AW Amazon Affiliate Store

confused by self-publishing? Find your way to self-publishing success in just 5 easy steps with this free how-to guide!

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Games that change you

practical experience, FTW
    Oooh boy, this one's hard. There are a mirad of games that have affected my life one way or the other, me loving pinball games (Twister, Phantom of the Opera, Twilight Zone, Addam's Family, Terminator 2), me loving the Genesis (Shadowrun, Terminator 1 and 2), me discovering that a good narrative can be done in a game... at least 2/3s of it (Snatcher), me learning to love the arcades (Mortal Kombat 2, Street Fighter 2...).

I mean, for me personally, every good game has changed my life one way or the other because I become a fan of the genre. There was not one game that made me like games, period (and I played too many games as a kid to remember which one was the first one I played... maybe it was Mega Man 2). Even modern games, like Assassin's Creed, which I'm currently replaying from the start (some copies of Assassin's Creed Revelation include the first game as an instalable, so that makes it easier to replay) have changed my daily routine and so on.

If I had to put everything in a scale... jesus... it would be a very close tie between Resident Evil 2 for the N64 (made me a survival horror fan... shame the genre later imploded), Chrono Trigger (for obvious reasons), and I guess Metal Gear Solid because of its writing.

It's still a toss-up, tho'.

Follow me on Twitter

figuring it all out
    The Sims franchise showed me that being creative can come in different forms, whether it be creating stories for your sims or houses.

The Myst series also was pretty big with me growing up. The concept behind the game and the story line pretty much made me think that I could become a Video Game developer...then I found creative writing.

I have to go with Dragon Age: Origins. (Though it fought hard with The Last of Us, and Diablo) To this day, I have never found a game the submerged me with the characters so hard, so fast. I even had the biggest crush on Alistair for years. I still get a giddy feeling when I play it.

Skyrim is probably the game that changed me the most. I didn't play it until college, and up until that point, I was kind of snobby toward video games. Like, I thought they were a waste of time and that the people who played video games on a regular basis were wasting their time. I had played games as a kid, but stopped when I was a teenager and became a stuck-up asshole, apparently. But my sister watched Paulsoaresjr play Skyrim on YouTube, and she bought the game. I watched her play it, and then she asked if I wanted to play. The game blew my mind. The graphics were absolutely stunning, and I was simply in awe of it. The detail, the countless quests, the gameplay, everything. I felt like I was playing a movie, and I finally got it.

Skyrim was the game that made me re-fall in love with video games. And thank god it did, because I have made so many friends through video games. Actually, some of my first conversations with my ex-boyfriend and my current boyfriend were about video games. If you'd like evidence of how deep my obsession with Skyrim runs, I have multiple handmade Skyrim bookmarks. They're beautiful.

A couple other games have had an impact on me. Kingdom Hearts was THE game of my childhood. I still love; I still play it. I have a Keyblade necklace. Almost every gamer friend I have loves KH as well. It's another game that's gotten me friends, and it never seems to get old. Left 4 Dead 2 is another one, though that's more circumstantial than anything. That was THE game my ex and I played together. I then brought it with me to a conference and bonded with my peers over it. It was the first time I ever really taught people how to play a video game, and it was lovely. The Sims is another. God, I love The Sims. My friend and I would spend hours playing that game. It's so addictive. The Sims and Zoo Tycoon were/are my favorite computer games.

Sigh. Games are so great.
    “You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.” ― Ray Bradbury

Preparing for winter VeryBigBeard's Avatar
    I have definitely put a few hours into Zoo Tycoon. I always had tremendous difficulty with fence design, and have always been more of a Rollercoaster Tycoon person, maybe because of that.

Still a lot of fun, though.

Quote Originally Posted by VeryBigBeard View Post
    I have definitely put a few hours into Zoo Tycoon. I always had tremendous difficulty with fence design, and have always been more of a Rollercoaster Tycoon person, maybe because of that.

Still a lot of fun, though.
    Oh, Rollercoaster Tycoon. The nostalgia. Loved that game, too.
    “You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.” ― Ray Bradbury

Preparing for winter VeryBigBeard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shante_ View Post
    Oh, Rollercoaster Tycoon. The nostalgia. Loved that game, too.
    I still play it occasionally. Old games are great.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin D_Shalayek's Avatar
    Nier: Automata. Because of this game, every other game sucks.
    All the games that I've played since beating Nier: Automata were all terrible, because Nier: Automata is the new bar.
    So I tried playing old classics that I always love playing. Nope. They suck too. Thanks, Nier: Automata.
    The game's director and lead scenario writer, Yoko Taro, has made me a better author just by experiencing his work. There is no better writer in gaming, except for maybe the wonderful people over at Naughty Dog, but even that's a stretch. And since I don't like video games anymore, I write more. Thanks, Yoko Taro.
    Last edited by D_Shalayek; 10-11-2017 at 04:00 AM.

Even the sphinx has eyes O_O Spooky's Avatar
    Stepping out of vault 101, I left a lot of myself in there, well I guess once I understood that there is no rain or sun in the capital wasteland, much of my hopes and feelings retreated and found a corner of the canteen to huddle and sulk in for the remainder of the game. I am hurt by this game, I think about it everyday! There's only a sense of bottomless starkness and the ricocheting echo of the righteous rule of brutality acting upon the wasteland... that is what I perceived to splash and shine upon that monotonous, pulverized realm. It is a profound experience every time you step in there but damn does the atmosphere get inside you and stain you.
    Last edited by Spooky; 10-29-2017 at 07:35 AM.

There's a stick up there Kjbartolotta's Avatar
    Earthbound, no game ever is going to give me that experience again. More recently, the Witcher 3, because 2016 was a really tough year and have a big 'ol time suck like that to escape to was helpful and sanity-inducing.

Two games that left a massive impression on me were Final Fantasy 6 and the Persona series.

6 because of the desperation and struggle the characters went through to only "sort of" win at the end. It was all about finding one's place in the world and surviving when everything around you is falling apart.

I would say Persona, especially 3 and 4, because I found that when I made bold choices in that game, I made bolder choices in real life. Similar to the game, I found I was "rewarded" more for my decision making. It's hung on ever since.

A Sci-Fi Tale Inspired by Anime and Video Games
    Isaac Comett: Act I; My life as a Shard Knight Available NOW on Amazon. Click the book above!

Check out my blog, Comett's Corner! Today's topic: break time...
    https://isaaccomett.tumblr.com/

There's a stick up there Kjbartolotta's Avatar
    I was 13 when FF6 came out, and it will forever be the game I judge all others by. There can be no better.

practical experience, FTW Morri's Avatar
    Kingdom Hearts, hands down. I was ten when the first game came out, and I remember listening to the soundtrack while walking down the hallways in middle school. I only played the console games, so I recently bought the remixed versions on Ps4 in order to play all of them and get ready for KH3. There's really no other game that incites that level of nostalgia for me.

Last year I bought Final Fantasy XV, and the ending really hit me hard, which was very unusual for me. I literally couldn't listen to Stand By Me for months. There were some plot issues that were poorly done, but I guess the main character's circumstances got to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12