Books With Psychological Elements

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Some of the things I find as "masterpieces" or "intriguing" happen to be labeled as psychological horror or thrillers: Death Note, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Silent Hill 2, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Siren, etc.

Some of those are horror video games, though I enjoy them for deepness of the characters and mind-boggling revelations. I'd like to get into Dark Fantasy - not the "grimdark" kind. The kind that features morally ambiguous protagonists, , scary looking monsters/demons, death, messing with minds, violent setting, etc.

Most of my examples are of video games and some anime.

I haven't read many books, sadly, with this stuff. I never knew where to begin. While I write YA and generally have YA-like protagonists, I'll read any age category.

tl;dr version:
I'd like psychological horror or dark fantasy novel suggestions please. Thanks!

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
I dunno if this qualifies but when it comes to Stephen King's book, Misery, I more remember the subtle nature of Annie's abuse rather than the big moments, like when she hacks off his foot with an axe. The moment that always comes to mind: early on, she starts ranting about how she read the manuscript for Paul's latest book and doesn't like it. While ranting, she gets so worked up that she flings a bowl of soup where it lands against the wall and stains it. Then she's like, "Oh look at what you made me do!" and makes him wait in agony while she very slowly cleans up the mess, knowing full well that he's become addicted to the pain meds she's given him. It's no wonder that Paul comes to envision her as a goddess. Like a goddess, she can and will inflict pain on him for no real reason and holds incredible power over his life. The only power Paul holds is the power he has a writer.

But if you're into King, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, is also good in that it never really answers whether all the horrible stuff the poor kid is seeing is the product of fear, hunger, and sickness, or something supernatural. It's a simple story--kid gets separated from her family while on a hike and has to survive on her own in the woods--but a surprisingly effective one.