The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Spectral Press

Spectral Press

Gary Compton is assisting Spectral Press currently in straightening out operations.
    Professional Publication Minion for hire (email me)

FB and ETSY for Shadowflame Designs Beadwork

BLOG

Confessions of a Publishing Minion with beta readers - still needs at least another 15K words

Dragon Masque 44,000/70,000

Copy editor

Spectral Press and TBP...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflame View Post
    Gary Compton is assisting Spectral Press currently in straightening out operations.
    Hrm. Spectral doesn't seem to have a link in the Bewares, Recs & Background forum.

I realize that it's an invite-only press -- or perhaps Spectral was, that may have changed? -- but my understanding is that Spectral became part of Tickety Boo.

Anyone know?

Should this post stay in this thread, or become its own?

FWIW, I had a nice conversation in email with Simon last year. I wish him all the best. Being bipolar, I know how depression can gack you up...
    ASZ*---
    Freelance C/E

LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by az shea View Post
    Hrm. Spectral doesn't seem to have a link in the Bewares, Recs & Background forum.

I realize that it's an invite-only press -- or perhaps Spectral was, that may have changed? -- but my understanding is that Spectral became part of Tickety Boo.

Anyone know?

Should this post stay in this thread, or become its own?

FWIW, I had a nice conversation in email with Simon last year. I wish him all the best. Being bipolar, I know how depression can gack you up...
    As far as I know Gary is helping Spectral straighten out some issues. I do not think it is a permanent thing.
    I've known Simon online for a while. I knew he was having issues, but not this bad.
    That being that, I know 1 author who has pulled their book from Spectral.
    If any of this needs to be moved to a different thread, go right ahead. I did not find an entry for Spectral Press.
    Professional Publication Minion for hire (email me)

FB and ETSY for Shadowflame Designs Beadwork

BLOG

Confessions of a Publishing Minion with beta readers - still needs at least another 15K words

Dragon Masque 44,000/70,000

Self-Banned
    An unhappy Spectral author posts about their experience:

http://simon-bestwick.blogspot.co.uk...ral-press.html

Not as sweet as you think Aggy B.'s Avatar
    Oof. That's not encouraging. Wishing all the authors involved the best going forward.
    _________
    A.G.C.

OF LIPS AND TONGUE
    "Don't pick it up if you have important things to do today."
    "...the story itself is a masterpiece of horror, paranoia, love, and introduces a startling heroine that people should flock to."
    "If you like dark, unsettling, gorgeous Southern Gothic books with a taste of Southern Fried X-Files, this novella might be your cuppa."
    OF SHADE AND SOUL: Available now!

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

space opera-popcorn lover!
    Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
    It's been a busy week on SM with Spectral/Tickety boo. As far as I know - and I'm well removed from it - Spectral were in trouble and Gary (who had no connection with Spectral or the debt) has put in place a rescue plan. Spectral has become an imprint of Tickety boo going forwards, with Simon as editor, and there is a plan to release stock and bring in revenue to repay the authors and editors.

I know some of the Spectral authors weren't happy with how it was being resolved, and some have decided not to go with the new imprint and are having any of their stock held released to them. I'm not sure why, exactly, so can't help there.

Not a nice state of affairs for all the Spectral people and I hope it works out for them, one way or another.

(FWIW, the authors I know in Tickety boo - I'm one, and I know most of the others - are happy with the press.)
    Last edited by Jo Zebedee; 01-15-2016 at 11:12 PM.

Www. Jozebedee.com
    @joz1812 - Twitter

Abendau's Heir - Inish Carraig - Sunset Over Abendau

Quote Originally Posted by eqb View Post
    An unhappy Spectral author posts about their experience:

http://simon-bestwick.blogspot.co.uk...ral-press.html
    From that linked blog post: "In many cases, deals with Spectral had been in the form of 'gentlemen's agreements,' and authors had not been provided with details of royalties owed or even a payment schedule for those royalties."

Dear gods, really? Words fail me.
    Facebook Twitter Website

You donít have to believe in something to bump into it in a dark alley.

www.ticketyboopress.co.uk
    I have asked moderators to remove these posts to a Spectral Press thread. They have no bearing on Tickety Boo Press who pay their authors on time and give favourable contracts!

I reported this before to moderators but as yet, no response.

All TBP are doing is helping by taking books over and allowing Simon's percentage to go to Spectral authors owed.

Simon at Spectral is an author at TBP so we are just trying to help him.

This should have it's own thread, I have asked moderators to do this, as mentioned.
    Last edited by Gary Compton; 01-21-2016 at 04:42 AM.

That's fair - I think everyone in the thread at the moment knows the situation at Spectral isn't of Gary's making but I agree, we shouldn't be implying past association by having both discussions in the same thread.
    Facebook Twitter Website

You donít have to believe in something to bump into it in a dark alley.

Self-Banned
    Absolutely, if my link belongs elsewhere, please move it.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Split from Tickety Boo for the time being.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Copy editor
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    Split from Tickety Boo for the time being.
    Thank you, CaoPaux.
    ASZ*---
    Freelance C/E

LinkedIn

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    As of March, "[a]fter a couple of monthsí convalescence and restructuring", Spectral has resumed operations.

Per Gary's response to Writer Beware's comment on the situation, their authors were to be paid the first week of May.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

www.ticketyboopress.co.uk
    All authors have been paid via Paypal and one by cheque. Those authors who decided to take books (in some cases their own)instead of cash will be receiving them this week.

40% of customers who are owed money have been settled also.

Hopefully this will be completely settled by the summer.