• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Anderson Literary Management (Kathleen Anderson)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
gosh, Aruna, that's a terrible story and way to be treated. I do hope you're having more luck or pull with future submissions. That's funny that you should mention that an SS editor found you on Publishers Market Place. My agent also has me list there so far for book # 1. I didn't even know that site was perused by the big guns. Nice to know anywya.

Tri

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
This is an example of very bad timing!
My (UK) agent had actually tried herself to sell the US rights to the book but gave up after a few rejections. Six months later I posted it on the PM site where the S&S editor found it. Obviously, she was actively trying to build her list, and contacted me. I wrote my agent in great excitement - only to hear that she had just recruited Kathleen Anderson to sell the US rights. I suppose Kathleen didn't want me doing her work for her. Just a few days earlier and it might have worked; my own agent, I think, would not have objected. Oh well. Guess it wasn't to be.

Brenda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescruffydogreview.com
I sent the required query letter, synopsis and sample chapters to this agency back in December. I've yet to hear back and wrote it off as rejected.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
I sent her a query about a year and a half ago. Received a letter six months later with an apology for the delay, stating also that the query had been misplaced because of a move. The agency requested a partial. Several months later, received a request for a full. About two weeks later, received an email rejection with one line of feedback included in the mostly standard rejection.

I, too, had written the agency off and assumed the time lapse meant a rejection. In retrospect, I'm glad they passed. Do with this what you will!

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
Legit, but sometimes slow

Anderson and Grinberg are both nice folks and have a track record. In some cases, though, they can be amazingly slow. I received a rejection on a partial from Ms Grinberg long long after I had concluded she wasn't interested. I have heard similar stories about MsAnderson, although in one case I know of it turned out that Anderson had injured herself and was just plain out of commission.

My recommendation: Very eclectic. No reason not to deal with them. But go ahead and nudge them via e-mail if you don't hear from them. (Gently, of course.)

KAndersonGrin

ARUNA: DANCES WITH PEACOCKS

Dear Aruna,
I read what you had to say about me and I thought I would respond. I did of course read DANCES WITH PEACOCKS and I worked very hard to sell it. It's disturbing that you have a different impression. I was acting as your subagent and spoke directly with your agent in the U.K. about the progress of the sale. I'm not sure what happened to your email, but I never would have ignored it. In fact, I would have welcomed your involvement and spent a huge amount of time and money sending your manuscript out to every possible editor. I'd be happy to send you a complete list and also to know which S&S editor had requested it. Suffice it to say that I sent your manuscript out in printed form (not by email) to twenty-two (22!) editors. I wish your book had sold but there is no one who could have tried harder than I did at the time.

All best, Kathleen Anderson
Anderson Grinberg Literary Management, Inc.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Dear Ms Anderson,
thank you so much for responding, and I do apologize for my rather thoughtless words. I fact, I don't know what really happened. I was rather frustrated at the time, and may have taken it out on you in my mind. I can't remember at all who the S and S editor was, I even tried to find her again on Publishersmarketplace as I thought I'd remember the name if I saw it.

As a matter of fact, it was my first book, not the second, that she had been intersted in, so that was obviously another piece of miscommunication.

Anyway, thank you for chiming in here and for the mail you sent me.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
This Just In

In Publishers Lunch email newsletter today, they said, "Anderson Grinberg Literary Management has split into two agencies. Kathleen Anderson leads Anderson Literary Management, joined by associate agent Liz Gately and lecture and nonfiction scout Marcus Silverman, and Jill Grinberg is working under the new banner of Jill Grinberg Literary Management, along with associate Kirsten Wolf."

Thought some people might find this helpful in seeking an agent. (Mods, if this doesn't belong here, feel free to move it.)

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Not long ago Liz Gately left, and it looks like Michelle Humphrey has taken her place at Anderson. Has anyone had any dealings with her/know anything about her/know anything she's sold or what kinds of things she's signed so far? Just trying to get a clear picture of her tastes and working style--thanks!

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
I queried Kathleen Anderson on 3/28 and Michelle Humphrey requested a partial on 4/18. Haven't heard anything since. From them anyway. In the meantime I've had a couple of offers for representation elsewhere.

I met Kathleen at the Squaw Valley Writers Conference last summer. She seemed nice enough.

kbax

Refrigerate After Opening
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristophrenia.blogspot.com
Just a note on Anderson Grinberg--they appear to be two separate agencies now, as I discovered when doing agent research.
And another note on Ms. Anderson: I e-queried her over a week ago, and to my chagrin just now noticed a "verification" in my spam folder, asking me to reply to verify that I was not a spammer. Just another reminder to check your spam folders carefully--I almost didn't open it!

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, kbax, apparently they have splintered. Jill Grinberg in March asked for my novel, or at least a part of it, and then, I think, asked for the rest. She responded within a week--she was going abroad--and on her return said:

Dear Gerry,

Thank you for sharing the novel with me, I read with pleasure but ultimately did not fall in love so will step aside as you hone in on the right agent for the work. I wish you the very best in finding the right home for the book and much appreciate your thinking of me.

Yours,

Jill Grinberg

I think Kathleen Anderson asked for the novel as well, I don't remember now, and didn't like it very much if I remember. Jill Grinberg is charming.

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
Anything new with Kathleen Anderson agency? I saw a note a few months old indicating the website was coming soon. As of yesterday, it was the same.

I sent a query only (no pages) by email and did receive back the certification email, which I replied to indicating I was a live human.

I'm wondering whether I should have sent pages, too. The page on the Publishers Marketplace first listed what to send by mail, then by email. It looked like the 50 pages should only be sent by snail. Oh, well. I suppose if the query interests her she'll ask for pages. Then, I might find out what file type to use, too. .DOC, .PDF, .RTF? Heck, I write on WordPerfect, but nobody wants .WPD files. :)

WebInFront

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Kathleen Anderson with 1st 50 pages in August, and got a lightning fast response in 18 days! It was a rejection, sadly, but the prompt response was notable. This one hurt the most, so far, because I didn't just get rejected on the basis of a one-page query. It was 50 pages. Did they get read? Don't know, but still....

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Kathleen Anderson with 1st 50 pages in August, and got a lightning fast response in 18 days! It was a rejection, sadly, but the prompt response was notable. This one hurt the most, so far, because I didn't just get rejected on the basis of a one-page query. It was 50 pages. Did they get read? Don't know, but still....

In all probability all 50 pages did not get read. Agents (or their slush readers) read as much as they need to to make a decision. That may be one page. Agent Jenny Rappaport has blogged about this recently here http://litsoup.blogspot.com/

Hopcus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasiahopcus.com
Does anyone know anything about Samantha Edussuriya? I think she is fairly new at Anderson Literary and Publisher's Marketplace doesn't have any info that is particular to her.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Only that she was previously managing editor/marketing director at Hippocrene Books.

(In other ALM news, Rachel Hecht left to join Mary Anne Thompson Associates.)