• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Kindle Direct Publishing

Chris1Alexis

Registered
Reaction score
Hey All,

I recently learned about Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (https://www.amazon.com/?tag=absowrit-20) -- it sounds great. But is it the path to any real potential success? Or is this where novels go to die?

And are you treated fairly?

Thanks!

Chris

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
I have used KDP for several projects, mostly collections of stories and a few works that were previously published in print by a small press. It isn't the path to any "real potential success," but most forms of self-publishing aren't. (Yes, I know there are exceptions, but they are few and far between.) I'm not sure it's "where novels go to die"—some (particularly those which are unedited, poorly written, etc.) are already dead before they get there.

If you already have a readership in place, you might enjoy some modest—or better than modest—sales. If you are unknown, you'll likely stay unknown (just like an other form of self-publishing).

I'm not sure what you mean by "treated fairly." Amazon makes your work available and pays you a modest royalty.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Success in self-publishing is very dependent on the quality of the work and how well you market and advertise it. The only time Amazon is going to promote your book is when it's sells like hotcakes. So the product must be high quality (writing, and editing which is the downfall of many self-pubbed books) and you must promote it yourself. Amazon doesn't screw you over, and it's not only option out there for distributors.

Since your other thread was about querying, KDP and self-publishing isn't like trade publishing. Trade publishers invest in your book in the wishes to make money with you on it. Jobs like editing, typesetting, advertising can be done by the publisher, and of course you can get an advance on the book. If you're not wishing to take on the entire business of publishing your own book, searching for a publisher will be more to your liking.

Last edited:

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
Amazon doesn't screw you over, and it's only one option out there for distributors.

The first part of this sentence is highly debatable. The second part is factually wrong. Both Kobo and Smashwords distribute globally, and they actually do it easier for the author than Amazon does.
I also think it's false to say that Amazon distributes, they don't. They don't deliver to any bookstores, and they may even prevent you from having your books for sale online anywhere else.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Books on Kindle are all offered the same kind of sales page and fulfillment. So how they do will depend largely on, well, everything else.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
The first part of this sentence is highly debatable. The second part is factually wrong. Both Kobo and Smashwords distribute globally, and they actually do it easier for the author than Amazon does.

Opps, sorry. Forgot to add in "not". Fixed now. I wouldn't otherwise say it's the only one out there if I meant to say it's not.

Last edited:

Chris1Alexis

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight!

I would definitely prefer to be traditionally published, so I could see my novel on bookstore shelves and people could physically hold my book. But the Amazon thing is kind of a back-up plan. I'll have to look into Kobo and Smashwords!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you want a deal with a trade publisher then stick to your guns. It's going to take time, and you'll almost certainly face a lot of rejection, which can be hard: but plenty of us get there in the end.

Don't go for self-publishing just because it's quicker. It's no easier--in fact, it's much more difficult in all sorts of ways--and like trade publishing, there are no guarantees that your book will sell.

Write a great book, polish it as well as you can, and then submit it appropriately. And write your next book and your next, and you'll improve with each one.

Reactions: PraiseRao

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
KDP also goes out of its way to make sure you can't figure out how well you're selling or what your income is likely to be (you're paid by pages read, according to some formula known only to them). The Amazon Prime thing -- where you go exclusive with them -- has a pot of money allocated each month which is split among all the books in that program. No matter how well you sell you will never make more than that pot of money, which you will be sharing with everyone else who sold a book that month.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
KDP also goes out of its way to make sure you can't figure out how well you're selling or what your income is likely to be (you're paid by pages read, according to some formula known only to them). The Amazon Prime thing -- where you go exclusive with them -- has a pot of money allocated each month which is split among all the books in that program. No matter how well you sell you will never make more than that pot of money, which you will be sharing with everyone else who sold a book that month.

The basic sales though KDP don't work like that. The charts show the sales, and the profit is a set amount of that sale. You don't share that money with anyone else, as it's a direct payment per sale of a book. The page reads thing with the pot is for their borrowing system, which requires being in Select. That's separate to sales.

elfletcherauthor

Registered
Reaction score
The other problem I have found with KDP (which I used for my last four books) is that once it's there, many, main stream traditional publishers will not look at it unless you can show them high volume sales.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Well, obviously if you published on KDP you have choosing to self-publish. And ideas about being "discovered" there are akin to wandering around the local mall hoping to be discovered by a fashion model scout.

And yes, there are two programs. One is normal sales charged per copy. The other, which is optional, is the lending library which pays a fluctuating but generally declining rate for each page read.

Last edited:

Kay

I wish I was as cool as this cat.
Registered
Reaction score
And if anyone is out there wondering how much Amazon pays per page read . . . it's one-third of a cent per page. So a reader has to read 3 pages of your book in order for you to make a penny. That's what I put together from my last royalty statement anyway.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I thought it was more around 0.04 -- but yes, in that ball park. And it is not set, it changes each month, so far trending gently downwards

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
My first novel is almost ready to submit to KDP. I've decided to publish via ebook first.

1. Is my bank information safe?

2. Can I use my own icon logo design. Or at a name? Even just my name as in Tapia Books--which I hate to do because it's so obvious..

Last edited:

micahkolding

Banned
Reaction score
1. I've never had any problems with security as far as Amazon goes. They use their own web services, of course, and I can say as somebody professionally familiar with AWS that it's about as secure as you can get.

2. I'm not sure I understand this question. You have the option of setting up your own author page with Amazon, if that helps.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
micahkolding

1. I've never had any problems with security as far as Amazon goes. They use their own web services, of course, and I can say as somebody professionally familiar with AWS that it's about as secure as you can get. Thank you!

2. I'm not sure I understand this question. You have the option of setting up your own author page with Amazon, if that helps. I'm talking about the publisher's logo that appears at the bottom of the title page as in...

DRESS HER IN CHAMELEON

Cindy Wiggins Tapia

Flashbang Books
Atlanta​

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomalanbrosz.wordpress.com
You can create your own publishing company, even if it's just your own books. Some people do this quite informally, but you can do it right with a DBA and everything. This can be listed as the publisher on the paperwork, I believe, although it's been some time since I launched a book on Kindle. If you are using your own ISBN numbers, they can be set up as being from your publishing company, too.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Aha!

According to the KDP eBook Metadata Guidelines under Publisher, "If you are the book's author or publisher, you may enter your name or the name of your publishing company" on the ebook detail page. Nowhere does it say anything about needing to purchase an Amazon number. In fact, it stresses not to mention Amazon or Kindle or a former publisher.

[url=https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G201097560#:~:text=name(s).-,Publisher,and%2For%20publishers%20like%20you.&text=Customers%20see%20the%20publisher%20name%20on%20the%20book's%20detail%20page.]eBook Metadata Guidelines[/URL]

Last edited:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Yeah, I've seen them. An aquaintence added her paperback's ISBN on the ebook version.

Er, that wasn't a good idea. ISBNs identify not only each individual book, but each format the book is in. If she's already got an ISBN assigned to a paperback, she shouldn't use it for an ebook as well.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Er, that wasn't a good idea. ISBNs identify not only each individual book, but each format the book is in. If she's already got an ISBN assigned to a paperback, she shouldn't use it for an ebook as well.
Er is right. I didn't know all that until I started reading up on it. Then, I saw the ISBI on her ebook. That was her first book. She went on to write a series of children's books, using her own kids as the characters.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomalanbrosz.wordpress.com
Amazon's information page on ISBNs is here:

If you want to create your own publishing company, it's a good idea to have your own ISBN numbers. You buy them from Bowker, usually. You must assign separate numbers for each version (Epub, Kindle, paperback, etc.)

I published my first book, Castle Falcon, through Amazon, and eventually created a publishing company for that using my own ISBN numbers. If you want to just use Amazon's supplied ID numbers, that's okay too.

My second book, Roger Mantis, was published by a PAL (Published and Listed) publishing company, and of course they provided the ISBN numbers.

Last edited: