• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Dream Big Publishing

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
I just went to their website and on the home page they're advertising publishing packages. This is a vanity press. Run.

Edited: Now I just went to look for it again and don't see the publishing packages. Could have been a cached page I initially clicked on since it had the same book covers on the header. Even still. Big red flag.

Edit 2: Ah, here it is: http://www.dreambigpublishing.net/custom-publishing-services.html

Last edited:

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
You don't need a lawyer to know this is an awful press. The website design is a throwback to the internet circa 1996. The best of their covers are plain and uninspiring. The text on the home page is terribly written. Their books have few reviews. Some of the books are extremely overpriced. $8.99 for a 180 page ebook is not standard pricing.

This is all before we get to a contract that puts the burden of advertising on the author and offers a pitiful 25% royalty. Oh, and they also offer custom publishing services where you get the pleasure of paying between $899 and $2499 for the same inferior work.

How many red flags does one need? Your work deserves better!

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com
Holy crap, that might be the worst web site I've ever seen.

I had to stretch my browser to fill the screen just to view it.

Worse, it looks (and reads) like it was done by a second-grade web design class.

After thoroughly perusing their web site, I can confidently say this is a vanity press. You're better off on your own.

Last edited:

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap, that might be the worst web site I've ever seen.

I had to stretch my browser to fill the screen just to view it.

Worse, it looks (and reads) like it was done by a second-grade web design class.

After thoroughly perusing their web site, I can confidently say this is a vanity press. You're better off on your own.

I know, right? I have only opened it once. I almost dare not go back. There's no need to look at it twice. There's a certain level of professionalism necessary to run a business, especially a business selling other people's work. This isn't hitting it.

How many red flags does one need? Your work deserves better!

To the people who have asked and will ask again about this publisher:

You've already answered your own questions. None of us can tell you which publisher you should submit to. We can only advise--you have to learn to see the signs yourself. Browse the threads here, look for common trends, read the various experiences, see what comes up.

A good rule? If the publisher is aimed at authors--including and especially if "dreaming big" is mentioned--the publisher's business model probably doesn't involve selling your book to a large readership. Do you want readers for your book? If so, move along to the next option. Getting a contract offer is great, but the feeling of being wanted can mask a bad deal. Ask questions. Aim high.

vickyandrianson

Registered
Reaction score
I know, right? It's just my luck that the first publishing house to be interested in my book would be a sham! I guess I was so excited at first that someone said yes, that I forgot to actually think! Thankfully, I don't usually make hasty decisions, so I went ahead and gracefully declined. I'm not so desperate to publish that I'll forfeit one of my books, because that would basically be what I'd be doing with this one.
Thank you all for your answers.

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
To the people who have asked and will ask again about this publisher:

You've already answered your own questions. None of us can tell you which publisher you should submit to. We can only advise--you have to learn to see the signs yourself. Browse the threads here, look for common trends, read the various experiences, see what comes up.

A good rule? If the publisher is aimed at authors--including and especially if "dreaming big" is mentioned--the publisher's business model probably doesn't involve selling your book to a large readership. Do you want readers for your book? If so, move along to the next option. Getting a contract offer is great, but the feeling of being wanted can mask a bad deal. Ask questions. Aim high.

This really says it all, doesn't it?

Publishing with a small press is very risky for new authors. Our archives are full of companies with the best intentions who folded because they didn't know what they were doing. The archives also show companies that thrived for years, but now can't keep up with the changing face of publishing. These were good businesses with experienced staff that jumpstarted many a career and sold thousands of books.

There's no sign here that Dream Big has experienced staff or any knowledge of how to get books in front of readers.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
I know, right? It's just my luck that the first publishing house to be interested in my book would be a sham! I guess I was so excited at first that someone said yes, that I forgot to actually think! Thankfully, I don't usually make hasty decisions, so I went ahead and gracefully declined. I'm not so desperate to publish that I'll forfeit one of my books, because that would basically be what I'd be doing with this one.

You made the right call--that's the main thing. What I was saying is that it's kind of worrying you subbed there at all. Usually best to research a publishing house before submission. Sadly, lots and lots of places will accept everything, and that's a problem even if they have more legitimacy than Dream Big. Aim high for your book. If you're looking to sub to the best possible publishers, consider querying agents, whose knowledge is worth its weight in advances. If they don't bite, start at the best and most well-known small presses, with obvious reputation for good, not just lack of bad. You aim high because you never know who's going to love your book.

You're new, so forgive my being slightly harsh/mean. You'll get used to it :greenie. It also stands to reason that you may not have had much time yet to dig through the Bewares archives. I'd really recommend just browsing. It can destroy your faith in humanity, but you'll come out having learned a huge amount about the publishing process and that knowledge will probably earn/save you money down the road.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

I followed your Amazon link and read the sample from your novel. It's reads very well. Keep looking and you will find a decent publisher who is interested in your work.

I work with three smaller pubs of romance/erotic romance and my experiences have been nothing but good. Good luck.

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com

According to what I read, you'd be forfeiting a lot more than that. I may be wrong, because I've slept since then, but I believe they required five-year exclusivity, which is ludicrous.

fornickels

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to them in the early phases (read: novice and testing the waters)
MONTHS later after I'd already landed an agent, they emailed me offering me a contract (but didn't send one)
I replied and referred them to my agent.
They never contacted her. A few months later, ANOTHER email (exact same wording as before) saying they'd like to publish my MS.
I again referred them to my agent, who has said that they haven't contacted her once.
RUN!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So much for those Big Dreams.