Scrivener & Comic Scripting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
So last night I did a chunk of the prep work for the new year - set up all my projects for the coming year in Scrivener to keep them in a tidy little place, and imported some of the information I'd been writing by hand.

Now some questions for the forum:

• Do any of you scrivener for scripting? And if so, do you templates for your scripts? I've found one but I don't know if it's all that great, but so far it gets the job done.
  • If you do use Scrivener, have you found a way to work with both Prose templates and Script templates in the same project? And if so, can you tell me how???
  • And for the general engagement section here: So what projects are you looking at doing this year, writers, and what are you hoping to get done with them?

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
I've been using Antony Johnston's template ever since I started using Scrivener because it was the first I found and it did the job just fine. Not perfect, I guess, butr good enough for my purposes. What I like (over Celtx which I used before) is that you can set up scenes independent of the pages. Just leave the page numbering to the "PAGE <$N>" string and set up your documents any way you like (and I like to set them up as complete scenes).

Including plain text shouldn't be a problem, afaik. All you have to do is open a new document within your project and not use those numbering strings.

As for your last question, I don't have any new scrivener-heavy projects lined up. I have some publications planned but one is a compilation of already-drawn stories, one is at the thumbnailing stage and my webcomics are usually done by the seat of my pants. I have two older projects that I'm working on every now and then and that I keep promising to myself I'd get more serious on, though. Maybe this year if it turns out to be a really quiet year. I also have a non-fiction and non-comic book or two planned and I'm sure to write those in Scrivener.

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I have that template and have been using it. It seems to be the standard for comic scripting in Scrivener, and it's not a bad one to use I've found.

Currently, I've got it set up by individual pages, but-- I'm trying to figure out a few tricks to keep all issues to a project in one project and that's not working out as well as it could, especially when it comes to compiling. It wants to pull allllllllll the pages across all the issues, including ones I've set up but not put anything in yet.

I don't want issue-by-issue items, because I don't want to have to replicate or re-reference items across multiple projects, so if there's a way to solve this that anybody knows I'd really appreciate it.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
You can divide your project into chapters and sub-chapters (or technically documents and sub-documents) (or folder thereof) and only compile the ones you choose by checking everything else off in the compile dialogue.

jaheath

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jaheath.com
I use Scrivener, but with my own template. Since it's just me and the wife working on the comic, I don't worry about keeping a pro format. I'll make notes on what the page is doing, then the dialog for each panel.

PAGE 5

panel 1
suzi - i gotta quit waking up like this.
panel 2
narrative box - my suprise at being seen by this woman must have broken whatever connection we had.

suzi - hey firefly, where'd you go?

panel 3
mirren - who're you talking to suzi?

panel 4
suzi - would you believe glowing blue space elves?

panel 5
suzi - I know what it is. it's finally happened. makes perfect sense

panel 6

suzi - I have the space madness...

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

It's quick and dirty, but it only needs to show who says what in the panel.
That's a good template Super_Duper! Clean and lean.

Status
Not open for further replies.