What instrument could you most certainly do with less of?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's no particular instrument that bugs me and I get to listen to a lot of stuff reviewing jazz albums, but the one instrument which I couldn't be happier to have died a painful lingering death were syndrums, like the Linn drum machine.

The damn things were ubiquitous in '80's pop, rock and R&B. They also sounded fake to my ear and when a song from that era comes on the radio or Spotify, it doesn't take long to figure out if those are live drums played a living, breathing drummer or a drum machine.

So glad those things have largely faded into obscurity. Now they have all new ways to sample a drum sound without actually giving the drummer some.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
There's no particular instrument that bugs me and I get to listen to a lot of stuff reviewing jazz albums, but the one instrument which I couldn't be happier to have died a painful lingering death were syndrums, like the Linn drum machine.

I used to loathe the syndrum (for instance on Kelly Marie's Feels Like I'm In Love. but I now get rather nostalgic listening to it.

Tatsu

Registered
Reaction score
Acoustic guitar is fine but not root position guitar chord strumming like everyone and their dog. Waaaaaaay overdone If I'm in a restaurant and an acoustic guitarist starts unpacking his shit, I get up and leave my food on the plate.

rfitzwilly63

Registered
Reaction score
I don't much like the washboard thing that is used extensively in zydeco. Not sure what they call it, but I have always cringed at that sound. And what about the old tambourine? Three backup singers all slapping a rhythm with those? Not for me. And, yes. I think everyone is a guitar player. Sometimes wish I played piano, but that is for a real musician, of which I am not.