AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Kindle Direct Publishing

figuring it all out Chris1Alexis's Avatar

Kindle Direct Publishing

Hey All,

I recently learned about Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (https://kdp.amazon.com/) -- it sounds great. But is it the path to any real potential success? Or is this where novels go to die?

And are you treated fairly?

Thanks!

Chris

I have used KDP for several projects, mostly collections of stories and a few works that were previously published in print by a small press. It isn't the path to any "real potential success," but most forms of self-publishing aren't. (Yes, I know there are exceptions, but they are few and far between.) I'm not sure it's "where novels go to die"—some (particularly those which are unedited, poorly written, etc.) are already dead before they get there.

If you already have a readership in place, you might enjoy some modest—or better than modest—sales. If you are unknown, you'll likely stay unknown (just like an other form of self-publishing).

I'm not sure what you mean by "treated fairly." Amazon makes your work available and pays you a modest royalty.

Success in self-publishing is very dependent on the quality of the work and how well you market and advertise it. The only time Amazon is going to promote your book is when it's sells like hotcakes. So the product must be high quality (writing, and editing which is the downfall of many self-pubbed books) and you must promote it yourself. Amazon doesn't screw you over, and it's not only option out there for distributors.

Since your other thread was about querying, KDP and self-publishing isn't like trade publishing. Trade publishers invest in your book in the wishes to make money with you on it. Jobs like editing, typesetting, advertising can be done by the publisher, and of course you can get an advance on the book. If you're not wishing to take on the entire business of publishing your own book, searching for a publisher will be more to your liking.
    Last edited by Kerosene; 01-31-2016 at 02:50 AM.
    Don't Fear Failure.

"Look at the sound of all these people on fire. I want to be on fire, do you want to be on fire?" -- Most Roads Lead to Home, Listener.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

practical experience, FTW Weirdmage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WillSauger View Post
    Amazon doesn't screw you over, and it's only one option out there for distributors.
    The first part of this sentence is highly debatable. The second part is factually wrong. Both Kobo and Smashwords distribute globally, and they actually do it easier for the author than Amazon does.
    I also think it's false to say that Amazon distributes, they don't. They don't deliver to any bookstores, and they may even prevent you from having your books for sale online anywhere else.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Books on Kindle are all offered the same kind of sales page and fulfillment. So how they do will depend largely on, well, everything else.
    Emily Veinglory

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdmage View Post
    The first part of this sentence is highly debatable. The second part is factually wrong. Both Kobo and Smashwords distribute globally, and they actually do it easier for the author than Amazon does.
    Opps, sorry. Forgot to add in "not". Fixed now. I wouldn't otherwise say it's the only one out there if I meant to say it's not.
    Last edited by Kerosene; 01-31-2016 at 02:49 AM.
    Don't Fear Failure.

"Look at the sound of all these people on fire. I want to be on fire, do you want to be on fire?" -- Most Roads Lead to Home, Listener.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

figuring it all out Chris1Alexis's Avatar
    Thanks for the insight!

I would definitely prefer to be traditionally published, so I could see my novel on bookstore shelves and people could physically hold my book. But the Amazon thing is kind of a back-up plan. I'll have to look into Kobo and Smashwords!

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    If you want a deal with a trade publisher then stick to your guns. It's going to take time, and you'll almost certainly face a lot of rejection, which can be hard: but plenty of us get there in the end.

Don't go for self-publishing just because it's quicker. It's no easier--in fact, it's much more difficult in all sorts of ways--and like trade publishing, there are no guarantees that your book will sell.

Write a great book, polish it as well as you can, and then submit it appropriately. And write your next book and your next, and you'll improve with each one.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    KDP also goes out of its way to make sure you can't figure out how well you're selling or what your income is likely to be (you're paid by pages read, according to some formula known only to them). The Amazon Prime thing -- where you go exclusive with them -- has a pot of money allocated each month which is split among all the books in that program. No matter how well you sell you will never make more than that pot of money, which you will be sharing with everyone else who sold a book that month.

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    KDP also goes out of its way to make sure you can't figure out how well you're selling or what your income is likely to be (you're paid by pages read, according to some formula known only to them). The Amazon Prime thing -- where you go exclusive with them -- has a pot of money allocated each month which is split among all the books in that program. No matter how well you sell you will never make more than that pot of money, which you will be sharing with everyone else who sold a book that month.
    The basic sales though KDP don't work like that. The charts show the sales, and the profit is a set amount of that sale. You don't share that money with anyone else, as it's a direct payment per sale of a book. The page reads thing with the pot is for their borrowing system, which requires being in Select. That's separate to sales.
    * Polenth *

Website | Blog / Send Review Requests | Twitter
    Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    The other problem I have found with KDP (which I used for my last four books) is that once it's there, many, main stream traditional publishers will not look at it unless you can show them high volume sales.

Well, obviously if you published on KDP you have choosing to self-publish. And ideas about being "discovered" there are akin to wandering around the local mall hoping to be discovered by a fashion model scout.

And yes, there are two programs. One is normal sales charged per copy. The other, which is optional, is the lending library which pays a fluctuating but generally declining rate for each page read.
    Last edited by veinglory; 02-23-2016 at 11:36 PM. Reason: typo
    Emily Veinglory

I wish I was as cool as this cat. Kay's Avatar
    And if anyone is out there wondering how much Amazon pays per page read . . . it's one-third of a cent per page. So a reader has to read 3 pages of your book in order for you to make a penny. That's what I put together from my last royalty statement anyway.

I thought it was more around 0.04 -- but yes, in that ball park. And it is not set, it changes each month, so far trending gently downwards
    Emily Veinglory