Brit living in California, checking in.

tiggs

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

As per the title, I'm a Brit currently living in California. I'm also an introvert, in training for the British Olympic procrastination team.

I have three novels in various states of completion: one that's on it's fourth draft, one that's on it's first, and one that's essentially flash fiction with delusions of grandeur. None of them are ready for prime time viewing.

I'm still a total newbie when it comes to writing. I'm fairly clueless as to the mechanical basics and have a tendency to use quantum punctuation - in particular, Schrödinger's Comma (which is where you just lob commas into a sentence, even though you're unsure about the merits of their existence).

My apologies in advance for the grammatical horrors you're likely to encounter whilst reading my posts,

Tiggs.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Tiggs!

Vanayssa

Registered
Reaction score
Well, this post seemed pretty grammatically pure. Good luck to you, try going to get on the mailing list of Freedom of Writing, a newsletter, they send out writing jobs you get paid for and also publishers seeking submissions.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I understood every word except "whilst."

Just kidding. I'm a Doyle and Christie fan from way back and always watch BBC where pages and subtitles are replete with "whilst." It's a great word, innit?

:welcome:!

Knightstar

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome

I'm a newbie as well in terms or being here and writing. Have a good look around and you'll pick up some great tips.

A Brit living in California? Not jealous at all. Nope, not one bit. :cry:

Last edited:

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler. :welcome:

tiggs

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. Very much appreciated :)

I understood every word except "whilst."

Just kidding. I'm a Doyle and Christie fan from way back and always watch BBC where pages and subtitles are replete with "whilst." It's a great word, innit?
It is - but my US peers assure me that it's archaic and/or pretentious.

The truth is that I don't actively notice when I'm using it. That's possibly because I'm old enough to remember when phones had rotary dials. I've had to add it to my list-of-words-to-smite during* editing, to make sure that none escape into the wild.

* Dangerously close to using whilst again.

A Brit living in California? Not jealous at. Nope, not one bit. :cry:
Ah, but you're from Leicestershire. I spent my last two years living in Leicester before I came here.

The tunnel I dug under the Atlantic to sneak in is probably still there, somewhere, near the back of Tesco's.

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Which genres are your novels?

tiggs

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Which genres are your novels?
That's an interesting question - mostly because I'm not entirely sure.

All three are set on modern day Earth.

One involves travelling through parallel worlds, so I'm labelling it as Science Fiction.

One involves magic and witches, so I'm labelling it as Urban Fantasy.

One involves a conspiracy by the world's elite to cull humanity, and I have no idea yet what to label that as.