Only enough to get myself in trouble

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I am not tech savvy, and I'm struggling with whether to just take my computer to someone who knows what they're doing.

Long story not-so-long, I have a Dell netbook, relatively new. It came installed with Windows 8, but I purchased it right as Windows 10 was being rolled out. Windows 8 was okay, but I made the mistake of letting Windows 10 go ahead and download onto the computer. Everything was fine for months, then it began a slow-speed crash. Once I finally got to the point where it wouldn't boot, I sought help first from Microsoft, and then from Dell. Turned out Dell never optimized drivers for Windows 10 for my computer. @_@ (I did search the Dell site before the download but my computer was not listed as incompatible at that time. It is now.)

Fine, did a clean reinstall of Windows 8. Only now, I have some corruption to do with the BITS file and I am supposed to find a good working copy of Windows 8 and c/p the uncorrupted file right into my computer NOOOOO PROBLEM! I am not capable of this level of poking around in the inner workings of the computer, and frankly I'm somewhat baffled how the freshly reinstalled OS is already corrupt.

I have a sneaking suspicion that whatever keeps going wrong originates with Flash player. This time it happened when I allowed an update while working in Firefox. I was a Chrome user, but the continual flash player crashes made me cray-cray, so I went back to FF. I also wonder if, perhaps, when I let Carbonite re-populate my computer with my backed up files, something corrupt came back with them?

I could do another clean reinstall, I could hand pick what I want Carbonite to bring back. But I'm not sure that's the most efficient thing to do if it's just easier to have someone knowledgeable fix the corruption. I don't mind paying someone to tinker with it if there's a decent chance of fixing it. I'm not crazy about that option if I'm just going to be back in trouble in a few months because there are things I don't know about going haywire.

Any wisdom to share here? (Bearing in mind my ability to understand computer-speak is very limited. The help section of Windows is mostly over my head.)

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Thanks guys. I have been all over the MS help stuff. That's where I got the thing about copying an uncorrupted file from another source and pasting into my computer. I just don't have the skills to do most of the things recommended by the more advanced computer people there on the MS community forums and help forums. I think it's probably just easier to do a clean reinstall.

Thanks for pointing me somewhere, though!

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Always a good idea to check hardware compatibility before changing operating systems (and never trust Microsoft), says she who has messed around with more operating systems than she can remember.

I would go for the clean reinstall. The cleaner the better.