Western Canada severed from Eastern Canada with bridge failure over Nipigon River

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Now the only way from say Thunder Bay to Toronto is a 12 hour delay through the United States. Or you can fly or take the train.

It's unknown exactly how long it may take to reopen the Nipigon River Bridge in northwestern Ontario, but the mayor of Nipigon says there is a contingency plan to help stranded motorists.

The bridge shut down to traffic Sunday afternoon, after a piece of its decking lifted more than 60 centimetres.

The Trans-Canada running through Nipigon is the only major highway in the area.

Mayor Richard Harvey said Sunday that the only option for motorists crossing northern Ontario was to detour through the U.S. It is the only road in northern Ontario that connects Eastern and Western Canada.

CBC News

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
A second bridge (two-lane both ways, yay!) is being constructed over the Nipigon River but of course it won't be opened until 2017.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Big deal. You can only drive from where I live to the soft underbelly of the U.S. via a three- or four-day trip through Canada. And it takes another full day just to get to the border.

caw

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I seem to remember a famous novel that predicted the failure of a critical bridge severing a nation in two, but that title escapes me at the moment. :sarcasm