Looking for GENRE : What Genres are: Zen and the Art of MotorCycle Maintance; Daniel Quinn: Ishmael

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChansonRoland

Registered
Reaction score
Trying to find Genres that fit my style and interest.

I'm working on a Philosophical Novel called DESIDERATA: Dante's Lost Paradise, in the vein of Zen and the Art of MotorCycle Maintenance by Pirsig
AND

The Story of B, and Ismael by Daniel Quinn.

What Genre listed here would these guys fit in?

I shift between Fact, Fiction, and Fantasy to make realistic points and bring awareness.

Thanks for the Advice.

Roland

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds Literary (or Magic Realism?), to me.

Amazon lists Ishmael under Literary and even Religious/Inspirational. Wikipedia calls it a Philosophical Novel (still under fiction?)...

ChansonRoland

Registered
Reaction score
Thank You, Bunny-Gypsy for Your Thought-Full and Comprehensive Answer.

So, I wonder why Philosophic Novels, or something of that ilk, do not Exist here in the Forums as a Genre. They seem to be very popular.

Take Friedrich Nietzsche's, Thus Spake Zarathustra, for instance. And, that is from the 1880's.

Of course, I would like to think that my Desiderata is Literary. I may have to get a cardigan sweater and library with a fireplace. Oddly it does get a bit chilly here in the Mountains. Sometimes its down to 62F.

Pura Vida and Thanks Again

Roland
Santiago de Puriscal
Costa Rica

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Literary fiction is not exactly a "genre". Genres are collections of tropes, settings, goals and/or characters that stand apart from general writing. Literary and commercial fiction make up that "general" writing.

As a small side-note, you might want to look at your capitalization. You seem to be using a system which doesn't match standard English usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.