TSA curtailing opt-out option

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
That TSA has updated its screening procedure. Now, some travelers will be unable to opt-out of body scanning. Which travelers? The TSA won't say.

As usual, the TSA emphasizes privacy concerns, noting that personally identifiable information isn't stored. Of course, they still haven't addressed the possible health concerns related to millimeter wave scanning--probably because no one actually knows what those are.

My favorite part, however, is this:

ATR eliminates the need for remote imaging since it is a generic image that can be presented on a monitor connected to the AIT and co-located with the officer assisting the screened individual. The individual will undergo physical screening if the ATR alarms for the presence of an object.

Yes, the TSA would require some people--who want a physical screening--to use the scanner, which might then require that they undergo physical screening.

I'm a bit suspicious that enough people have been opting out of the scanners that the TSA wants to force the public to use them as a means of freeing up their agents a bit more. Physical screening takes more time then running people through a scanner.

This is a very frustrating development for me since I am an opt-out. I'm not likely to be profiled but if my suspicions are correct, it won't matter. TSA agents will use this update to keep anyone from opting out.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
Also relevant: trans bodies are no longer "anomalies" — they're "alarms". And instead of opting out to save the time of scanner-then-grope by skipping ahead to the groping, it's scanner-then-grope no matter what.

Apparently changing the notification to a word like "screen" was too much work. It doesn't do anything about trans people being targeted and humiliated by the process, but it at least the word would be a little more neutral.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Hey, T. S. A.
Who'd you scan and grope today?
What's this silly game you play?
Stripping our dignity away.
Leaving us with naught to say,
But "If we vote, you'll go away!"

What a silly game we play,
Watching our freedoms fly away.

Hey, Hey, Political Class
You can kiss my unscanned ass.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, yes, but using the word 'alarm' as frequently as possible keeps the tension high, thus justifying the whole thing.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
...and a massive LooneyTunesLand carved out of Maryland.

That more than compensates for the TSA and evil cops. I'm renewing my passport tomorrow!

They've got dick detection devices at Oz airports now, Ruf.
Is that what they are? I thought they were for catching salami smugglers.

We have Disneyland on both coasts...
Something to think about after I've been to Maryland and bought some flash salami.

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I'm thinking of having metal thread worked into my clothes. Sewn into messages:

"If you can read this you're too close."
"Will you respect me after?"
"Your Mom says hi."

(notice, no bomb jokes.)

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
All the more reason to get a Global Entry card which guarantees you are TSA Pre-Checked on all domestic flights.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
All the more reason to get a Global Entry card which guarantees you are TSA Pre-Checked on all domestic flights.

I've been avoiding pre-check on a matter of principle, but I may need to give in soon if I want to avoid being groped every time I fly.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I've been avoiding pre-check on a matter of principle, but I may need to give in soon if I want to avoid being groped every time I fly.

Pre-check isn't going to stop that; you can still be called over.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score

I love the convenience of Pre-Check. (I've been shunted into that line when the normal security line was too long.) I just can't justify the effort and expense since I fly infrequently. Opting-out of the scanner was a good compromise for me and I've never found the pat-down to be particularly invasive. I guess I'll see how my January trip goes and make a decision after that.

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
Since I look like your average, All-American Soccer Mom, I rarely raise any eyebrows at the start of my trip through TSA.
Since my luggage often contains interesting items (I am an adult sexuality educator), I raise a lot of eyebrows as they scan my bags.
I'm almost guaranteed to have my bags, and me, pulled aside. I get to stand there while the TSA guys sort through my things and ask questions.

I also have metal in my wrist, sufficient to cause anomalies on the scanner, and sometimes (though less often) the metal detector. I'm pretty much guaranteed a pat down. Even if I carry a medical card explaining the situation - I'm still getting a pat down.

I try to remain polite - they are doing their jobs. It's not their fault the rules are stupid. I answer questions simply, honestly, and without too much sarcasm.

I've only once had to ask for a supervisor - when an agent going through my bags was being rude jerk. I've never missed a flight because of hold ups (but I always arrive early). I've never been inappropriately groped.

For the most part, I've found a polite attitude, a degree of "I know you're just doing your job and I'm not going to complain about that to you", and a light heart get me through even the most annoying of TSA situations without too much trouble.

I have, however, watched as friends, coworkers, relatives, and even my husband, were treated very differently.

Frankly, though, my worst airport security experience was not at the hands of the TSA, it was in Canada... but that's a different story...

Bottom line, I don't think they've proven these methods are actually effective at stopping terrorism or violence. And they're highly likely to continue to push for more invasive and intrusive screening in the name of "increased security" - whether it's effective or not.

Until other options present themselves, we're sort of stuck dealing with it...

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
We don't need other options to reject the current ones.

I'd rather take my chances with the metal detectors.

I would as well, but in many airports, they're no longer using them.

As far as I know, you have always been able to request to bypass the scanner - but that does mean a longer wait, and the whole pat down routine.
If TSA is now saying agents can refuse to allow this option at their discretion (the document is unclear), this could cause some serious issues.

Unless there is clear documentation providing under what circumstances a traveler must undergo screening rather than a pat down, it leaves a whole open to interpretation.

And yes, we can reject the current option - by not flying.
Unfortunately, that is not always a viable option.
Businesses are not very forgiving of taking days to go from one coast to the other. Nor are they very understanding of taking weeks to cross the ocean when traveling between the US and Europe or Japan.
Leisure travel is a slightly different set of problems... When the average person has only two to four weeks of vacation each year...

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I meant reject it by public outcry, pressuring politicians, etc., and letting them know their current practices are not acceptable.
That ship sailed long ago, when FedGov first nationalized aircraft security and people lined up in droves to do as they were told. This is just a logical and long-anticipated escalation of the security theatre that teaches people to do as they're told, or else. Does anybody still believe this is about keeping people safe? There have been hundreds of TSA employees arrested for crimes from theft to abuse of the scanning systems and reports of failures to detect weapons in the 90+% range. How many terrorists have they busted?

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
Vote Trump. I hear his policy is to not allow Muslims on planes. That will solve all our problems, right?

...right?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Has Trump even ever mentioned airlines or anything connected? He's got his own little fleet of actual jumbo jets; I'm not confident he's aware of the options other people employ.