Are you tired of Love Triangles? Why?

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've read a YA book where the author tried to subvert the love triangle cliche by having one of the boys be a literal "shadow" of the other (the same person, but a body and mind split, rather than just a mind split as is found in disassociate disorder.) Another one did the same thing, but the boy was a body-mind split from a female character, and "he" turned out to be gay. It's fun to see authors playing with the trope, but as a reader I'd like less of the trope and more attention paid to the action and character development.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I've read a YA book where the author tried to subvert the love triangle cliche by having one of the boys be a literal "shadow" of the other (the same person, but a body and mind split, rather than just a mind split as is found in disassociate disorder.) Another one did the same thing, but the boy was a body-mind split from a female character, and "he" turned out to be gay. It's fun to see authors playing with the trope, but as a reader I'd like less of the trope and more attention paid to the action and character development.

Yeah. No matter how you twist a trope, it's no good if it isn't backed up by good writing.

SageChild

Registered
Reaction score
That happened to me once.

Two guys fighting over a third guy. I originally intended to kill one of them off. Instead... the two rivals got romantically involved. A few awkward adventures later, and they have slowly transformed into a triad.

I can't stand to see anyone unhappy. I'm a pushover. :Shrug:

Viridian! That sounds exciting. It's a great idea and I think I forgot to think outside the box. I hope that you need a beta reader or at least a review because I would love to read you manuscript. Even if it's done, I would love to read it because I've only seen one poly relationship on television but there aren't many interesting books that involve them. Please let me know if you'd be opene to the idea.

emmajmcwill

Registered
Reaction score
I have always kinda wanted to see a triad explored in YA. I understand that it would be "edgy", but the fact is that there are teens out there who ARE poly-amorous, and would like to see it done well! I honestly thought Cassandra Clare might go there with her Infernal Devices series-- which is probably the only love triangle that didn't make me want to throw the book across the room, since there's no jealousy between the characters about the love triangle and they handle it very maturely, like three people who love each other very much and dont want to let something like this get in the way.

Viridian, if you ever need someone to read your manuscript I would also volunteer as tribute. I'm wholly in love with the idea of a tri-AD as opposed to a tri-ANGLE lol

Contented Reader

Registered
Reaction score
I like a tragic, doomed love triangle. A loves B. But B doesn't love A, B loves C, and C is too busy with her art forgery career to love anyone. Everyone loves, no one is happy. A story like that will make me feel a feeling, when done well.

I don't like a 'who will she pick?' love triangle. A is single. B and C both woo A. Who will A choose? In general, I'll feel a feeling when reading this story, but it'll be a feeling of irritation. "Why are those A's only two choices in life?" I'll ask the story. "Maybe if A doesn't really like B OR C enough to have a clear preference, A should skip them both, and embark on a career in art forgery instead."

The Twilight moment drove me crazy. My students kept asking me, "Are you Team Edward or Team Jacob?" I would tell them, "I'm Team Bella Should Go to College Far, Far Away from Forks."

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I like a tragic, doomed love triangle. A loves B. But B doesn't love A, B loves C, and C is too busy with her art forgery career to love anyone. Everyone loves, no one is happy. A story like that will make me feel a feeling, when done well.

I don't like a 'who will she pick?' love triangle. A is single. B and C both woo A. Who will A choose? In general, I'll feel a feeling when reading this story, but it'll be a feeling of irritation. "Why are those A's only two choices in life?" I'll ask the story. "Maybe if A doesn't really like B OR C enough to have a clear preference, A should skip them both, and embark on a career in art forgery instead."

The Twilight moment drove me crazy. My students kept asking me, "Are you Team Edward or Team Jacob?" I would tell them, "I'm Team Bella Should Go to College Far, Far Away from Forks."

I'll take a tragedy version of a love triangle, done well. MC chooses poorly. MC is harmed by the situation. LI is harmed by it. Etc.

Raxis

Registered
Reaction score
The thing I dislike about love triangles is that it's generally clear almost immediately who the "center" will choose - even to the characters themselves if they had the slightest ability for self-reflection - so unless outside elements split them apart it just reads like a knucklehead is torturing herself (usually it seems like it's a girl deciding between two boys) for the sake of easy drama.

awshaw2

Registered
Reaction score
1. Two guys sitting and calmly discussing the girl they both love and wishing the best of luck for whoever she chooses. I can't imagine any two guys sitting around saying, "Oh, I hope she picks me! But you're way cooler, so you'll probably get her!"

2. Neither guy gives up. Ever. Their love just grows stronger and they eternally want to win her over. They never get tired of the girl. They never get bored. They never seem to figure out that other girls exist. They never get ticked off that she just won't make up her mind. I can't remember, but I THINK Suzanne Collins finally broke this one in Mocking Jay. It didn't happen in the movie, but I could have sworn that Gayle eventually says he's sick of the stupid love triangle and gets himself out and finds another girl. Did I just dream that? If I did, it should have happened.

I agree here that it depends on how you do it. I didn't mind the one in the first two Hunger Games, because it wasn't so consuming. There were moments of Katniss having doubt, or trying to sort her feeling out, but they were tossed away as soon as it was time to fight for her life. The third book felt like the war took a back seat to choosing who it should be. I almost felt like it was forced to the front to compete with the Twilight 'team' hype.

Spoiler alert for Hunger Games:
If I remember it was the bombing of the children, as mentioned before, that hurt the relationship. He couldn't be directly blamed for that action though. I thought it was more of his tactic to bury the soldiers alive by collapsing their mountain tunnels that made her realize how far he had fallen from what she knew. Been a while since I read it, but I thought I remembered that playing a big part in the choice.

Raxis

Registered
Reaction score
I agree here that it depends on how you do it. I didn't mind the one in the first two Hunger Games, because it wasn't so consuming. There were moments of Katniss having doubt, or trying to sort her feeling out, but they were tossed away as soon as it was time to fight for her life. The third book felt like the war took a back seat to choosing who it should be. I almost felt like it was forced to the front to compete with the Twilight 'team' hype.

Spoiler alert for Hunger Games:
If I remember it was the bombing of the children, as mentioned before, that hurt the relationship. He couldn't be directly blamed for that action though. I thought it was more of his tactic to bury the soldiers alive by collapsing their mountain tunnels that made her realize how far he had fallen from what she knew. Been a while since I read it, but I thought I remembered that playing a big part in the choice.

I think part of the issue with that was the fact that Gale's involvement in the first two books are much less than the third. His greater emphasis is what allowed for the almost-forced love triangle to become a bigger thing.

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
I have always kinda wanted to see a triad explored in YA. I understand that it would be "edgy", but the fact is that there are teens out there who ARE poly-amorous, and would like to see it done well!

I haven't read it myself, but my understanding is that Adaptation by Malinda Lo has a triad. Or its sequel does, anyway.

Keobooks

Registered
Reaction score
EMaree inspired me to attempt a love square. It's really easy for me to keep track of, but when I write it out, it seems much more complicated than I thought. But the square thing really added some depth for my story. Originally, there was no triangle at all, but one character was extremely insecure and jealous. She was always paranoid that there was a love triangle, and it was very obvious that there wasn't. The third part of the triangle had NO interest at all in the girl and was very blunt and crude about it.

But the square made everything interesting. I tried writing out the details but it got too involved. I'm going to try to strip it done to bare bones.

Adam: bisexual male, open and unapologetic about it. In committed relationship with Betty. Dislikes Chris until they have a serious friendship built up and then he gets a serious crush. Doesn't really care much for Darlene, because she's a prude and unattractive. Also, Betty is the only female he's interested in.

Betty: I'm not sure what she is. She's not totally straight, though. Totally committed to Adam, and fully endorses his bisexuality. She likes to watch him with other guys. She's been friends with Chris for several years. She's felt mostly pity for Chris, until she notices that he's grown up into a really handsome man. She really wants Adam to hook up with Chris. Not just to watch, but she thinks they could all have a nice arrangement. The idea of having her dear friend and her husband together for a long term deal really appeals to her. Darlene is a friend, but she's too naive and clueless to even discuss this with.

Chris: Possibly asexual? He has a crush on Betty, but she's the only person he's ever had a thing for in his life. So it's hard to say if he's straight or bi. He has NO interest in Adam. But he knows he doesn't stand a chance with Betty. Being intimate with Adam while she watches is the closest thing to being with her that he'll ever get. So he tries to force an attraction to Adam. They become good friends, but it never really works out. He just can't think about Adam that way. He can tell that Darlene is completely obsessed with him. He's not into her, but LOVES the attention. He does whatever he can to encourage it, but never follows through. He knows it's wrong, but after a lifetime of being the ugly duckling, he gets hooked on being the swan for a change.

Darlene: she's my MC and she's just as prudish and clueless as everyone thinks. She's the newcomer to the group and doesn't really know the others well.she doesn't get that Adam isn't just joking around when he talks about men. She can't believe that Betty allows Adam to degrade their relationship with crude humor hinting at infidelity and homosexuality. Chris and Betty are clearly more suited for each other. She can tell that there is some pining away going on between the two, but Betty can't leave Adam. She falls for Chris,mistaking his asexual tendencies for shyness and insecurity. She wants to break him out of his shell. That's the main attraction for her.

It goes very badly in the end. Nobody ends up happy. Geez even when I cut it down to the bones it's long. I swear that it's totally easy to follow when you read it.

Last edited:

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here... just getting involved. My first book is a straight-up YA romance, but I have to admit that I did my level best to avoid anything that even *smelled* like a triangle, especially since my MC is bi. It's also sort of a coming-out story, and I wanted to steer well clear of even remotely suggesting that her bisexuality might make her look wishy-washy or indecisive. Once she comes out to herself and acknowledges where her heart really lies, she lets her boyfriend go (with real emotional consequences for both) even though the LI is with another girl and is the one who winds up prolonging the agony for the requisite handful of chapters (admittedly with a little help from MC). :D

Keobooks, your square does sound complex! I'll be interested to see how it works out, some day...

ACAuthors

Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind love triangles as long as they're not long and drawn out and as long as they're not the main focus of the story. It's natural for characters to be interested in more than one person, but it's a boring concept. I was the main character to be focused on something bigger. Perhaps love (or recognizing love) ends up being a main driving force, but it's a propels the plot forward rather than being awkwardly and forcefully fitted in or being the only plot. Having a love triangle because it's popular is dumb. And boring.

TereLiz

Necromancer to the stars
Registered
Reaction score
I hate it when the story just can't be complete until the character chooses one over the other.

I'd like to see a girl screw up trying to juggle two guys and lose them both. Preferably if it's because she's busy trying to assassinate the evil overlord of her adopted home planet and save her brother's virginity from being sold to the highest bidder.

Tottie Scone

Registered
Reaction score
I struggle to identify with love triangles. It's unavoidable that it must happen sometimes, but like others, I'm going to lose respect for the characters if it gets dragged out for any length of time - it unavoidably means that the focus of the triangle is feckless and unkind, and the other two lack self-respect.

Like Contented Reader, I will happily read a tragic love triangle. It has to either be a transient state of affairs, or be collapsing towards a resolution, with no good ending in sight, to really catch my interest.

A good example of a satisfying love triangle that comes to mind is the Doctor Who setup between the Doctor, Rose and Mickey (Spoilers, if anyone hasn't seen that - it dates back to about 2006). In the end, Mickey took himself out of the situation and went to live in a parallel universe as he had correctly identified the Doctor as Prince Charming and himself as Buttons, and you had to respect him for that; and in the end, the Doctor and Rose romance ended tragically anyway. A satisfyingly miserable setup (which they spoiled later by bringing her back. Don't ever do that.)

On the other hand, the later love triangle between the Doctor, Amy and Rory was just weird and uncomfortable. Amy and Rory were married, for crying out loud. And she kept reassuring Rory that he was the one she loved, but at the end of the day, he was Buttons too, however much the writers wanted him not to be. The dynamic was just wrong. And it went on and on and ON.

But the classic annoying love triangle was obviously in Twilight. I think most people would agree about that. Even if you had respected any of the characters to start with, they all seemed pathetic after their long, drawn-out involvement in that nonsense.

Last edited:

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
If it's unpredictable and a sub-plot, rather then the main focus of the book, I think love triangles can still be good.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I think part of the issue with that was the fact that Gale's involvement in the first two books are much less than the third. His greater emphasis is what allowed for the almost-forced love triangle to become a bigger thing.

Prim's death was indeed the final nail in the love triangle, but it's a bit more than that. There is a passage in the last book where Katniss alludes that in another course of events, she would have ended up with Gale. But then she went to the Games, then she went to war, and she changed. And the person she became didn't love Gale as much as she loved the other person. It was a very smart way to handle a triangle and sort of sad, especially for a story that dealt with a lot of falsities and duplicities.

Overall I'd say there's always one "clear" choice in a love triangle, and it's usually the first guy to make an appearance, and that's why they can be very frustrating.

Quillheart

Registered
Reaction score
Overall I'd say there's always one "clear" choice in a love triangle, and it's usually the first guy to make an appearance, and that's why they can be very frustrating.

I agree. The problem with several YA love triangles arise from the obvious skewing/bias for one particular option. One of the reasons why I liked the love triangle in Brooklyn was because both choices had clear benefits, with their roles embodying metaphors for their respective countries, and there was not clear "choice".

Life is meant to have shades of nuances, and the lack of clarity often results. As long as the novel handles the love triangle with the appropriate subtlety, I don't really mind, but many writers are heavy-handed with which choice they ultimately want i.e. usually the First Girl/Guy.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has there ever been a love triangle in YA fiction where a boy has to choose between a girl and another boy, or a girl between a girl and a boy?

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
The School for Good and Evil (which is upper MG) had a triangle that was supposedly between a girl, her prince charming, and her female best friend. It was... really hard to believe the girls were only friends.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I have always kinda wanted to see a triad explored in YA. I understand that it would be "edgy", but the fact is that there are teens out there who ARE poly-amorous, and would like to see it done well! I honestly thought Cassandra Clare might go there with her Infernal Devices series-- which is probably the only love triangle that didn't make me want to throw the book across the room, since there's no jealousy between the characters about the love triangle and they handle it very maturely, like three people who love each other very much and dont want to let something like this get in the way.
I also thought she'd go there... the actual ending almost made me think it was a cop-out. Like, maybe the editor absolutely said it would be too much for a teen audience, so they did what they did. This is all pure speculation on my part, though. But I wonder if the reason why we see so few poly relationships in YA is a sort of an unstated taboo.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it that common for teens to have poly relationships, though? I can't even think of any adult book, outside of SF, that has one that is concensual on all sides.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Is it that common for teens to have poly relationships, though? I can't even think of any adult book, outside of SF, that has one that is concensual on all sides.

I don't think it's common for fiction of any genre save for erotica.

SuspiciousCakes

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not really sick of love triangles, but I do get sick of some of the more common tropes used in them. I completely agree that having one "good character" and one "bad character" vying for the MC's heart is annoying and trite, and it makes the MC's feelings seem trivial. But some books can pull this off really well too, like Kresley Cole's Arcana Chronicles. She does a really good job of giving the characters a lot of depth, and making sure that the FMC doesn't just develop feelings for two guys without having a good reason, and without feeling conflicted because of it. (I won't give anything away though, just take my word for it :p)

I think love triangles can be useful and interesting though. For example, in a book I'm writing my main character is bi, and I want her absolutely represented that way. As a result, she falls for a guy and then a girl after he betrays her.