• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Maxy Awards

blackrosewriting

Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to share with fellow authors. http://www.maxyawards.com/back-story/

The Maxy Awards are dedicated to awarding only excellence for indie and self-published authors. They are unique in that all entrants may submit their book digitally, as a manuscript or published eBook; therefore, the award can be issued prior to an author's publication. Authors are invited to enter our next competition for qualifying books with a 2015 or future copyright. Enter today, part of each entry goes directly to Maxy's House and beneficial scholarships for those who need it most. Awards for eight categories will be announced on Maxy's birthday, May 2nd.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Reagan, this should not be on the Bewares, Recommendations, and Background Checks board. I imagine a mod will be here shortly to port this to the proper section of Absolute Write.

But since you have posted here, what possible benefit does receiving this award confer on the people submitting? Who is judging this award? What sort of credibility does it have? Why are you having awards (that might be meaningless) rather than just setting up a fund via Indiegogo or a similar site?

tiakall

*lurk*
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, I was going to say that this is exactly where it should be ;)

Perhaps someone more versed in contests can educate me, but, uh, how is the ability to submit digitally unique? Don't a lot of contests do that?

IMHO, this contest feels like it's set up to make money for the charity, not collect and judge entrants, so I think an Indiegogo would be a little more straightforward. And $65 a pop (and more if you enter more than one category), yeesh.

blackrosewriting

Registered
Reaction score
I thought to submit here because of the "recommendations" aspect. I'm not sure why everyone on this site has to be so negative and attacking, all I was doing was sharing a great cause that authors can submit a book to, and then also part of the proceeds go to Maxy's House.

I'm not the right person to answer all of the questions (such as judging, benefits, etc...). That's for Maxy Awards to handle. Thank you for your feedback.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Maybe because this forum is about making good choices as an author and/or publisher, and this is not one. Making good choices in terms of donating to a charity is completely different, and also an area to be diligant and skeptical rather than take things at face value.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
FWIW "Maxy's House" does not seem to be a registered charity? The cause is great but I need more than a page in the internet to feel assured my money is going to help this cause.

Edited to add: I see the Goodreads thread is much like this one. Instead of being defensive it would be better to put energy into setting up both the charity and the contest so they don't depend on people assuming some random website and the person behind it are 100% honest without any real assurances, accreditation, clear plans and protocols for how the funds will be spent, or even a decision about what the contest prize might be. Even a well meaning person can waste donated money. It's like publishing, it need not be a scam to be a bad idea.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not the right person to answer all of the questions (such as judging, benefits, etc...). That's for Maxy Awards to handle. Thank you for your feedback.
My sympathies for your loss; however, you need to disclose your relationship to all parties, including to whoever is actually running this award, if not you.

FWIW "Maxy's House" does not seem to be a registered charity? The cause is great but I need more than a page in the internet to feel assured my money is going to help this cause.
Since there's no "Center for Behavior Analysis" as mentioned here, I dare presume it's actually Clinical Behavior Analysis (http://www.abakentucky.com/home.html), which is run by Maxy's parents.

N.B., all but two of the 2016 winners were published by Black Rose Writing. Yet, somehow I doubt BRW paid their entry fees.