To use a pen name or not?

Sammie

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm having a difficult time deciding if I want to use a pen name for publishing. I don't know why but I've been really reluctant as to whether I want to use a pen name or not. For one of my WIP (I haven't sent out yet I'm searching for betas and currently editing) I have some bits of my life used in the book, nothing though that is too much to the point that I would have to use a pen name. But I don't want people from the town I'm from blowing things out of proportion.

I'm Arab, and being Arab your subjected to the worst kind of torturous judgement from society (not exaggerating). Which encourages me to write under a pen name so as not only to save myself from judgement but from gossip as well. I also don't want my family to suffer from this as well.

Yet, I want to write under my name because I'm proud and I don't feel any shame or embarrassment whatsoever. I want to write under my name to show people I made something of my life, that I could not be confined by what society demanded of me.

I understand it's my choice and I also understand that any writer can be subjected to judgement but I just am not sure anymore. I want a solid decision before I attempt to query to agents.

Any suggestions/advice would be immensely appreciated!

Also one last thing, how do I go about picking a pen name if I choose to use one?

Last edited:

JLCarver

Registered
Reaction score
These days, it seems we're seeing a lot more pen names. I know of writers who use different pen names per genre. They start a series in one genre, say, sci-fi/fantasy, but then they decide they want to write some romance novels, so they use a pen name so their sci-fi/fantasy readers don't throw the book down and write nasty reviews. Some reader treat it like taking a sip of an iced coffee when you were expecting a Coke--it's an uncomfortable surprise and one they weren't ready for.

I don't know how to speak to the fear of shame, though, other than to say that I'm sorry you have to even deal with that question based on your cultural identity. I would love to live in a world where everyone could fearlessly live in and own their cultural, gender, and sexual identity, but that is, unfortunately and heartbreakingly, not the world we live in. I wish I could offer better guidance on that aspect of it other than to say, go with your gut. If your gut is telling you that what your writing will bring undue stress to your family, then maybe a pen name is a good idea. They're innocent in the matter of your writing, and it's understandable if you use a different name to keep them from the lime light.

But sometimes the fear of something is the very reason we face it: that is to say, if this question is only coming from a fear that some people might scrutinize you more for your cultural identity, then maybe you should use your own name. Think about the people who might actually want to hear a story from someone who is of your culture. There are people out there who long for and value the Arab voice in their literature. Maybe your Arab voice will help a young person deal with an issue they're facing in their own life, and the power of your Arab name as the one behind your story will cause them to feel less alone. That's who you are writing for. They are your audience and not those people who would dismiss your voice simply because of your cultural heritage. Think of Richard Wright who wrote Native Son, published in the 1940s. It's a book written by a black man about a black man living in a time of extreme racial prejudice in America. Richard Wright is a black man who is often credited with opening up a lot of doors in the conversation on racial inequality in America. What would that conversation look like today if Richard Wright had not owned his identity?

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Pen names are very useful for people who write books in more than one genre: they help separate their books. But they are not a reliable way to prevent other people from discovering the true identity of a book's author.

If you're hoping you can prevent people in your locality from knowing you're the author behind your book, then be careful. Because while it might work, it also might not. If it's important to you that your neighbours don't know you wrote the book then don't publish it.

AJLucas

Registered
Reaction score
I will use a pen name because 1. the first book i hope to publish is about a male lead and i am female so I rather have a gender neutral name. 2. My real name is very common and boring. Ashley Smith, isn't exactly unique or memorable. The pen name i want to use for now. is a play on my name and my kids names. AJ Lucas. A for Ashley. J for my son Joshua and Lucas for my other son Lucas. I need a name i can always identify with. I can certainly identify with my kids names.

I think you should be proud of who you are and if you do pick a pen name pick a name that you still identify with. I wouldnt suggest you go with Bob Wilson if you are Arab. But if you insist on changing it, maybe pick an arab name that is more versatile? Like Ali or something. Its unfortunate that you feel you will be judge. Some people suck.