Question about providing tax info to Amazon

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hello, hello!! I finally decided to try and publish something with Createspace and they needed tax information. So I was wondering what the best option is for this: In order for Amazon to provide an electronic version of your tax information reporting Form 1099, the IRS requires that we obtain your consent. If you do not provide consent for electronic delivery of your tax information reporting statements, you may still use the U.S. tax interview process to complete your IRS W-9 or W-8 form. However, at the end of the calendar year, we will mail your completed tax information reporting statements for your records.

If you provide consent for electronic delivery of your tax information reporting statements, you may revoke this consent at any time by retaking the tax information interview.

Note: At this time, not all Amazon businesses have enabled the electronic delivery of Form 1099. You may still receive a paper form from these businesses until the electronic delivery has been enabled.

Should I just consent, or should I have it sent to me? I will definitely do the electronic signature, but was just not sure about this other thing. What do you guys say? In all truth, I have not really worked before, and therefore, I have not payed taxes before really. So the process is a bit new to me. So I was just wondering if you had any thoughts. In all truth, I am incredibly nervous about giving anybody any information such as my social security number online. Thank you!!

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
I would say the risk of Amazon misusing your social security number is very small. They have way too much to lose in the way of reputation, versus any possible gain they would see from misusing your SSN. Make sure your system is virus and malware free before providing the info, but I don't think there's any real risk from the company itself.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Another question about createspace

Hello all!! Thank you for putting up with my stupid questions. Okay, here is the latest one. If I let them assign an ISBN, does that mean that I will not be able to publish it again with any other publisher? Not that I am thinking of doing so, but still, I assume that's what it means. That pretty much they claim the ISBN for Spain and they get the only rights to publish it. Am I right? I mean, it's a historical book about samurai film, and I just figured I would go ahead and get it out there, since it's not my big baby that I plan to put with a real publisher. All in all, I would be fine with leaving it with them, however, I just don't know enough to understand if it is a wise choice to do so. Right now I cannot afford any paid options that they offer. What do you say? Thank you!!

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Um... I think they just own the rights for that edition of the book.

So you can basically take your manuscript somewhere else, and as long as you don't use their templates and change it enough to be another edition, you can get it printed up somewhere else.

Can someone confirm that, please?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
As I understand it, when CreateSpace assigns an ISBN they don't get the rights to anything at all.

It just means that you can use that ISBN in association with your CreateSpace book.

You can go on to publish the book anywhere you like. In any form you like. But you can't use that ISBN with any other edition: it's solely for use in CreatSpace.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Ah, okay. Thank you!! I just wanted to know before I finalized things. Cheers!!

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
One last question about Amazon

Hello, I just have one last worry let's say. I looked through the proof of the book and everything looks fine, but I did notice one thing, some of the footnote numbers did not come out in the usual footnote size or place. I checked the original document and they all seem to be fine, so it is not my document formatting, it is something with theirs. Other than that, it's just a few of them here and there and I am worried that if I resubmit the document it will be the same, or different ones will come out wrong. At this point I can probably approve it and have it be fine. At least the numbers are there and can direct people to the correct footnote. What do you suggest? Should I go to support with this or should I just publish and accept that there are a few small errors? Thank you!!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If I were in your position I'd make sure it was correct before making the book public.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Is this an ebook or a paperback book? And what type of file are you uploading? (.doc or .mobi or pdf)

If you're uploading a Word file then there's some conversion that happens that may have changed those formats. I'd try to fix it. With paperback, save as .pdf and upload that once you confirm it looks fine. With ebook, I might use D2D's interface to generate a .mobi file to see if that fixes it and then upload that file.

If you're uploading a .mobi or .pdf and the formatting is getting changed, I'd contact support.

Last edited:

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Ah, okay. I was just submitting the .doc document. I will try it again with pdf. Thank you. If it doesn't work, I will try something else.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Just to be clear, you want to submit a PDF if we're talking about a print book only. DO NOT submit a PDF for an ebook.

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how footnotes would work on an ebook as ereaders don't display pages as such. My guess is that they would appear in the middle of the text, so are best put at the end of each chapter.

FionnJameson

Fionn: 0/Year: 24
Registered
Reaction score
Terry Prachett's Discworld series makes liberal use of footnotes (sometimes I read the footnotes on their own, effing HILARIOUS) and what he does is, he links them to the end of the book and he (or the publisher, HarperCollins, amirite?) has them all piled up in the back.

If it's not looking right to you or anyone, don't submit. People will nitpick about stuff like that and it could turn them off the entire book. Get someone else/or hire someone else to take a look at it for you. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Okay, changed to a PDF and all formatting issues were fixed. Thank you all. Hopefully they will not nit-pick too much, hahaha.