Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandra Dijkstra Literary Agency

figuring it all out

Sandra Dijkstra Literary Agency

Does anyone have any information on the Sandra Dijkstra Literary Agency? I'm trying to find out about their list of published authors as well as whether they are a reputable agency. Has anyone ever sent any submissions to them and if so, how did they respond?

It gives a list of the types of fiction they look at in the Writer's Handbook 2006 but there isn't a website with their authors and just different bits of information around on the web which isn't concentrated in one place.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks

She's top notch. Amy Tan is one of her most popular authors.

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Legit agent, good Hollywood connections, dislike her personally. Your mileage may vary.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX mdin's Avatar
    Here's more info:

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com...s/JulieBurton/

I had a meeting with one of her agents several years ago, and I can't remember her name for the life of me. She was very, very helpful and pleasant.

My Art

I know she's the one who represented Amy Tan's "Joy Luck Club." She's a very good agent and very choosy about who she signs - aren't they all?

Carlene

figuring it all out

agent

From what I hear, she's the hottest-selling agent on the West Coast. B.J Robbins and Mike Hamilburg are also thriving Hollywood agents.

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    And where did you hear that? I'm just curious.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

figuring it all out

Agent

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

What about their children's titles?

Does anyone have any idea about how well Sandra Dijkstra agency does for children's titles?

I have heard the agent for the children's titles will not be Sandra herself. Most likely Kelly Sonnack.

Anyone has any idea on the agency's portfolio for children's books and Kelly's portfolio for that?

Does this agency have a website at all?

I've tried the following link, but - as you can see - it doesn't take you far.
    www.dijkstraagency.com

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us at AW Requiescat In Pace Popeyesays's Avatar
    She's apparently Amy Tan's agent and Jack King's.
    http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?f...com/index.html
    [B]Okay, damnit, I blog [URL]http://cscottsaylorsbooks.blogspot.com/[/URL][/B]
    [B]Sword of the Dajjal[/B] e-book, [SIZE=2]Published by BooksForABuck.com May, 2007 ISBN: 978-1-602-052-2 [URL]http://www.booksforabuck.com/sfpages/sf_07/sword_dajjal.html[/URL][/SIZE]
    Out in print early 2008 from Blu Phi'er[URL="http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook47261.htm?cached"][/URL]
    [B]Jars of Doom[/B] out mid 2008 from Blu Phi'er
    [URL]http://www.bluphier.com/[/URL]

A friend of mine, who wrote a non-fiction book, worked with her. He was very happy with her, and surprised by how involved she was in the editing process. And I know some magazine (Publishers Weekly maybe?) named her the most powerful book editor in the West Coast.
    A woman named Debra Ginsberg, who used to be her assistant, just published Blind Submission, a "novel" about a powerful agent who's also a bitch.
    It seems she's abrasive and can rub people the wrong way. But she obviously gets results, and I think that's the most important thing. You are looking for an advocate for your writing, not a best friend.

Kelly Sonnack

I'm sorry. Am a tad confused. I thought Amy Tan's agent was Taryn, and Sandra has been quoted as the most powerful agent on the West.

For the kind answers thus far, are we discussing about the same agent - Kelly Sonnack working in the same agency as Sandra and Taryn?

Ya. I tried that too. Same old. Thx!

Thx! Just to be sure, we are talking about Kelly Sonnack?

Anyone knows the agency's portfolio/ Kelly Sonnack's portfolio for children's titles? What titles have they put out for children's genre? I know they are very strong for novels.

Children's Genre for Sandra Dijkstra Agency

Hi anyone knows anything about Sandra Dijkstra's agency for children's books? Anyone knows their portfolio for that, and the agent Kelly Sonnack?

practical experience, FTW

Kelly Sonnack

Found this on a conference brochure:

Kelly Sonnack is an agent with the Sandra Dijkstra Literary Agency, known for establishing and guiding the careers of many fiction and nonfiction authors, including Amy Tan, Janell Cannon, Lisa See, Diane Mott Davidson, Kevin Starr, Mike Davis, and many others. The Los Angeles Times dubbed the Dijkstra Agency "the most powerful literary agency on the West Coast" and, in its 20 plus years, the agency has developed a reputation for discovering new talent and representing quality work with great commercial potential. She began her career in publishing with the publishing giant Elsevier, under the Academic Press imprint as an acquisitions editor. At the Dijkstra Agency, she manages the submission cycle and works actively with foreign rights, contracts, accounting, and public relations. She is actively building her list and is especially interested in children's literature, young adult, and international women's fiction.

thx!

Beach sand in his ear ... AussieBilly's Avatar
    This may no longer be of interest ... info on the Sandra Dijkstra Literary Agency ... but I ran across an interesting site this morning, www.algonkianconferences.com, that included an interview with an agent from that agency ... and liked what I read enough to add them to my query list. Give it a look ....

Everything is what it seems. Will Lavender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nygirl View Post
    A friend of mine, who wrote a non-fiction book, worked with her. He was very happy with her, and surprised by how involved she was in the editing process. And I know some magazine (Publishers Weekly maybe?) named her the most powerful book editor in the West Coast.
    A woman named Debra Ginsberg, who used to be her assistant, just published Blind Submission, a "novel" about a powerful agent who's also a bitch.
    It seems she's abrasive and can rub people the wrong way. But she obviously gets results, and I think that's the most important thing. You are looking for an advocate for your writing, not a best friend.
    Interesting. Ginsberg and I share the same publisher and editor. (Blind Submission is a pretty fine book, BTW.) I had no idea she was basing it on a real experience.

I pretty much agree with your last sentence: you want a hard-nosed agent who will work for your product. BUT it helps if you can get along with your agent personally. You're going to spend a lot of time speaking to him or her, obviously, so it can become a slog (I'd imagine; my agent is great) if the agent is unpleasant.

practical experience, FTW

Thumbs up Jill Marsal with Sandra Dijkstra...

Hi,

I wanted to add that I queried this agent in late August by mail and I received a reply within 10 days requesting my full proposal and ms pages. I was impressed by their timeliness and by their clarity. I have signed with an agent already but I would keep this in my back ups for sure. I did not know of them until late in my game. If someone would like to share their experiences with Jill that would be great info to have here.

giving resonant directions JamieFord's Avatar
    She also reps Lisa See.

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
    , a New York Times Bestseller. Or a handy paperweight.
    www.jamieford.com @jamieford

Agent at Sandra Dijkstra seeking SF, paranormal, spec fiction

FYI, a blog post on 11/14/07 at Guide to literary agents feature an interview with Taryn Fagerness of the Sandra Dijkstra Agency. She specifies she's looking for high concept ideas, and is looking to rep more SF, paranormal, and spec fiction.

Query away!

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd MissLadyRae's Avatar
    Awesome news! Thanks clara bow

Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast