Is there a workshop in AW

Manss

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!
Where can I send a sample of my writing ( a part of a story) for critique. Is there any section in AW for this purpose?

Thank you

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
There's Share Your Work.

You'll need 50 posts where you actually engage with the community before you can start a thread.

Consider doing some crits yourself first.

There's a tendency for members to seek a crit before they're actually ready for one so please read a lot of crits first.

And read the stickies.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
And please no mad dash to 50 posts.

IMO, you're best off commenting and interacting with folks in the SYW section to get a feel for the place. People will take notice of your efforts and wish to repay you when you can post your work.

Manss

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. But I have seen the other forums specify less than 50 post! Maybe 10 to 15.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
But I have seen the other forums specify less than 50 post! Maybe 10 to 15.

I wouldn't want to be apart of those communities. There's likely five time as many people who just dash into the post limit to put up their work, take the good will of their critics for granted, and then bugger off.

The 50 post mark is to make sure that you've gotten a good grasp on the community, have contributed, and hopefully stuck around enough to feel like a part of the community rather than a visitor.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Everyplace in SYW is 50, except for a couple of threads - there's one for the first three sentences and one for the first 200 words, but that's it.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. But I have seen the other forums specify less than 50 post! Maybe 10 to 15.

We have found, in more than fifteen years of doing this, that members who rush to have their work critted are usually unprepared for what being critted means.

And we've found that many people join forums with the sole purpose of being critted; they don't have any interest in participating or critting themselves.

It's better for all concerned if we require people to spend some time learning about how to respond to a crit and what it means to be critted.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You can try your luck in the beta-reader subforum, but you're not likely to get many nibbles there as a new member, either. The people who get the most out of this site are the ones who engage in it. 50 posts, really isn't that many if you take a look around and find a few things to comment on.

It's not just writing. If you like movies, find the thread for one you love or hate and join the discussion there. If you like TV, then check out your shows and comment there. If you're interested in current events, or have opinions on something you've seen in the news, then read through some posts in that area and add your voice to the mix. Find the subforum for your genre of choice and connect with others who are writing the same. Pop into the sandbox and work through some of your idea blocks.

maxrenn

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Manss,

You can try and make friends with some of the folk here and then send each other work through private messages.
If you're really serious about decent crits, I'd recommend looking for a writing group in your local area.
It's easier to network with people when you've met them face to face too.

Oh and if you're really hankering to get 50 posts, it's easy.
Go on a political thread, state your opinions and in no time you'll get into an argument that will build up 50 posts in a flash ;)
Be aware though, just because you post something in SYW doesn't mean people will read it.
That's why I'd advise a more intimate writing group in your area.

Best of luck.