About Me Page Help

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I started a blog in the middle of 2015 and after a bit of work and a few posts, I'm quite proud of it's appearance.

The only thing I really hate is my about page.

Advice around the web talking about mentioning your job or accomplishments related to the site. I don't have any. In fact, I don't have a very interesting life (in my personal opinion, of course). There were also suggestions about mentioning why you are writing the blog and what it's about. It's just a personal blog, but not too personal where I plan to rant about how my friend ruined my favorite shirt or how my cat knocked over sharp knives on the floor.

It's personal in the sense that when I post entries, they are about what I like or what I go through and my views on them. I talk of video games, mental health issues, independence, why I love my pets, etc.

Currently, I have no job - instead waiting on disability, and I dabble in drawing, planning stories, and developing games. I could mention being a "writer, artist, and game developer", but the fact that I have nothing to show for all that seems like I'm not those things.

Any ideas of how to make an un-interesting person sound... interesting?

Thanks!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really don't like trying to write about myself, little bios give me fits ("just tell us a few things about YOU!" :greenie)

So I get it about this being the part of your blog that's your least favorite.

I don't think what you've got on your current page is that terrible, and I do see a few ways to make it maybe a little less apologetic, so let me offer those, and of course you can toss out all of this if you don't like it, I won't mind a bit.

My name is -------. Apart from authoring this blog, I also I write this blog about the things I like, I design video games, and I draw whimsical sketches of my stories. (See my fiverrr offer too; I can sketch for you.)

As a person with mental illness, I deal with the negative stigma that comes along can bring. Currently, I am advocating with a friend to increase the knowledge of public transportation since I do not drive, and will not drive.

When I am not working on a project, I play video games, watch anime and fantasy TV shows, and read novels or manga.

Though I hail from western Michigan, and I currently live in South Carolina with my boyfriend and our two cats.

Thanks for visiting The Strawberry Scribe. Enjoy your stay.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Your About Me page can be anything you want, and as short as you want. Just a few short whimsical sentences would be fine. Your site is supposed reflect you, or at least the part you feel comfortable with making public.

Maybe "Dog lover to the extreme. Here is Rover on my bed. Here is Rover before the fire place. Here is Rover fetching - wait, Here is Rover after he decided fetching was boring and the fireplace was not."

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
I approached the "About Me" page like I was writing an "About the Author" blurb, with the emphasis being "where else you know me from on the internet" rather than "what other books you know me from". It's a little on my personality and what I intend to post on the look, and the rest about the four other sites that I've worked for.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Now that I see this thread again...

It got me thinking how boring I sound as a person. Went to the doctor today. "What do you do for fun?"

"I like... Drawing, writing, and making-slash-playing video games. And... petting cats."

No wonder I'm struggling.

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
That doesn't sound boring to me at all. "I like making new and unique worlds, new and unique visuals, and new and unique worlds that people can interact with, plus interacting with new and unique worlds and cats."

KiwiChick

Editing like a caffeinated chipmunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asakkalon.com
I don't think you sound like a boring person at all. Besides, you're a writer, so I'm sure you have heaps of interesting stuff going on inside your head even if your outside life is not always that exciting.

I think the only problem with your about me page (and potentially how you post on your blog) is that you come across as if you're holding back from sharing too much of yourself, which makes your writing a bit stiff. Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, so please ignore me if this isn't helpful. I can understand why you might not want to put too much of your life online. That's fine and I don't think you need to in order to be a little more casual and relaxed on your blog. I suggest trying reading your text out loud before you post it, and see if you automatically make changes that make it more conversational. Similarly, I think you can make your bio a bit more personal without actually revealing anything you don't want to share. Share something random and silly about yourself, maybe related to some of the writing you've done or how you feel about your characters.

I hope this is helpful. Please ignore if not!

KiwiChick

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm not adverse to sharing too much about myself, actually. I think I got stuck in this rut of trying to come off as mature and "professional" so I could be taken seriously.

I shouldn't be worried about that.