Genre Question (romance...parody...something like that)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I have somehow written a 90k novel which I think is best described as an affectionate parody of romance novels or an affectionate parody of contemporary romance. But is that what I should call it in the query letter? Or just a romance parody? Or maybe contemporary romance and assume the parody elements come through in the query? (I expect the book would mainly appeal to romance readers.) Romantic comedy? Something else? I don't know.

Beginning of first chapter is here. See #14. And this is the latest version of the query:

Life is good for Carter McGrady. His wealth will surpass a billion dollars any day now, and he has lots of time to brood alone in his mansion. Plus he’s got abs hard enough to cut diamonds.

In other words, he’s an ordinary guy in the idyllic town of Destiny River, where men like to walk around without a shirt and everyone gets a happily ever after.

However, Carter is a committed bachelor. He only gets close to people when he’s having meaningless sex or fighting in a cage. But his family wants him to settle down and have lots of kids. To get them off his back, he finds a fake girlfriend through a matchmaker who specializes in a fake relationships.

Grace Morgan is a lovely librarian who dumps red wine on his suit, accuses him of making ridiculous bets, and cooks him a disaster of a dinner. But he’s got to make this relationship convincing, or his meddlesome relatives will set him up on dates and force him to star in a reality show.

The hot kisses they share aren’t just part of their act, though. Carter soon finds himself getting uncomfortably intimate with Grace, although she still pisses the hell out of him.

Because of his obligatory tragic backstory, he believes love is a delusion, and he’s afraid he’ll be the next one to fall under its spell. Especially if they get stuck in a freak June snowstorm together…because being snowbound always leads to marriage and a baby epilogue in Destiny River.

THE BILLIONAIRE CAGE FIGHTER’S FAKE GIRLFRIEND is a contemporary romance parody (???), complete at 90,000 words.

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
It's contemporary romance. If your voice is strong, the agent or editor will easily pick up that it's a comedy.

I honestly wouldn't ever use the word parody when querying romance novels. The genre struggles for outsiders to see the books as legitimate popular fiction, and personally, just seeing "contemporary romance parody" comes across as someone thinking it's easy to write and mock the genre. And it will more than likely offend agents who love reading the genre and repping it.

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't ever use the word parody when querying romance novels. The genre struggles for outsiders to see the books as legitimate popular fiction, and personally, just seeing "contemporary romance parody" comes across as someone thinking it's easy to write and mock the genre. And it will more than likely offend agents who love reading the genre and repping it.

Thanks. I hadn't thought of it that way, but I think you're right.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
To be clear, this is meant to appeal to romance readers who would appreciate the tropes, not people who think all romance novels are stupid. And it's still supposed to work as a romance.

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
I would agree with what Evangeline says.

I have to say I love the title!

Status
Not open for further replies.