• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta readers needed for sci-fi thriller story (alt. on exchange basis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlM

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for beta readers to provide feedback on my sci-fi thriller story about a sniper (84k words).

You must be willing to provide feedback for free or on an exchange basis. If you provide quality feedback, there is a good chance that I will compensate you monetarily later (when you read longer sections). Alternatively, I will mail you something. You will definately be mentioned in the acknowledgments section come publication!

If you are interested in reading my work, I will send you one chapter at a time up until the fourth chapter. Once you have read the first three chapters, you will receive the rest of the book as two large, separate sections.

Send me an e-mail at carlmagnus.writer (at) gmail (dot) com. I have set up a Google Mail account and I will use this to send chapters/sections to you. I will e-mail a more detailed set of instructions.

Information about my manuscript:

Genre: Action/sci-fi thriller (speculative fiction)

Disclaimer: Some scenes include somewhat violent content.

Synopsis:
As Jack and his partner track down those responsible for a string of murders, Jack discovers that the deaths are part of something more than just the heinous scheme of a deranged serial killer. A sinister plan to bring the 'Holy Grail' of biotechnology to life is unravelled.

Please only read my work if you...

Read action/sci-fi thrillers
Are well read in the stated genre.
You read modern books -- particularly books published within the last five years.

You may be of any age, gender and background.

What I expect from you:

Please be aware that it is a somewhat involved process. I may ask you to clarify and expand upon certain points that you make. This is because your feedback will not be useful to me unless I am confident that I know exactly what you mean.

Your job is not to check grammar and spelling. Please look out for inconsistencies, plot holes and problems with the content of the story. You will most likely find something.

The manuscript has not been professionally edited. As mentioned, please ignore grammatical nonsense and focus on the story as if you were reading a book from the library or a book shop. Focus on things like plot, pace and characterisation.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Hi Carl. Welcome to AW. Sit down. Let's talk.

I am not going to beta your book. It's not because I don't like sci-fi thrillers. It's not because I doubt your writing ability. It's because you're coming in here, brand new, and asking for what is an enormous favor from people. It doesn't matter if you plan to "compensate [us] monetarily later". You're coming in here, a community built on exchange and helping each other, with a demanding tone, listing off what you expect of anyone who would generously volunteer their time to help you better your work.

I, and most of us, beta without expecting payment, but we do expect a clean story. You're telling us to ignore grammar and spelling? Try reading something with bad grammar and spelling. You say it hasn't been professionally edited. Fine. Doesn't have to be. Have YOU edited it? Because let me tell you, when I'm reading, the first thing I'm looking for is spelling and grammar. Because if it's bad, I'm not getting through page one, nevermind finding issues with plot and characterization.

Look at it like this: would you move into a neighborhood, go to the block party, and introduce yourself by saying, "I want someone to come paint my house. I'll assign you one or two rooms to paint, and if I like what you've done, I'll let you paint the rest and will pay you for it."? Would you? Would you respond to someone who did that? Because that's basically what you've done here. You're not going to get any bites from experienced betaers with this attitude. This isn't how betaing works.

AW is a community, a sort of social media. Introduce yourself properly in the Newbies forum, read and comment in Share Your Work, post in threads that interest you, and get to know people. That's how you get beta readers: play nice and make friends. And make sure your story is edited as well as you can possibly make it.

CarlM

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I provide feedback on many forums so I respect the "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" mentality, which is good. I should have emphasised that I am happy to beta read on an exchange basis too. It was not my intention to come across as demanding. Not at all. I just wanted to make it clear that I don't just want some wish-washy, polite comments (the kind that your family/other alpha readers can provide). I am looking for honest, possibly harsh criticism. Beta readers should not hold anything back. I have self-edited the manuscript to the best of my ability, so it is not full of typos. Critique partners have already pointed them out for the first few chapters.

Anyone looking for a critique buddy for a 'finished' manuscript?

You can read the first three chapters of my story on my beta reader blog. Just google Carl Magnus' Beta Readers

KR

Carl

CarlM

Registered
Reaction score
carlmagnusbetas (dot) blogspot (dot) se

CarlM

Registered
Reaction score
You can read the first three chapters of my story at carlmagnusbetas (dot) blogspot (dot) se.

If you're interested in beta reading, send an e-mail to carlmagnus.writer (at) gmail (dot) com and I'll share my work via Google Drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.