Think I've screwed myself

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all.

I have an Asus, running Windows 10, which I'm starting to hate more with every passing day. I have very little on it, have deleted all the useless apps which came with it (like sports, weather, games) if it gave me an option to uninstall. I do not use most of the Microsoft versions of things, like browsers, anti-virus or Office. My browser is Google, anti-virus is AVG (paid version) and word-processing is Corel. I do not allow that "Live update by unknown publisher" to make changes, and my size setting is at 175% so I can actually read the screen.

I bought and downloaded Corel Office, which worked just fine for the first bit. A few weeks ago, I re-downloaded a music notation program I've been using for years, which, again, works fine, and the Audible manager for audiobooks. Those three programs are really all I use the computer for.

Now, all of a sudden, my Corel program won't save anything. It won't even autosave. My "file explorer" and recycle bin refused to open.

Googling around I discovered that both those things apparently give problems if you set the screen to 175%. I changed the settings to 150 and they both opened without problems, but when I try to send, say, a deleted file back to Corel from the recycle bin, it refuses to acknowledge the file exists. It will let me print a letter without saving, but won't save it.

I'm going to try uninstalling Corel and reinstalling it from the cd in a day or so when I have the time, but have I inadvertantly screwed things up by deleting useless apps or refusing to let that Live Update thing make changes? I had heard it was mostly for third-party apps and advertising.

I can't take my computer into the shop until the end of February, when I'll have the time and money, not to mention a vehicle to transport the tower rather than lugging it on the bus. At the same time, I have forms and entry requirements I need to download, save and access before the end of February for a regional quartet singing contest.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I can't answer about Windows 10 stuff, but one thought came to mind: If you can open those deleted files (you said you can print them, yes?), then could you Select-All - Copy - Paste the text into a new file? Hopefully the new file will then work properly. Obviously it's not a long-term solution, but just something I thought might help for the time being.

PostHuman

Registered
Reaction score
As a temporary workaround, have you considered OpenOffice? It's pretty similar to MS Office and Corel but it's free.

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cliff Face: Unfortunately, while I can see the file sitting there, when I try to open it, it just says the command doesn't work. I can only print something I have on the screen, but not open anything. But I do appreciate the help.

Blacbird: You're quite right. At present I have a grand total of 4 documents, all forms, on my computer. I printed them out, but did not back up the digital file. I really should know better.

PostHuman: Hadn't thought of Open Office, thank you. If the re-install doesn't work, I will give it a try.

Your replies are all very much appreciated.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Would it be possible to change your screen resolution instead of doing the percent thing (shich really should be avoided!)? Also, Windows 10 still allows changing font size for individual window parts...unfortunately it is buried quite a few clicks deep. I could make a sort of tutorial, with screenshots, since I have a win10 laptop sitting idle in the back room (client changed her mind about replacing her old one :Shrug:).

Dayam, I love my big Linux horse :ROFL:

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Matera the Mad: Please don't go to all that trouble. If the re-install doesn't work, I'll take it down to someone who actually knows what they're doing (as opposed to me, who would probably make things worse by fiddling). Thank you for the very kind offer.

I don't suppose Linux makes an affordable desktop for the "don't know, don't care, just hit it with a stick until it works" kind of user? :deadhorse

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If you're using Windows 10, not allowing live updates is a very bad thing. Many of these updates are true upgrades, new apps are added, old ones patched, or replaced entirely, etc. This is supposed to be the last version of Windows.

We have two ASUS computers, and I don't think this is your problem. It's the operating system that's causes things not to work, not the computer. Windows 10 has changed immensely since I started using it, and so have the apps it uses, screen size problems, and several other things. By not allowing live update to make changes, you're keeping the bugs 10 had when released.

I haven't used Corel for three or four years now. It got too buggy on any computer I installed it on, and I just didn't have time to correct the problems. Widows 10 is a Microsoft product, so it's natural that Microsoft software works better on it than some other software, but Corel gave me problems everywhere, and on everything.

Anyway, I seriously doubt the ASUS computer is the problem. The first thing to do is to allow the computer to do all the updating it wants to do. You can't expect a new OS not to have bugs, and updates are the only way to fix them.

I would not suggest OpenOffice. It's just not worth the risk. I've found several versions that have all sorts of hidden crap installed. If you want something new, and don't want Word, then get LibreOffice. It's OpenOffice done right, and has no crap in it at all.

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Jamesaritchie. I didn't think the computer itself was the problem, as it worked fine for the first little while, and Corel worked fine for the first little while. I did wonder if I was the problem by not allowing the Liveupdate thing.

I'll let it do its thing when it asks and see if that resolves the conflicts.

Again, thank you.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I have a Dell computer I purchased in August 2015, with Windows 10. It's been buggy on me also. I have 8 gb memory and an i5 processor. I have tried different anti-viruses, used Windows Defender, etc, got the updates the way it should be done (automatically for Win 10), and yet still have problems mostly with my emails when using Windows 10 app for emails. (I have five email accounts.) I many times have to go into each email program individually to read or send. I use LibreOffice and that's been okay. At one point, though, my computer crashed and I had to reinstall 10. It wasn't a virus or worm as I thought that time, but a major glitch.

So, I wish you the best, as I spend more time trying to debug whatever is wrong at the time than I ever did with eight years of Windows (ugh) Vista.

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps I should have gone to Vista instead of grimly sticking with XP (which worked!) until forced to go with 10. Might have prepared me. I've always let it do its regular Microsoft updates, just wasn't letting it do the updates from "LiveUpdate - Unknown Publisher." I'm not usually keen on any unknown publisher making changes to my operating system. Thanks for the good wishes, Stormie. We'll have to wait and see, I guess, or it's off to the repairman next week, like it or not.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Perhaps I should have gone to Vista instead of grimly sticking with XP (which worked!) until forced to go with 10. Might have prepared me. I've always let it do its regular Microsoft updates, just wasn't letting it do the updates from "LiveUpdate - Unknown Publisher." I'm not usually keen on any unknown publisher making changes to my operating system. Thanks for the good wishes, Stormie. We'll have to wait and see, I guess, or it's off to the repairman next week, like it or not.
Bolding mine.
Yes, I agree, and it seems with 10 you have to let it do its thing automatically. I hate not being able to choose, and would rather look up what in the *&%* Windows is trying to install. I have no idea what my problem with 10 is, and probably will never know. As I said, I hope you find out! (And if you do, let us know.)

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
I'd bet money that Corel is the problem. As stormie says you can't *stop* Win 10 doing updates (unless you have the Enterprise version, which you haven't) so it's not likely to be an OS problem unless the 175% screen has really borked something, which I doubt.

I'd suggest you uninstall and if you have a restore point from before you installed it, roll back to that before you try a clean install again. If the clean install works but it goes screwy again in another few weeks I'd say you need to ditch Corel and get something else. FWIW I actually like MS Office, but then I have to use it at work so I'm used to it.

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, PeteMC, I hope I don't end up having to ditch Corel. I LIKE Wordperfect.

It'll be a few weeks before I can do much of anything, what with work and other obligations interfering. If and when I get it fixed (one way or the other), I'll let everyone know. Many thanks.