Afraid Of Rejection

tiggs

Registered
Reaction score
I fear rejection, too.

For me, it's less about someone saying "No", than the thought that what I've written isn't good enough - and that I'm not good enough, by association.

The key seems to be realizing that it's a necessary part of the journey.

The thing that I cling to is knowing that even when I do get published, there will be some people who'll read what I've written and still hate it. Because that changes it from being a purely black and white thing into a million shades of gray.

All writing is subjective, as is the "nope" avalanche we're about to walk into. Even JK Rowling was rejected 12 times and told not to quit her day job.

At the end of the day, agents are only interested in taking on books that they believe they can make money from selling to a publisher. That publisher will only buy books they believe they can sell to a large enough audience to turn a decent profit.

We are not our books. Whether an agent can sell what we've written or not, is no reflection on who we are.

It's a reflection of their perceived marketability of a product we've pitched at them. Some of the time, they won't even read past our query letter.

Even when our ideas are good, we'll still need to nail the execution - and we all know just how hard that is.

But with enough persistence - one day, we'll pitch the right thing to the right agent at the right time - and the rest will hopefully be History.

MaggieMc

Registered
Reaction score
I have to admit, I don't really get this. I'm not a bit afraid of rejection. What's to be afraid of? Dread it, yes. Hate it, yes. Be mad at it. Be sick about it. I can see all those things. But I don't really get the fear thing.

etherme

Making my own luck
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.eriktherme.com
One of my favorite quotes of all times: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tired.

Rejection sucks, but (as everyone else says) it's all part of the process!

Reaction score
Rejection does suck. It especially sucks when a magazine demotes you from personal to form rejection lol. (My most recent from F&SF was form, but the three prior to it were personal. It makes me think I'm loosing skillz...)

But thou must ploweth onward, ye dabbler of ink! Let not rejection trouble thee, for if thou hast not trial by fire, then what shall be said for thee when true hellfire--the negative review--cometh thine way?

Last edited:

TECarter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tecarter.com
I've written 16 books. Over a timeframe too long to talk about! I've queried five now. The first one was bad and shouldn't have been queried but I was naive. The second was shelved after I decided I didn't like it enough. I wasn't interested in querying for 3-13. 14 got about 40 rejections before I shelved it. 15 was upwards of 200.

At that point, I decided not to try publishing anything and wrote for me. I stopped thinking about that next step and decided it didn't matter. I was happy with some of my work and not happy with other things, but that self-recognition of what was strong had no bearing on what agents thought.

I finally decided to try again. I've done more workshops and webinars and conferences and critiques than a person should. I've hired multiple editors to get varied perspectives.

Today I'm up to five rejections and I just got started again. To be honest, all of the joy I had from writing in the time away from it has started to fade again. I think that says everything about the process. After this round comes back, maybe I will try the second round. Maybe I won't. The point is I want to work on something else but the feeling of constantly not being enough can be discouraging. So if five more roll in, it's probably best to stop for a while and go back to loving it.

What I'm saying is rejection is frustrating. Writing shouldn't be. And when rejection begins to interfere with the reason you're doing it in the first place, maybe it's best to go back to that passion and let the rest do what it will.

Note: To demonstrate how this entire process can be, I had an offer the day after I posted this!

Last edited: