Need Assistance From Someone Who Is Native to Ireland

Angela

Named For a Song...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all!

I'm not sure if this is where I should put this or not, and I considered posting this in the Ireland thread in the International District. I'm looking for someone who's native to Ireland. I have a few sections in my manuscript where I have dialogue from characters who are Irish, and I want to make sure it rings true to the ear.

I also have a scene that touches on some very basic Irish history, mainly pertaining to the fact that Ireland was once a strictly oral society, and my character speculates that this known fact might be a little inaccurate based on some objects she finds. I would like to know if the objects she finds and the speculation she makes COULD be even remotely possible with the way that particular scene is set up.

I'm not asking for a beta reader, as I'm not asking this person to read the entire manuscript. I would like for someone to just read the scene regarding the history, and the dialogue scenes to see if they're as accurate as possible, and ring true to the ear. Even though the accents do bear a slight resemblance to each other, I'm concerned my Irish characters might be sounding a tad too Scottish.

If anyone can help with this, I would greatly appreciate it. Please PM me, and I'll send you the details. There are only five sections, including the history one. One section is longer because there's narration mixed in with the dialogue. The approximate word count for all of the sections is 6,500.

Thanks in Advance!

Angela

Last edited:

Angela

Named For a Song...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Cath!

While the story is set in modern day U.S., the Irish characters are from ancient Ireland, before there really was a division between Northern and Southern Ireland. The Irish characters are the ancestors of my protagonist and antagonist. They are primarily from two different time periods, and their specific eras aren't stated. One set would be from the late BC era, with a couple of those characters being removed from each other by a couple of generations. The other group would likely be from the early AD era.

I know I'm taking historical liberties by having these characters speak English, and in one scene, my antagonist realizes that neither she nor the other character she's talking to are speaking English, but English is what her mind is translating the dialogue into. And yes, I did use some phonetic rendering when creating the dialogue.

Does that help answer your question? If not, please let me know. Again, any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!

I also just realized there are nine sections, with an approximate word count of 9,300. Two of those are longer sections because they have a good bit of narration breaking up the dialogue.

Last edited:

Angela

Named For a Song...
Registered
Reaction score
:) Nope, not Irish rendered phonetically. Some of the characters are Irish, speaking English. In order to convey the Irish accent of the characters, some of their English dialogue is rendered phonetically, but it's more along the lines of ne'er (instead of "never"), wi' (instead of "with"), isna (instead of "isn't"), didna (instead of "didn't"), etc.. Simpler things that should convey the feel of the accent. Sorry if I was confusing before! :D

That's why I'm looking for someone who can tell me if the "accent" rings true to the ear. I want to make sure they "sound" Irish, as opposed to Scottish. The characters aren't actually speaking Irish in the story.

Last edited:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, of course accents sound different from county to county as well. If you want to portray a Wicklow accent (IIRC), you turn all 'th' into 't'. Wexford speakers use 'em' a lot where we'd say 'uh' or 'um'.

I think that dropping the 't' sounds entirely would give more of a Scottish sound.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
:) Nope, not Irish rendered phonetically. Some of the characters are Irish, speaking English. In order to convey the Irish accent of the characters,

[insert dialogue], he said in heavily accented English. <-- that's really all you need. Many readers find "accented" dialogue off-putting.

Also, if you're talking any BC dialect, the "English" is going to sound like a foreign language. Most modern readers can't suss out Chaucer, which was more Middle English. Forget trying to understand something from further back. I'm not even sure English was a language in any of its known forms in the BC period. You're talking iron age dates when you go that far back. England wasn't even a country at that point.

Angela

Named For a Song...
Registered
Reaction score
Angry Guy, thanks for that information. It's good to know, and I don't think I dropped many (if any) "t" sounds. :D

Cyia, thank you for replying. I tried to keep from going overboard with the rendering, because I didn't want to annoy the readers, but I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I love Chaucer! I remember trying to decipher his writing in high school honors, and they actually brought in a guy to read some of his work aloud. He did a WONDERFUL job. The words just slipped off his tongue without a problem. Listening to him read the work was like listening to music, it just flowed over you. It was so amazing to hear him and I just fell in love with the language. I was entranced. And you're right about the language not existing as such in the BC era. That's why one of the characters realizes they're not speaking English per se, but her brain is translating it into English. Magic plays a large part in why that's possible, but it's also supposed to represent the blood bond we have with our ancestors.

English is a slippery language when you look at its various incarnations over the years. I do a lot of genealogical research, and I've read old documents that took a bit to decipher! :Headbang:

Thank you both so much for your responses! Definitely food for thought. :D

Last edited:

MaggieMc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Angela,
I'm Irish (although living in Australia these days!). I'd be happy to help, but at first glance I would say you may be right that it will sound too Scottish. 'Didna' and 'Isna' sound like some Scottish accents but don't sound Irish to me. I'm not sure how much help I'll be really, if you're setting your work in ancient times. What makes writing sound authentically Irish to me is the use of idiom and phraseology (e.g. Roddy Doyle's writing) rather than phonetically rendered speech, and of course modern idiom etc won't work for you. But, any, happy to give it a go and review for you if you like : )

Maggie

Zaffiro

Registered
Reaction score
'Didna' and 'isna' are 100% Scottish, not Irish.

I'm with MaggieMc - phonetically rendered speech almost never works for me, either. You have a really high chance of making Irish readers, or readers who have any experience of actual Irish people, cringe mightily. What works is creating a difference in dialect through idiom, syntax, phrasing, stuff like that.

You also need to pick a region of Ireland. I know the regions weren't separated in the same way back in the time you're writing about, but you're taking liberties by necessity anyway, with the scenes being in English. You do need to root your characters' speech in a specific dialect. The accents, idioms, phrasing, etc of Dublin are very different from those of Kerry, and both are very different from those of Donegal or Galway or Belfast; if you don't pick one, it'll just turn into a jumble with no coherence.

I'm assuming you're American - what if you read a line of dialogue, supposedly from an American character, that went, 'Howdy, youse guys. It's gon' be, like, totes hot as shizzle today. You betcha'? Every bit of that line is plausibly American on its own, but as a whole it's ridiculous. That's what you risk sounding like if you try to sound Irish without picking a region. There is such a thing as generic Irish, obviously, just like there's such a thing as generic American - but it doesn't sound distinctive enough for your purposes, so you'll have to lean in a bit on the dialect, and for that to work you need a region.

I think what you might need most is to get some Irish dialect into your ear. From the isna/didna thing, it sounds like you've got little or no experience of Irish speech - and that's going to get in your way. If you decide to use Wicklow as your source dialect, for example, find some episodes of a Wicklow-set soap opera called Glenroe. A few of those should give you a sense of the rhythms and idioms you're working with.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
While the story is set in modern day U.S., the Irish characters are from ancient Ireland, before there really was a division between Northern and Southern Ireland.

This actually makes it more complicated with regards to language and dialect - early Ireland was comprised of lots of small, quite insular kingdoms and people tended not to travel far, so a lot of language stayed very 'local' - this can still be seen clearly. for instance, where I live you can tell exactly where someone lives based on their accent - right down to the village they are from or the side of town.

The Irish characters are the ancestors of my protagonist and antagonist. They are primarily from two different time periods, and their specific eras aren't stated. One set would be from the late BC era, with a couple of those characters being removed from each other by a couple of generations. The other group would likely be from the early AD era.

How are you dealing with language? Your characters at this time most certainly would not speak English. In fact, they wouldn't even be speaking anything we could clearly identify as irish - at this time the language would be very primitive irish - Goidelic.

I know I'm taking historical liberties by having these characters speak English, and in one scene, my antagonist realizes that neither she nor the other character she's talking to are speaking English, but English is what her mind is translating the dialogue into. And yes, I did use some phonetic rendering when creating the dialogue.

Don't do this. Please. As an Irish person with a strong accent I want to kick puppies when writers do this. See, the thing about Irish people and Irish accents - we think we sound like everyone else.
Does that help answer your question? If not, please let me know. Again, any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!

I also just realized there are nine sections, with an approximate word count of 9,300. Two of those are longer sections because they have a good bit of narration breaking up the dialogue.[/QUOTE]

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
I think asking modern Irish speakers to look at it might not be that much help - Gaelic has moved on a lot, and has also been mostly replaced by English which changes the accent again.

I'm from the North, so not much help but didna definitely sounds more Northern Irish that Southern. If at all possible, I'd avoid doing anything much with the dialogue that saying it's foreign etc, especially if it's being translated into English for the book anyway.