eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
I reached all my goals for last week.

This week's goals:

• Write a post on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for on this blog.
  • Edit last week’s short story and submit it.
  • Write 10k in my current WIP (currently: 20k out of 60-70k words).
  • Write another 10k in my current WIP (get to 40k, else I won’t make it to the end of my WIP by the end of the month).
  • Write 2k in WIP2. Currently: 4k out of 60k words.
  • Write a short story for #AShortStoryAWeek.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, eternalized! You've been a busy bee!

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I have a reminder to post a check-in here every week, but I've been making so little progress this month it hardly seems worth it >_<

So, yeah, no progress again. At least I watching the shows are on hold while I watch something else, but I have no excuses for the rest of it. Just a down month for no real reason :Shrug:

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I've been working on the fourth chapter, but I had to actually write most of it before I could edit it. It was needed though, after changes to the previous chapter. I finished my website. I finished the draft of my SS story, and I think I'm going to try and make this one work (rather than the other potential one I had). I finished Coraline. I've almost caught up on stories in my inbox (for relative definitions of almost). I picked up a bunch of books at a second hand spot, including the first Sookie Stackhouse, which I've never actually read. So far it's a little ridiculous at times, but fun.

1. Edit one story and two micros. 1/3
2. Edit four chapters UF. 3/4
3. Make substantial progress on agent list. Some.
4. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited each day. Yup.
5. Read one book. 2/1
6. SS(es) Story. Drafted.
7. Create website.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Still haven't written anything (maybe later tonight?), but I finally got out for a walk today. It was in the 20s and breezy today, so I only did a 45-minute walk, but I did some birdwatching along the way which always lifts my spirits. When I got home I grabbed some books and hustled a half-block to donate them to a new Little Free Library that just went up in my neighborhood. Both outings really lifted my spirits. Hooray for a day off that wasn't completely dedicated to chores!

1) Finish rough draft of Book #3 in my fantasy series
2) Revise manuscript of Book #2 in series
3) Read three books - 3 of 3 COMPLETED
4) Go for at least three good long nature walks - 1 of 3
5) Lose the 5 pounds I put on over the holidays - 2 of 5
6) Write Sekrit Solstice short story

eternalised

Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Updates.

• Write a post on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for on this blog. UPDATE: wrote post for Monday and Wednesday
    [*]Write 10k in my current WIP (currently: 20k out of 60-70k words).
  • Write another 10k in my current WIP (get to 40k, else I won’t make it to the end of my WIP by the end of the month). UPDATE: I'm at 32k words now.

eternalised

Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Another update on the weekly goals:

• Write a post on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for on this blog.
    [*]Write 10k in my current WIP (currently: 20k out of 60-70k words).
  • Write another 10k in my current WIP (get to 40k, else I won’t make it to the end of my WIP by the end of the month).

And progress on this month's goals:

- proofread client project BR completed
- proofread client project HC
- proofread client project CJ
- finish all mini-reviews for this month (18 total) completed
- write 13 reviews on blog - 10/13 done
- send out monthly newsletter
- send out weekly newsletter on book review blog - 3/4 done
- write first draft of WIP1 - 7000 words so far of 60000 words (estimated) UPDATE: 42,000 words of 60,000 so far
- write a short story a week - 2/4
- blog three times a week on my author blog, totalling 12 posts - 9/12 done
- write first draft of WIP2 - 0 words of 10,000 (estimated)- update: 4,000 words of 10,000
- proofread client novella

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We were supposed to start tech for my current production yesterday, but an hour and a half in management realized that the predicted snowfall was coming on quicker and harder than anticipated, and cancelled the rest of the day. There was no rehearsal today, either, and they've also called off tomorrow's rehearsal. Since Monday is our scheduled day off, my next work day is Tuesday. Surely, surely, in the next two days I can get some writing done. Yesterday I simply read (I roared through Cheryl Strayed's Wild, which I enjoyed), and today was spent shoveling snow, then recovering from shoveling snow, then doing laundry and other chores while still more snow fell. Tomorrow we will no doubt be shoveling snow again, but I swear I'm going to spend at least part of the day writing. Finally have an idea for my Sekrit Solstice story and hoping to get that roughed out, as well as make some progress on the WIP.

1) Finish rough draft of Book #3 in my fantasy series
2) Revise manuscript of Book #2 in series
3) Read three books - 4 of 3COMPLETED
5) Lose the 5 pounds I put on over the holidays - 2 of 5
6) Write Sekrit Solstice short story

Last edited:

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Finished the other micro. I don't think I'll get to the story because my focus is on my SS story plus another one I'm trying to finish for a deadline at the end of next month. I've done a little bit of work on that but not a huge amount. Need to pick a day this week to focus on the agent list. I went through and made some minor changes (I had to change a hair colour and stuff for Reasons) to the finished novel, and found a couple of typos. It's crazy how they slip through even after so many revisions and eyes. I finished that last chapter and I've started the next; maybe I'll finish that one before the end of the month.

I've read a few shorts, but my reading has otherwise lulled again.

I am jealous of all the pictures of snow, but I imagine I would feel otherwise were I in it :p

1. Edit one story and two micros. 2/3 + drafted a flash
2. Edit four chapters UF. 4/4
3. Make substantial progress on agent list. Some.
4. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited each day. Yup.
5. Read one book. 2/1
6. SS(es) Story. Drafted.
7. Create website.

eternalised

Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
I finished this month's WIP! I was supposed to reach 40k words this week, but I went on a crazy writing-binge this weekend and ended up with 61229 words, AND "The End" typed underneath. :)

First draft, of course. Needs at least two rounds of editing. But I'm so happy I reached my goal, and with some time to spare.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Hrm. My progress is still slow, but I got in another episode of Daredevil. I think I only have one left, so I should be able to finish that off my the end of the week, at least :tongue

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finally, finally, finally, I got some writing done. About 1k words written between yesterday and today (and between bouts of shoveling snow). I'm so relieved. I was able to move forward into a scene I'm eager to write, and I know pretty much exactly where I'm headed after that. This draft is so very rough, but I'm seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. I may not finish by the end of the month, but at least I'm not stalled any more.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's the 31st and time to check in on how we fared with our January goals.

Me, not so great. My show (which just opened yesterday, thank the gods) ended up eating more of my time and brain power than anticipated, so the writing didn't go well, other than the brief surge the other day. I did achieve a couple of the goals - met my reading goal and finally dropped the excess poundage from the holidays - but the nature walk goal got clobbered by work and the big snowstorm, which made walking well nigh impossible for a week even if I'd had the time (can shoveling snow three times count as walking? Nah, don't think so).

1) Finish rough draft of Book #3 in my fantasy series - nope
2) Revise manuscript of Book #2 in series - nope
3) Read three books - 4 of 3 - COMPLETED with interest
5) Lose the 5 pounds I put on over the holidays - COMPLETED
6) Write Sekrit Solstice short story - nope. Thank goodness we have another month.

Onward to February!

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Oops, we ran out of January. I ended up reading Sense and Sensibility after watching the 1995 movie. It was good - while I've read it before, it's only been once or maybe twice, unlike Pride and Prejudice, which I know inside out. It meant it had a grippiness to it that was delightful, and I had fun seeing the differences with what they chose to adapt. So three-ish books in the month.

I did miss a day for my minimums, but I did lots of reading on that day instead.

I did an extra chapter. While my SS story is not complete, I did a nice amount of progress on it, and I never intended to get it to final-polished version this month anyway. The biggest problem was I failed at one of the most important parts. I need to start querying soon, and I need the agent list for that. I mean, I see every day that my book will be an instant reject (it has a vampire in the opening chapters. And a new world.) but I still need to query it to get it rejected.

So overall I'm disappointed, even though I otherwise did well this month. I need to prioritise better.

1. Edit one story and two micros. 2/3 + drafted a flash
2. Edit four chapters UF. 5/4
3. Make substantial progress on agent list. Some. Not enough :(
4. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited each day. Nope.
5. Read one book. 3/1
6. SS(es) Story. Drafted. Preliminary edits complete.
7. Create website.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Oops, we ran out of January.

That's how I feel, too :D

Right. I don't think I hit many of my goals this month.
  • Continue to work on getting writing in earlier in the day
  • Plan the revisions to my NaNo project
  • Binge watch: Daredevil, Jessica Jones
  • Buy/download a video game and actually play it
  • Work on shifting wake-up & go-to-sleep times

I didn't wind up playing the video game I'd intended, but whatever :)

So... yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.