When to use a comma

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have the English grammar vocabulary to refer to this properly, so I'll just use examples:

"He was, after all, the youngest."

"It was cold, though, and she wasn't wearing a parka."

Am I right in having those two commas in the sentences? Are there particular instances in which people tend to do this but shouldn't?

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
In both examples the comma is optional, and the custom has been moving away from using commas. I would tend to use the comma in the first sentence, but I would rewrite the second sentence.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Both examples are fine as punctuated.

I stubbornly resist the trend to leave out commas where they are required by the rules of grammar and punctuation. I dislike reading sentences where they've been omitted. Then again, I refuse to drop the "e" in judgement, acknowledgement, etc...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have the English grammar vocabulary to refer to this properly, so I'll just use examples:

Am I right in having those two commas in the sentences? Are there particular instances in which people tend to do this but shouldn't?

Yes, you are correct, and the commas are not optional. The sentence would be completely wrong without them, and I'd reject any manuscript with that usage without a second thought. As an editor, I simply don't have time to correct such poor usage in a complete novel.

The second sentence is fine as is. There's no need for a rewrite.

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score

Both sentences are punctuated correctly. The highlighted words are nonessential elements and as such require commas. See here: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/607/05/

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com
Personally, I'd rather see more commas than less. I equate comma usage to the pause in speech (anyone else "hear" what they're reading?) and when I see (so much) writing with minimal comma usage, I want to tear my hair out. Who talks without a single pause?? When English isn't a writer's first language, that's fine. But what are people learning in school nowadays? In this case, less is not more, rather, less is confusion.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Once you understand what you are reading you are free to pause anywhere you choose if you wish to read aloud, but the function of a comma is to aid comprehension of the written word - not to indicate a pause.

You may well decide to pause (or draw breath) at a comma but that is your choice alone.

Personally, I'd rather see more commas than less. I equate comma usage to the pause in speech (anyone else "hear" what they're reading?) and when I see (so much) writing with minimal comma usage, I want to tear my hair out. Who talks without a single pause?? When English isn't a writer's first language, that's fine. But what are people learning in school nowadays? In this case, less is not more, rather, less is confusion.

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Ah yes, there's a huge difference between:

"She went nuts then."
and
"She went nuts, then."