AW Amazon Affiliate Link

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: 2016 Reading Challenge

Threaded View

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred Chris P's Avatar

2016 Reading Challenge

My daughter posted a link to this blog on Facebook, and I think it's as nifty a challenge as any.

The 2016 Reading Challenge

Basically, you have to read one different book from each of 12 categories during 2016.

Mine are (or might be):

Book published this year: The Caine Prize for African Fiction anthology, due out in July
    Book I can finish in a day: I'm tempted to dig out an old Judy Blume middle grade title that I never read, such as Blubber or Are you there God? It's me, Margaret
    Book I've been meaning to read: City on Fire by Garth Risk Hallberg.
    Book recommended by local librarian or bookseller: Chernobyl by Svetlana Alexievich
    Book I should have read in school: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
    Book chosen for me by a loved one: Hmmm, I'll have to leave that one pending for now
    Book banned at some point: Beloved by Toni Morrison
    Book I previously abandoned: Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
    Book I own but have never read: 1000 Acres by Jane Smiley
    Book that intimidates me: Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving (just because it's long)
    Book I've read already at least once: The Once and Future King by T.H. White

Pretty tall order, as I'm a slow reader and I have a busy year ahead of me.

How about you?

ETA: Throughout the year, feel free to post your progress and discuss your books here.
    Last edited by Chris P; 01-01-2016 at 07:29 PM.
    Join any time! The 2018 Reading Challenge is going on all year. Make this your best reading year ever!