WRONG = "How to promote your book like an intelligent human being and not an SEO Dweeb"

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Frankly, I very rarely use a search engine to look up a book. If I can't find it on Barnes & Noble's site (because f**k Amazon), I'll look it up on the author's personal site or their Wikipedia page. I'll only turn to a search engine if I can't get the name of the book or the author correct. I can think of only three instances where I looked up titles on a search engine to see if I could locate a decent online used book seller that didn't have "Amazon" in its name.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Any author who is constantly harping "BUY MY BOOK" may get sales for their first release, but people remember their experience and will tell friends to NOT buy from said author. Just as they talk about not buying from stores that give them a bad experience.

Authors who constantly self-promote on social media don't get sales, they get unfollowed. Authors who only connect with others on social media in order to sell their books don't get sales, they get unfollowed. Authors who don't engage in conversations, and who don't give as much as they take on social media, don't get sales, they get unfollowed.

If you focus on SEO rather than on strong content for your sites and good books, then you're doing the same sort of thing. People might arrive at your website but then they'll leave. Engage them, and they might stay.

It can be darned hard for a new someone published by a big-5 publisher to be discovered by readers these days, let alone someone who self publishes. So many books so little time. And by definition, they can't all be bestsellers.

This has always been true. But it's more obvious to people outside the business now we have the internet, I think.

SEO may be driving traffic to my site, but it's not actually selling the book. My passion is what drove my review.

Precisely.

If I were a small business (or big business) owner and one of my marketing team said 'Marketing is more important than manufacturing' I might consider firing them, as their strategy would be a longterm danger to my company's reputation.

Over the last decade and a half trade publishing has moved its focus away from editorial and towards marketing. I have worked in both camps and can see the benefits to both approaches: but it has changed the sorts of books you see on the shelves.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
God, do I know it. I've watched the change as a reader since 1996. While I've been involved in marketing all that time, it was in a different field with inherent rules closer to what the OP appears to follow. I've only been closely watching commercial genre publishing since 2009.

I like some changes (push for diversity, broader range of tropes, more direct contact with readers), but loathe others (too short shelf life for print books, the related tendency to drop contracts because of Wall-Street style return-on-investment worries. I am thrilled beyond words that good self-publishing is becoming available, because that means my favorite authors' backlists might not languish in obscurity.

I also think that many famous self-publishing gurus are being at least a bit deceptive to their more naive followers, because a lot of the former first benefited from commercial publishers' marketing.

Last edited:

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Of course they don't want authors to learn how to self-promote. If authors knew how to sell their own books, they'd be out of a job.

Um. This is not true. Many, if not all, publishers expect their writers to self-promote these days.

Step 1. Make a list of every book that you think your book is similar to.

This advice always frustrates me. I wrote my book because I wanted to read something like it and couldn't find anything. I've been looking for books like mine for years now, and still haven't found one. I'm sure they exist, but how the heck would you find one?

And Google's algorithms and human search raters will flag your post.

Content, genuine content, not keyword stuffed crap, will rise higher and will stay high.

Write for readers, not algorithms.

Write to engage; readers will review and tweet and Facebook and email other readers about your post/book.

People will read and buy your book. It's what readers do.

And write a new book; new books sell your backlist. A new book is just about the best possible publicity and marketing for your previous books.

This is true. I do SEO content writing for my day job. The focus has completely switched from keywords onto quality content in the last couple of years. A lot of clients aren't even requesting keywords any longer.

While it's true that self-publishing means spending a not-insignificant amount of time as your own "publisher," therefore doing some sales, the best way to sell a book is to write another one.

If an author is "constantly" selling his or her book, it becomes very, very hard to write that next one.

Yep, I've switched most of my focus onto writing future books now. I still blog and post on social media, but I'm not stressing myself with constant marketing any longer.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
I have to say, this thread was an interesting read, but I did find the OP to be an unwarranted attack on what is a good starting point for writers to think about in terms of promoting their book's online presence and promotion. Having read the entire discussion, a few observations came to mind:

1. SEO is not just about keywords anymore. As VeryBigBeard, andiwrites, medievalist herself and others have pointed out, Google and others reward quality content. Not just keywords (ex-nay on that stuffing), not on quantity (great way to get yourself flagged as spam), but thoughtful, authentic content. If you're going to rank for a particular key phrase, it's not just because you were savvy enough to use it in your metadata, or because you wrote 'an article' on it and linked it to high heaven. And medievalist hit it: Google is ALWAYS refining its algorithm. So focus on writing quality content. Have I stuffed quality in here enough times?

2. Marketing is not more important than the product, ESPECIALLY if it's a book. A cruddy book is still a cruddy book (and a cruddy business solution is still a cruddy business solution and no amount of marketing is going to hide that once people start peering under the proverbial hood).

Whether you're writing fiction or non-fiction, you're not just marketing your book, you're marketing yourself, too (hello, author platform). Why do I follow writers on social media? Why do I peruse their websites and blogs? Is it because I'm going to go click on the "buy my next book!" link? Mmm, yeah, no. I like their writing and now I want to learn more about them, what makes them tick. Oh, and maybe get an update on when that next blasted installment in a series is coming out while I sit on pins and needles!

3. Genuine engagements create more meaningful, lasting impact. One of the trends in digital marketing right now is the customer experience - now, you might be scratching your head going "yeah, well, I have readers, not customers." Absolutely. But I think what makes medievalist's reference post still relevant, and that may be lost in the OP's heavy focus on SEO sales tactics, is that genuine experience you build online in your interactions with your reader (and potential reader) community - i.e. your customers.

Verybigbeard said it succinctly (albeit in reference to the OP):

Know thy audience. Know thyself.

IMHO, if people are coming upon you via searches, it's because they're seeking you out to learn more about you, the author, because they liked your writing; a friend mentioned your book; they saw one of your blog posts; funny tweets; you came up on goodreads, etc.

Is SEO important to think about? Sure. Is it the only thing that's important in your marketing campaign, whether you're self pubbed or trad pub or hoping-to-be-pubbed? Heck no. Is marketing more important than your book? :roll: Um, no.

If you're not sure where you should spend your time after this discussion? Write the next book. :)

Salt opinions to taste.

Garnished with final random get-off-my-lawn rant about spammy twitter feeds: if I have to mute 'em, I'm not followin' 'em (Amen to Old Hack).

Last edited:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
IMHO every author should learn the basics of promotion.

Gone are the days when an author can sit back and books sell themselves. (If that ever happened at all) Social media gives every author a chance to connect to a new reader. It takes a little bit of time, but it's so worth it.

The most important advice I give newish authors is be yourself! Post about your kids, your work, kittens and puppies crafts or other things that interest you. When you laugh, others laugh. When you cry they do too. Be HUMAN! It's the strongest connection you have to an audience.

Post a promotion at most 1 or two times a day if you are very active on social media. If you aren't, then maybe once for every 5-10 normal posts.

Respond to those who take a moment to post a comment. (Just beware of trolls) It really makes a difference.

Go to book signings, sign up for pannels, do readings at your local schools, be public on occasion. People who see you in person will look up your work and follow you if you interact with them. They might not buy a book today, but they will keep you in mind when you take a moment of a busy day and smile, say hi and have a brief conversation.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
IMHO every author should learn the basics of promotion.

Gone are the days when an author can sit back and books sell themselves. (If that ever happened at all) Social media gives every author a chance to connect to a new reader. It takes a little bit of time, but it's so worth it.

That's simply not true. It's a complete myth that books sell because the writer promotes them. I know self-published writers have to promote, but commercial writers imply don't have to do so in order to sell books. Readers buy books. They don't buy writers. Readers don't care in the least about writers until after the writer has a book the readers love, and talk about to all their friends.

Take a look at the bestseller list, find all the first novels that have appeared there, which is a bunch, and tell me how many of these writers you even heard of until after their first book was on the list. Publishers promote books. They simply do. Reviewers and critics also promote books, if the books are any good. What the writer does really means nothing until after the books is selling well enough to make readers want to know whoever write it.

Books sell because they're good, because readers can't stop talking about them, and tell all their friends, who tell all their friends, etc. All promotion does is let a reasonable number of readers know the books exists. It doesn't take many readers to start an avalanche. The promotion every commercial publisher does lets this happen, even if the writer does nothing.

There's a reason publishers seldom pour money into a book until after it shows it has legs. Until this point, there's no reason at all to believe any kind of promotion will help and, in fact, all the promotion in the world won't help, unless a lot of readers love the book. When the time comes to put the writer on the road, to give the writer true promotion money, the book is already a success. Ignore this when a publisher pulls a stunt like giving a first time writer a two million dollar advance, but for the vast, vast majority of novels, it's true.

As I said, all you should have to do is take a look at first novels that are bestsellers to dispel the writer as promoter theory. I know a lot of writers who spend far, far more time promoting a book than they spend writing new books. None of them are making any money. Most of them are losing a lot of money because they're spending it on promotion, rather than earning it by writing more books.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
That's simply not true. It's a complete myth that books sell because the writer promotes them. I know self-published writers have to promote, but commercial writers imply don't have to do so in order to sell books. Readers buy books. They don't buy writers. Readers don't care in the least about writers until after the writer has a book the readers love, and talk about to all their friends.

I really disagree with this. Yes readers buy books. Yes they do listen to friends on what books is good and ratings on reviews. But, that isn't always the case. Commercial authors- big or small press and self publishers- should always be willing to promote their work. They may not have to work so hard if they have a big house behind them, but they have to be out there. If you aren't you will fade away even if you have a best seller.

Now, I don't know as much about the BIG publishers but I know small press has to work their tails off with promotions. A lot of it is simple stuff such as a weekly reminder, or a blog post once a month about writing processes. But some of it really is difficult. There's review sites, interviews, podcasts, etc that can help an author reach new readers. Not every publisher has the ability or time to do all of this. Therefore, a lot of it gets tossed back over to the author. Some are lucky enough to hire a promoter but most do the best they can with what time and effort they can put in.

Take a look at the bestseller list, find all the first novels that have appeared there, which is a bunch, and tell me how many of these writers you even heard of until after their first book was on the list. Publishers promote books. They simply do. Reviewers and critics also promote books, if the books are any good. What the writer does really means nothing until after the books is selling well enough to make readers want to know whoever write it.

And how many authors fade away after that best seller?

A sustained writing career involves active participation. Even big publishers do not have the ability to continuously promote an author for months or a year after a book comes out. They have too many authors and books and it get too complicated to keep track of.

Big publishers rely on the author to do their part in promotion. That includes BEFORE the book comes out not just after. Promotion includes interviews, contacting reviewers, getting on podcasts, and doing readings and signings. If an author isn't doing at least some of this to garner attention, the book will not do as well.

For instance: Publisher X has 3 new authors who are launching series next month.
Author 1 has had a little success in self publishing and has a total of 14 books out but has very little social media presence and isn't interested in doing extra promotion.
Author 2 has had several short story sales. Posts once a month on blogs, sometimes participated in social media, and has just started going to conventions. Willing to do some promotion but not a lot.
Author 3 is a new author. No real background except a few short story sales. Has a big social media presence, is excited and willing to promote the book, looks for promotion sites on their own. Participated in conventions and has scheduled some readings and book signings without prompting from the publisher.

If they are all writing the same genre (say these are all mid-list authors), which one will do better?

In my experience, Author 3, even though they don't have much experience. The difference is, that author is willing to connect with people. Readers may be the ones to buy books, but the author is the one who sells them on that buy. Author 3 is willing to be out facing the public, convincing them that this is a good book.

Books sell because they're good, because readers can't stop talking about them, and tell all their friends, who tell all their friends, etc. All promotion does is let a reasonable number of readers know the books exists. It doesn't take many readers to start an avalanche. The promotion every commercial publisher does lets this happen, even if the writer does nothing.

Being a "good" book doesn't make it a best seller. How many classics were total flops when they first came out? ;) How many of those best sellers were rejected before they found a publisher?

The word "good" is too subjective. I might think a book is good, but not the person standing next to me. A good promotion plan selects venues where the most people who enjoy that genre stop in at. If you have a horror book, you probably aren't going to promote it at a historical romance site (although it could happen if there's a lot of crossover.) Readers will decide if that's a good fit for them.

Truthfully much of the commercial promotion is very generic. They submit to certain sites for reviews; they take out advertisements in certain venues. There's lots of gaps. And it's up to the author to fill those in.

There's a reason publishers seldom pour money into a book until after it shows it has legs. Until this point, there's no reason at all to believe any kind of promotion will help and, in fact, all the promotion in the world won't help, unless a lot of readers love the book. When the time comes to put the writer on the road, to give the writer true promotion money, the book is already a success. Ignore this when a publisher pulls a stunt like giving a first time writer a two million dollar advance, but for the vast, vast majority of novels, it's true.

So above you are saying a publisher does all the promotion and the author can sit back and write the next book? But now, you say that a publisher doesn't pour money into a book until it can stand on it's own? ;)

Well if scenario #2 is true, who's doing the promotions? The author or someone the author has hired to promote the book. I completely disagree that no kind of promotion will help at all. Any type of promotion helps. Making Facebook posts, talking about pre-orders, scheduling an online/virtual/booklaunch party, being on panels at conventions, writing blog posts ALL help sales. The more an author is talking up their book (promotion) the more word will spread and the better chances they will have sales.

Very few publishers schedule book tours anymore. If an author wants to do them, they usually have to do that themselves. Authors pay for these with the money they earn. I'm not aware of any mid-list or even best-selling (unless it's a mega superstar) author (in the speculative fiction field) who are on tour on the dime of the publisher. But again I could be wrong.

As I said, all you should have to do is take a look at first novels that are bestsellers to dispel the writer as promoter theory. I know a lot of writers who spend far, far more time promoting a book than they spend writing new books. None of them are making any money. Most of them are losing a lot of money because they're spending it on promotion, rather than earning it by writing more books.

Well every bestselling author I know of promotes their books. They do interviews, seek out review sites, go to conventions, readings and signings. I don't know if the publishers set this all up but I doubt it.

There's a big myth as to how much promotion someone should be doing. Truthfully, most of it is easy stuff that can be taken care of in an hour a day. (FB/Twitter/forums and blog) Other stuff, such as finding reviewers, podcasts, etc do take more time for research.(2 or so hours weekly) Taking a day or weekend away from writing to go to a convention can be priceless. But most of the time 10 hours a week covers everything. Plenty of time for writing. And a lot of the easy stuff doesn't cost anything.

But if you want to have a sustained career, an author has to have some sort of public presence for promotion. Publishers cannot be relied upon to do the work. Smaller publishers can't always do this. Even large publishers won't keep a sustained promotional push for long. Therefore, it really is up to the author to either promote themselves or to hire someone to promote them.

JHFC

Registered
Reaction score
In regards to the "best seller" comment, I think JAR is talking about steadily selling books. That's what he has experience in. No one can make themselves Stephen King. Sorry, it isn't possible. It is possible to become Stephen King or JK Rowling or Anne Rice or whoever, but not through your own talent or effort. You obviously have to have talent, but the rest of it is just the magic randomness of life.

So, I think JAR gives good advice on how to be a writer and be successful as a writer, because that's the only thing that *you* can do.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
In regards to the "best seller" comment, I think JAR is talking about steadily selling books. That's what he has experience in. No one can make themselves Stephen King. Sorry, it isn't possible. It is possible to become Stephen King or JK Rowling or Anne Rice or whoever, but not through your own talent or effort. You obviously have to have talent, but the rest of it is just the magic randomness of life.

So, I think JAR gives good advice on how to be a writer and be successful as a writer, because that's the only thing that *you* can do.

I understand the "best seller" comment. However, before SK and JK Rowling became a big name, they were out there doing promotions. Book signings, interviews, talking to review sites, and I bet at least SOME of it was done outside of the publisher. Part of their success and continued success is because they are public figures in the literary world.

I don't think that an author's only responsibility is to write. Just like knowing what your contract means, keeping track of royalties/payments, promotion is just another skill a successful writer needs to be aware of.

Does this mean you need to be a guru? No, but it does mean that a basic understanding and a little effort can help your career tremendously. Is it time consuming? Yes at times. But in the long run, an author will be so much better off doing at least a small bit of promotion than if they do none at all.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Well every bestselling author I know of promotes their books. They do interviews, seek out review sites, go to conventions, readings and signings. I don't know if the publishers set this all up but I doubt it.

Most of it is in fact coordinated by agents and publishers; generally a book has a team behind it—including an assigned publicist.

Each ARC I receive to review has collateral material, including a sales sheet, and the publicist to contact with questions, the review link/publication and a way to arrange interviews, etc.

But if you want to have a sustained career, an author has to have some sort of public presence for promotion. Publishers cannot be relied upon to do the work. Smaller publishers can't always do this. Even large publishers won't keep a sustained promotional push for long. Therefore, it really is up to the author to either promote themselves or to hire someone to promote them.

Someone needs to explain this to Thomas Pynchon.

In other words, no, you really don't have to do a whole lot if you're not self-published; you need to make it easy to find you and what you've written; even a free account on about.me is enough, if you're an author with a trade publisher.

Sure, beyond the website, a presence on Twitter can be a plus; so can other social media outlets.

Most authors would rather write than promote. And if a writer has to choose between writing time and PR time, writing time should generally win.

Much of the advice given to authors about promotion, especially to self-published authors, is really bad. The advice to constantly shill on Twitter, to make forum posts about your book on a regular basis, much of it ends up making the author someone to avoid.

In fact the hands-down best way to promote your books is to write, sell, and publish a new book; new books sell the backlist.

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
It's true that good writing promotes itself. I've put no effort into promoting my blog, definitely no SEO, and still get lots of traffic from search engines. That happened all by itself. It's still getting lots of traffic even though I haven't written any new content for months. (Been meaning to but working on my novel instead.)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
And please, oh fellow authors, be really careful about how much you share online in the name of 'opening up' to your fans. Most of them really just want you to keep writing books.

Don't post pictures of your kids, pets, neighborhood, etc. Think about what can be used to stalk you, before you clutter up your FB page or whatever. Ask yourself if that photo or revealing sentence is absolutely necessary in your conversation with your fans. It only takes one stalker, jealous ex, or snubbed fellow writer to really ruin your day.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
metadata metadata metadata

One of the best kinds of metadata, that is data about data, or that describes data, for writers is to use the cite tag for the titles of books and other long works (films, plays, television series titles).

The cite tag usually displays the title in italics (this part depends on the CSS of the website), but more importantly, it tells search engines that this is the title of a work, and search engines pay attention to that in terms of how your page is ranked and indexed.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
And please, oh fellow authors, be really careful about how much you share online in the name of 'opening up' to your fans. Most of them really just want you to keep writing books.

Don't post pictures of your kids, pets, neighborhood, etc. Think about what can be used to stalk you, before you clutter up your FB page or whatever.

One of the things I suggest authors do, early on, is separate the public (their role as an author/writer) from the private (their personal life and family).

It's usually a good idea to have a separate email address for author stuff from the private, not public and not generally shared email address used by personal friends and family members.

Also, if the writer plans on having an email based newsletter they are required in many countries (including the U.S. and Canada) to have a publicly accessible, visible postal address associated with the newsletter/email list, as well as a clear and functioning method for unsubscribing from the email list. It's a good idea to have a rented box /mail drop at a postal service company or post office. And if the expense of renting one is more than you want to spend, then perhaps a newsletter isn't really a viable option for you; perhaps you might be better off to postpone it.

It goes without saying that such mailing lists should be opt-in, that is, you don't collect email addresses yourself and send your newsletter to people who haven't specifically requested to receive it.

Last edited: