Better hurry, kids: Tor.com closing to unsolicited subs Jan. 7

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dunno. The 600-plus-day stuff is on their remaining short-fiction slush pile from when they were still open to plebes like me. :Shrug: I'd like to hope they aren't that abusive to agented submissions??

Vicent

Registered
Reaction score
I see that Strange Horizons opened again today for submissions, Tazlima. Don't know if they're an appropriate market for your story, but worth a shot?

So, being by and large ignorant of tor.com's corpus of writing, can I ask what is strange horizons? As in a comprehensive explanation that makes more sense than a fool's errand search across the internet hounding down minutiae.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
That's not too far outside of the normal time frame. Tor *is* the big dog in English-speaking SFF. They get large numbers of agented mms. They claim to be more efficient with slush now.

Plus, there's the time involved in revise & resubmit, either by agent or editor request. That can take a couple of years by itself.

Part of the problem with getting through the slushpile and *then* finding an agent: many agencies won't touch deals they didn't shepherd from the start.

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
After a grand total of 749 days, I finally got my rejection. But I'm glad I waited, because it was actually a personal rejection! With good notes!

"This is an enjoyably bizarre monster/first contact story with a good twist, and it even enchanted one reader who doesn't normally like SF horror"

*squee*

It ultimately got rejected because there are "missed opportunities for more suspense and rising tension" but the rejection was "reluctant" so all things considered, not too bad. I'm gonna have to give it a closer look and see where I can improve the tension and suspense and maybe get this somewhere. It feels like I got close!

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
What great feedback, Maggie. Congrats and good luck with the ms going forward.

(gee, 749 days!!)