Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/27/technology/iphone-safari-crash-apple/

I wouldn't have noticed this story if Safari on my iPad hadn't gone wonky after the last OS update. It was acting wobbly for a bit -- almost every AW page jammed somewhere on loading and I would have to stop the page and reload one to three more times before it fully loaded -- and two evenings ago it just stopped accessing the internet at all.

If I turn off Wi-Fi I can access the internet from my iPad, but only very slowly and at the most expensive rates.

My husband's iPad (of a later generation) now crashes Safari every time he tries to open a new tab.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35420573

Apple believes it has fixed a problem that caused its Safari web browser to crash when users carried out a search via its address bar.
But the BBC understands that the fix may take some time to go through for everyone...
Users can, however, speed up the process by clicking on the "clear history and website data" in Safari's preferences.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
There are many, many alternative web browsers for iOS available through the App Store, some of them for free. A quick Google search should bring up lots of lists and reviews. I use Opera when Safari wants to throw a tantrum and know a lot of people who prefer the iOS version of Chrome over Safari. I haven't personally had any Safari problems (probably because I'm too lazy to update) but people encountering it can just switch to a different browser until Apple has it properly fixed.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
It's been fixed; clearing the cache should solve the issue.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Well bugger, it's doing the thing on my ipad again. Clearing the cache and history hasn't helped yet.

ETA:

An hour and a half later, still clearing the cache and history, still got nuffin' except when I turn off Wi-Fi.

I notice it seems to have happened at about the same time as it did last Monday evening, my time, which seems to be just around midnight, Greenwich Time.

At this point it might just be an idiosyncrasy of my iPad.

Last edited:

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Safari was always an issue for me, and that's why I did most of my browsing via Chrome on my Mac at work. Recently however, there is a report that malware has successfully infiltrated Macs via a torrent site. They demand money to get rid of the malware. Google "Macs hit by malware."

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Huh, and I thought this was just my crappy wifi. It does seem to be working much better up the other end of the house now.

Status
Not open for further replies.