Problem with Chinese artists (illustrators)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I repeat - I don't need advices.
All I need - links to the reputable art agencies who work with China and take requests from Russia citizens without publishing background.
That's all.

For now no one can provide me those simple and useful links.

I am afraid what you are asking for is pretty esoteric.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Because you've put too many restrictions on the help that people might offer. You seem to want only Chinese artists that work in traditional Chinese art, actually located in China, who will work with a stated Russian citizen for a book that will likely be released internationally.

Why is that too restrictive?

Here are your challenges:

Not all Chinese artists live in China
Not all Chinese artists work in traditional art
Not all artists that create traditional art are Chinese
Not all traditional Chinese artists are interested in their art being on a book cover
Not all cover artists are willing to sell their art to appear internationally
You living in Russia may have nothing to do with your lack of success.

Perhaps some of our esteemed members who live in China know of an artist or agency. But rather than looking to traditional artists, have you looked at COVER artists who might be able to work in the style of traditional Chinese art? This is actually an important question, because cover art has very particular needs and not every picture can be bent to fit into the size constraints.

Just giving you options of multiple places to look. Sometimes opening the door a little wider past what you believe you want can surprise you.

Last edited:

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
All I need - links to the reputable art agencies who work with China and take requests from Russia citizens without publishing background.
That's all.

For now no one can provide me those simple and useful links.
Yeah. That's true. I don't think we can provide you with those links.

mark r henry

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm interesting maybe try Craig's list no joke, I live near Vancouver B.C Canada and we have tons of Chinese people here, I'm sure you could find an artist from Vancouver who meet's your criteria. You might need to place an ad of your own looking for someone.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Dmitriy, the folks here have been pretty patient with you. Especially the forum mods. And I think we all understand the difficulties of trying to converse with someone whose primary language isn't our own. But it seems to me that you latched onto this website to take, and you've got no intention of giving. Frankly, you've been pretty damn rude. If you don't like the answers you get, why not say, "Thanks," and then ignore the advice and then move on to the next response. Criticizing people who take time out of their day to try to help a perfect stranger will not win you big points here.

Perhaps you ought to listen to the forum moderators.

Dmitriy

Banned
Reaction score
Because you've put too many restrictions on the help that people might offer. You seem to want only Chinese artists that work in traditional Chinese art, actually located in China, who will work with a stated Russian citizen for a book that will likely be released internationally.

Why is that too restrictive?

Here are your challenges:

Not all Chinese artists live in China
Not all Chinese artists work in traditional art
Not all artists that create traditional art are Chinese
Not all traditional Chinese artists are interested in their art being on a book cover
Not all cover artists are willing to sell their art to appear internationally
You living in Russia may have nothing to do with your lack of success.

Perhaps some of our esteemed members who live in China know of an artist or agency. But rather than looking to traditional artists, have you looked at COVER artists who might be able to work in the style of traditional Chinese art? This is actually an important question, because cover art has very particular needs and not every picture can be bent to fit into the size constraints.

Just giving you options of multiple places to look. Sometimes opening the door a little wider past what you believe you want can surprise you.

See, I don't talk about cover.
I talk about pictures inside book (50-60 pictures).
Here is my working request:
http://forum.deviantart.com/jobs/offers/2161961/

Also, don't forget about prices.
American/European illustrators are always much expensively than Chinese.
In Japan one illustration costs 500-1000 USD, in Korea starting from 300 USD, in China (with the same quality) 150-200 USD it's normal price.
In Russia price for one illustration begins from 40 USD (we are beggars here) and rarely more than 100 USD; but in Russia don't draw anime.

In Europe one picture price stars from 1000 EUR, in US from 1500 USD. It's impossible to cure for me.

Last edited:

Dmitriy

Banned
Reaction score
I think I should close this project.
I spend two years for finishing this book, 3500 USD to translate it in English and "thanks" to the asian artist nonsense I cannot use it.
It's fine, even great.
Hate this situation.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it didn't work out. :( Maybe the next project?

(Or maybe it's a lesson in being more flexible in finding an artist next time...? Or maybe to learn how to adapt and adjust to changes to a project...)

Good luck on your next project.

Last edited:

Dmitriy

Banned
Reaction score
The middle monthly salary in Russia - 150 USD.
Next project? Maybe next life?

The people, who live in Europe/America simple don't understand how we live here.
Bank debts at 40-70% yearly from loan sum; middle monthly salary 75-150 USD, artists who simple cannot draw what you want and unclamed on international markets and etc, etc, etc...

Last edited:

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Dmitriy, I understand your frustration. I have some things to say, but I don't know if they will help. I work as an illustrator when the project interests me. I am in the US.
What you are seeking is not simple at all.

What you try to do here may, in fact, not be possible. You are a single person, with no credentials, reaching out from a country that does not have a good reputation when it comes to respecting artists' rights. From there, you are reaching out to a country that does not have, itself, a well-developed market for producing and selling the kind of work you want, and where you cannot communicate directly due to the language barrier. (In fact, it's more than a language barrier. Your intended market doesn't even share a common alphabet.) Also, are you clear in what you say you want from the artist when you reach out? Do you want to buy existing work for reproducing? Do you want to commission custom made illustrations? Do you have an illustrator's brief for them to see? Either way, there are lot of complex considerations for the artist regarding copyright, regarding how he or she will be able to work/communicate with you, regarding how the artist can protect self from a bad outcome. I think it easily could be seen as too much trouble and risk.

If this is the case, are you so determined to have an Asian artist, preferably a native Chinese artist, do your illustrations that you would rather give up than make another choice? Up to you, of course. But before you do, maybe try this: ask your existing artists, Norwegian and Mexican, if they know anyone (anywhere) who could produce what you want. They know you and they know you are reliable. They can be your reference to a satisfactory artist. Be warned that it will difficult to find an illustrator who works in watercolor, and anyone who does will likely be very expensive. That's because watercolor painting is a technically difficult medium for an artist who primarily works on demand to a deadline.

But if you don't want to be flexible at all in your requirements, I am afraid you may indeed have blocked yourself.

Dmitriy

Banned
Reaction score
It will be right, but we talk about China - the world wide center for piracy and stolenship.
The reputation in China costs nothing.

Also I don't have problems with other countries outside Asia.
And anime illutration not from China/Japan/Korea will not required in the world (yeah, I try Japan and Korea before with the same results). The anime art / artists outside Asia is unsalable and they art costs nothing - simply because they not from Asia.
I want watercolor art only.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Dimitry -

Have you considered that your communication style is affecting the outcome?

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
It seems to me that by refusing to compromise on your list of demands, you have baffled yourself into a dead end corner, and an expensive one at that. In the words of a wise old Brit--"You can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes, you just might find what you need." Stop talking and listen to the advice these posters are offering. They are knowledgeable and their advice is realistic. Decide which of your "must haves" are not realistic and remove them from your plan. Then go from there. --s6

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Seems to me you're asking the wrong question. Your requirement is technically quite simple: You want a Chinese-based artist to do watercolors because you like the style found there. That's not unreasonable.

The problem is THEY don't want to work with YOU, for whatever reason. You've already tried this route many times and have been burned time and again.

Your question now is not where can I find more people to fit my requirements, but how can I get them to work with me? Because otherwise you're going to keep running into the same problem.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't look like the OP has logged in for two months...

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Be warned that it will difficult to find an illustrator who works in watercolor, and anyone who does will likely be very expensive. That's because watercolor painting is a technically difficult medium for an artist who primarily works on demand to a deadline.

Having read the entire thread, I think this is the issue. He wants the highest quality art of a very specific type. People are interested then disappear as soon as payment is mentioned. It's like complaining that you can't get Michelin star quality food at McDonald's 99p menu prices.

Dmitriy

Banned
Reaction score
Having read the entire thread, I think this is the issue. He wants the highest quality art of a very specific type. People are interested then disappear as soon as payment is mentioned. It's like complaining that you can't get Michelin star quality food at McDonald's 99p menu prices.
No.
The problem was solved, but it costs me a lot of nerves and money.
PS. Picture price varied from 250 to 1200 USD per picture and there are hundreds of pictures (depend of artist) + cost of translator to Chinese (I can speak Japanese and Korean).

Last edited: