Votes: 31 24.4%
  • 20th century

Votes: 49 38.6%

• Total voters

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
The MS I'm querying is set in the Antebellum South, and I'm about to start querying a different MS set in the 1920s (seems to be a popular time :D) I've just started working on a WIP set during WWI about the suffragettes. I'm pretty excited about it, but I've also noticed there is a major lack of fiction about suffragettes. That's so sad because it's such a pivotal moment in history. Hopefully, with the 100 year anniversary coming up in a few years, that subject will pick up.

JeffTheDuck

Just a duck
Registered
Reaction score
I am currently on this kick of the first cities, so around 4,000 BC. I read a book on the subject called Babylon: Mesopotamia and the Birth of Civilization which really fascinated me for a couple reasons.

1. Its the first time humans every tried to 'form' a city. All the mistakes of governance, the nonsense, the successes, and the terrible tragedy of disease (we had not yet developed immunity to anything really) gripped me.
2. The time period is when on one really knows how to do anything, there are no examples to go by so shoot, lets see what works!

Once you get over the limits of technology during that era (kinda frustrating when you have very limited metal use) it's really a lot of fun

anakhouri79

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a fantasy that is basically set in Iron Age Britain. The research is just as much fun as the writing!

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a fantasy that is basically set in Iron Age Britain. The research is just as much fun as the writing!

Cool. Is there a Boudica-like character in your fantasy world?

anakhouri79

Registered
Reaction score
There is a female warrior but she's not the main character. Eventually she'll become kind of an advisor to the main character who does come to rule one of the tribes.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
1356 Cornwall, under contract. This is the third book in a three-book time travel series. I love the idea of medieval England and how people lived, particularly in the off-the-beaten-track southwest. Everything I read is set in the Midlands or 'round London, so I didn't want to go that way.

Rumelo

Registered
Reaction score
Very early WIP. 1770s in what is current day Northern Mexico/ US Southwest.

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
Medieval - 1050 - Vikings and Aztecs
Napoleonian - 1795-18... and afterwards - since my story starts in the Jacobine Italian republics and ends in USA, witnessing Louisiana Purchase and the characters making a new life in the West (near St Louis). The third volume might cover even up to the Cherokee Trail of Tears.

shootseven

Registered
Reaction score
My first book (nonfiction) was a western, took place in 1890s New Mexico--one of my favorite time periods and locations.

I followed that with a biography of a Civil War spy.

My newest book, my first novel, takes place in 1950s Ohio.

I do love writing about different time periods, but it means, even with fiction, a lot of research so everything is correct to the period.

http://www.coreyrecko.com

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
My project is set in the early 1950s in New York and New Jersey. Right now it's Jan-Mar 1952, but as the specific dates don't matter that much, it could move.

ecerberus

Registered
Reaction score
Mine takes place between 321 BC and 325 BC, set in Alexander's time. It's been interesting and fun to keep the portrayals authentic and true as possible to historical records of the era (which are rather sketchy) while developing characters who behave realistically.

writbeyondmeasure

Registered
Reaction score
Mine is a time-travel story so technically it is set now but the main characters travel back to Shakespeare's London (1590 specifically) and the American Civil War.

artisanne

Registered
Reaction score
RedDragonness, your concept sounds neat. I listened to a Podcast recently on orphan ships, which emigrated children forcibly from England to Canada, and thought of writing a magical realism book with a similar kind of concept- from the POV of a child en route, strictly set on the ship. I'm pretty addicted to history podcasts, I'd recommend Stuff you Missed in History Class to anybody who wants ideas for settings and historical events to write about, as its really entertaining and gives lots of lesser known bits and background from history.

My recently completed YA novel is set in 1912, in a fictional but historically grounded traveling circus, and is an illustrated novel as well. My drawings, which are in the style of historic circus posters and portraits, are at https://theshimmeringcircus.deviantart.com/ . Feel free to take a look at them and leave me any comments- I love sharing my work.

It has a slight magical realism feel, but is the first in an intended series that my plan to be a slow developing but subtle portal fantasy (think His Dark Materials- a parallel world that is revealed but the characters don't visit for a long time and is very grounded in reality/string theory). I also wanted to bring in some AU themes, but in the other world, using the premise that my parallel world mimicks/mirrors our world so after WWI breaks out my characters are attempting to stop similar circumstances before a war breaks out there.

I did a ton of research on circus history for the writing, as well a the pre WWI era (it was kind of sad- they were incredibly hopeful just before the Great War :(. It was super interesting, but I've been a bit bummed at the reception from my first batch of queries- 100% form rejections. So I'm going to go back to the drawing board and revise my query and get some feedback on SYW here. I had to take a break though, because it made me too sad :(

Gabriele Campbell

Tribune of the Lost Fort
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostfort.blogspot.com
Early Imperial Rome (Battle of the Teutoburg Forest and Germanicus' campaigns, Battle of Mons Graupius), the time of Maximinus Thrax (about 235 AD), and a family saga set in early 10th century Germany / England / Scotland / Scandinavia.