Virutoso writing examples

Status
Not open for further replies.

Re-modernist

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Yes. If my books weren't packed I'd be flying to my shelves to give the translator of my edition of Of Love and Other Demons all due credit.

When I was younger I decided to save time by fusing the 19th century Russian school into "the Tolstoyevsky people", and the 20th century magic realists into "the Horhe Borhe people". :D I must admit I prefer Tolstoyevsky to Horhe Borhe.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Not THE GOOD SOLDIER?

Never read that, but having now looked it up, I think it sounds very depressing. :)

OK, so three quotes from Diana Gabaldon. The first two of these are from Dragonfly in Amber, and the third is from The Drums of Autumn:

Babies are soft. Anyone looking at them can see the tender, fragile skin and know it for the rose-leaf softness that invites a finger's touch. But when you live with them and love them, you feel the softness going inward, the round-cheeked flesh wobbly as custard, the boneless splay of the tiny hands. Their joints are melted rubber, and even when you kiss them hard, in the passion of loving their existence, your lips sink down and seem never to find bone. Holding them against you, they melt and mold, as though they might at any moment flow back into your body.

But from the very start, there is that small streak of steel within each child. That thing that says "I am," and forms the core of personality.

In the second year, the bone hardens and the child stands upright, skull wide and solid, a helmet protecting the softness within. And "I am" grows, too. Looking at them, you can almost see it, sturdy as heartwood, glowing through the translucent flesh.

The bones of the face emerge at six, and the soul within is fixed at seven. The process of encapsulation goes on, to reach its peak in the glossy shell of adolescence, when all softness then is hidden under the nacreous layers of the multiple new personalities that teenagers try on to guard themselves.

In the next years, the hardening spreads from the center, as one finds and fixes the facets of the soul, until "I am" is set, delicate and detailed as an insect in amber.

“I stood still, vision blurring, and in that moment, I heard my heart break. It was a small, clean sound, like the snapping of a flower's stem.”

“And when my body shall cease, my soul will still be yours. Claire--I swear by my hope of heaven, I will not be parted from you."

The wind stirred the leaves of the chestnut trees nearby, and the scents of late summer rose up rich around us; pine and grass and strawberries, sun-warmed stone and cool water, and the sharp, musky smell of his body next to mine.

"Nothing is lost, Sassenach; only changed."

"That's the first law of thermodynamics," I said, wiping my nose.

"No," he said. "That's faith.”

Last edited:

JHFC

Registered
Reaction score
THE GOOD SOLDIER starts with the words "This is the saddest story I've ever heard." Sorry, it was a lame joke.

Re-modernist

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
/.../

OK, so three quotes from Diana Gabaldon. The first two of these are from Dragonfly in Amber, and the third is from The Drums of Autumn:

Heeey, that squishy baby with a steel core bit and the subsequent defensive identities is pretty badass. Here's a dry masculine burst from John D Macdonald:

By the time I hung up, Lois sounded pretty good. I wondered if I had been a damn fool not to lock up the liquor supply or at least to arrange to have somebody stay with her.
Hurry home, Mother McGee.
People have their acquired armor, made up of gestures and expressions and defensive chatter. Lois's had all been brutally stripped awy, and I knew her as well as anybody ever had or ever would. I knew her from filled teeth to the childhood apple tree, from appendix scar to wedding night, and it was time for her to start growing her new carapace, with me on the outside. I caught her raw, and did not care to be joined to her by scar tissue when healing began.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
THE GOOD SOLDIER starts with the words "This is the saddest story I've ever heard." Sorry, it was a lame joke.

Oof. Sorry I missed it. :greenie

PandaMan

Panda girls are the best!
Registered
Reaction score

Those are awesome. Looks like I'm going to have to pick up my game to reach that level.

I've only read the first book in the Outlander series and that was 20 years or so ago. I liked it but don't remember much about the plot. I'd probably have to read it again to continue with the series.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Heeey, that squishy baby with a steel core bit and the subsequent defensive identities is pretty badass. Here's a dry masculine burst from John D Macdonald:

Oh, that's fantastic.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Those are awesome. Looks like I'm going to have to pick up my game to reach that level.

I've only read the first book in the Outlander series and that was 20 years or so ago. I liked it but don't remember much about the plot. I'd probably have to read it again to continue with the series.

I expect you would, yes. It's all one long story.

JHFC

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a question I have, though a minor derail-- are they worth reading? My wife has been reading them after a friend recommended them, and I'm not doubting the story is good but I have trouble believing the story is good enough to need 8000 pages to be properly told.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a question I have, though a minor derail-- are they worth reading? My wife has been reading them after a friend recommended them, and I'm not doubting the story is good but I have trouble believing the story is good enough to need 8000 pages to be properly told.

Tastes vary, so I can't say whether they would appeal to you. But I think they are an engrossing, funny (at times), emotionally wrenching (at other times), compelling story, brilliantly told.

As to the length, people who love them are along for the journey more than the destination. And the journey encompasses (so far) thirty years, two generations, and two different centuries.

JHFC

Registered
Reaction score
And the journey encompasses (so far) thirty years, two generations, and two different centuries.
Ah, that makes more sense. I guess that was sort of what I was asking-- I didn't realize it went on that long chronologically.

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com
The Fir Tree, by Hans Christian Anderson. The loss and regret at the end is so profound. I always cry.

And the Tree beheld all the beauty of the flowers, and the freshness in the garden; he beheld himself, and wished he had remained in his dark corner in the loft; he thought of his first youth in the wood, of the merry Christmas-eve, and of the little Mice who had listened with so much pleasure to the story of Humpy-Dumpy.

"'Tis over -- 'tis past!" said the poor Tree. "Had I but rejoiced when I had reason to do so! But now 'tis past, 'tis past!"

And the gardener's boy chopped the Tree into small pieces; there was a whole heap lying there. The wood flamed up splendidly under the large brewing copper, and it sighed so deeply! Each sigh was like a shot.

The boys played about in the court, and the youngest wore the gold star on his breast which the Tree had had on the happiest evening of his life. However, that was over now -- the Tree gone, the story at an end. All, all was over -- every tale must end at last.

That could push a depressed person to suicide.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
"This evening, as he sat silently in the velvet-backed chair, his mind had turned to many subjects like a black craft, that though it steers through many waters has always beneath a deathly image reflected among the waves. Philosophers and the poetry of Death - the meaning of the stars and the nature of these dreams that haunted him when in those chloral hours before the dawn the laudanum built for him within his skull a tallow-coloured world of ghastly beauty." - Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake

I don't usually remember passages, even from my favorite books, but this one stuck with me, even though I often found Titus Groan​ to be exhausting.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I feel that way about The Velveteen Rabbit.

You know, I never read that one as a child, but I did read it to at least one of my own children, and we agreed it was just too depressing to read again.

Last edited:

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com
"This evening, as he sat silently in the velvet-backed chair, his mind had turned to many subjects like a black craft, that thought it steers through many waters has always beneath a deathly image reflected among the waves. Philosophers and the poetry of Death - the meaning of the stars and the nature of these dreams that haunted him when in those chloral hours before the dawn the laudanum built for him within his skull a tallow-coloured world of ghastly beauty." - Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake

I don't usually remember passages, even from my favorite books, but this one stuck with me, even though I often found Titus Groan​ to be exhausting.

How tedious. Is this punctuated properly? Are all the words in the correct order? I'm afraid I wouldn't make it through another single sentence of this. Groan is an apt name for the author.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
How tedious. Is this punctuated properly? Are all the words in the correct order? I'm afraid I wouldn't make it through another single sentence of this. Groan is an apt name for the author.

I wrote 'thought' instead of 'though,' which is now fixed. Otherwise, I've quoted it without error, as far as I know. And yes, you could accuse Peake of being overwritten and no one would bat an eye, but I really loved some passages.

JHFC

Registered
Reaction score
That's not very nice. As a "southernwriter" I'd think you'd be more open to a meandering sentence or two. We are the land of Faulkner, after all.

Re-modernist

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
That was a nice bit from Titus Groan.

Here's a burst of the sensuous atmospheric writing for which Ramsey Campbell is so loved by...lovers of sensuous atmospheric writing. From Midnight Sun
Something had entered the graveyard. Ben had to shade his eyes with one shaky hand, to block off some of the glare from the obelisk, before he could begin to distinguish what he was seeing. Between him and the hedge below the common, a patch of air as wide as several graves and taller than the obelisk was glittering with flecks bright as particles of a mirror. Beneath it a faint pale line glistened on the grass, and Ben saw that the particles were dancing leisurely towards him.

As the glittering passed beneath a tree, two leaves fell. He saw them turn white as they seesawed to the ground. He thought he drew several long breaths as he watched them fall, but he could no longer see his breath. His body seemed to be slowing down, becoming calm as marble, though he felt as if he was holding himself still against a threat of shivering panic. Yet his hands were moving, rising almost imperceptibly as though to greet whatever was coming to him. As they reached the level of his vision he saw that his fingers had begun to glitter with flakes of the ice in the air. A silence far more profound than the peace of the churchyard was reaching for him. He was distantly aware of pacing towards a gap in the hedge which led onto the common, following the dance of ice as it moved away. He felt that if he followed where it led, he might understand what the dance was suggesting.

A man was shouting, but Ben ignored him. He was sure he had time to reach the trees and hide. He felt as if the hushed dance might already be hiding him, for the dazzling crystals were lingering around him as if they wanted him to join in the dance. The vanishing patterns they made in the air, and their almost inaudible whispering which he was straining to hear, seemed to promise mysteries beyond imagining.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
Re: human condition mastery:

Her soft surface, her full figure, she carried as if it were a hindrance to the hard strength of experience within her, as if she lived with her body on the basis of an old and difficult truce.

Stephen R. Donaldson - Lord Foul's Bane

JimRac

Registered
Reaction score
Babies are soft. Anyone looking at them can see the tender, fragile skin and know it for the rose-leaf softness that invites a finger's touch. But when you live with them and love them, you feel the softness going inward, the round-cheeked flesh wobbly as custard, the boneless splay of the tiny hands. Their joints are melted rubber, and even when you kiss them hard, in the passion of loving their existence, your lips sink down and seem never to find bone. Holding them against you, they melt and mold, as though they might at any moment flow back into your body.

But from the very start, there is that small streak of steel within each child. That thing that says "I am," and forms the core of personality.

In the second year, the bone hardens and the child stands upright, skull wide and solid, a helmet protecting the softness within. And "I am" grows, too. Looking at them, you can almost see it, sturdy as heartwood, glowing through the translucent flesh.

The bones of the face emerge at six, and the soul within is fixed at seven. The process of encapsulation goes on, to reach its peak in the glossy shell of adolescence, when all softness then is hidden under the nacreous layers of the multiple new personalities that teenagers try on to guard themselves.

In the next years, the hardening spreads from the center, as one finds and fixes the facets of the soul, until "I am" is set, delicate and detailed as an insect in amber.

Others have already commented, however I can't help but pile on: This is amazing. I will run right out and order Outlander.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Others have already commented, however I can't help but pile on: This is amazing. I will run right out and order Outlander.

Hope you enjoy it!

Re-modernist

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
From Thomas Pynchon's Bleeding Edge

I've lately began to find Pynchon increasingly attractive. Prose with way more impact than Vonnegut's, but more disciplined than Tom Robbins's. I like this middle ground between 'straight' and 'acid' style.

Sunlight reflected from east-facing apartment windows has begun to show up in blurry patterns on the fronts of buildings across the street. Two-part buses, new on the routes, creep the crosstown blocks like giant insects. Steel shutters are being rolled up, early trucks are double-parking, guys are out with hoses cleaning off their piece of sidewalk. Unsheltered people sleep in doorways, scavengers with huge plastic sacks full of empty beer and soda cans head for the markets to cash them in, work crews wait in front of buildings for the super to show up. Runners are bouncing up and down at the curb waiting for lights to change. Cops are in coffee shops dealing with bagel deficiencies. Kids, parents, and nannies wheeled and afoot are heading in all different directions for schools in the neighborhood. Half the kids seem to be on new Razor scooters, so to the list of things to keep alert for add ambush by rolling aluminum.

The Otto Kugelblitz School occupies three adjoining brownstones between Amsterdam and Columbus, on a cross street Law & Order has so far managed not to film on. The school is named for an early psychoanalyst who was expelled from Freud’s inner circle because of a recapitulation theory he’d worked out. It seemed to him obvious that the human life span runs through the varieties of mental disorder as understood in his day—the solipsism of infancy, the sexual hysterias of adolescence and entry-level adulthood, the paranoia of middle age, the dementia of late life . . . all working up to death, which at last turns out to be “sanity.”

“Great time to be finding that out!” Freud flicking cigar ash at Kugelblitz and ordering him out the door of Berggasse 19, never to return.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.