to find on this forum? (Besides "useless tips", lol.)

Dmitriy

Banned
Reaction score
Then...find the people who can work with China?

What is it you're looking for on this forum? Other artists? Artists from China? Explanation for why artists flake and disappear on the job? Explanation on why the American and Hong Kong agencies aren't answering back? Are you asking for advice on how to approach the American/HK agencies? Your posts are not clear, to me.

Yes, looking for artists who who will not quit on you is difficult, regardless of what country you are from.

I don't understand this at all. Are you taking out loans to pay for artists, and the artists end up dropping off the project(s)?

It's tough to find reliable artists. That is reality for many people.

Again, I don't understand what you hoped to find on this forum? (Besides "useless tips", lol.)

Links to the reputable art agencies who work with China and take requests from "beloved mother" Russia citizens without publishing background.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It's very simple.

Yes it is very simple. You prefer to have your problem than rather than actually do anything that would solve it. There are plenty of traditional Chinese artists actually seeking work that you could choose from. They are only platforms that have already been mentioned in this thread.

Last edited:

Dmitriy

Banned
Reaction score
Yes it is very simple. You prefer to have your problem than rather than actually do anything that would solve it. There are plenty of traditional Chinese artists actually seeking work that you could choose from. They are only platforms that have already been mentioned in this thread.
They search for work, right.
But they search for work within China from the chinese employers. Not outsiders or foreigners.
Chinese artsite "Crown" (it's chinese Pixiv) for chinese only.
And most of the artists on those sites are unqualified schoolboys with corresponding horrible art.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
<Mod hat on again>

Let me say this a little more clearly.

However one has been treated elsewhere, on this site one treats other posters with respect.

If you ask for advice and help and feel that you are not being treated respectfully, you may report any post to the moderators. If you are not getting the help you need, you might see if you can clarify what you are asking for.

This conversation shall be conducted on civilized terms or the thread shall be locked.

</Mod hat on again>

Dmitriy

Banned
Reaction score
<Mod hat on again>

Let me say this a little more clearly.

However one has been treated elsewhere, on this site one treats other posters with respect.

If you ask for advice and help and feel that you are not being treated respectfully, you may report any post to the moderators. If you are not getting the help you need, you might see if you can clarify what you are asking for.

This conversation shall be conducted on civilized terms or the thread shall be locked.

</Mod hat on again>

I repeat - I don't need advices.
All I need - links to the reputable art agencies who work with China and take requests from Russia citizens without publishing background.
That's all.

For now no one can provide me those simple and useful links.