Better hurry, kids: Tor.com closing to unsolicited subs Jan. 7

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Wasn't aware that they'd changed their pay rates (goes looking).

Used to be (from memory) 25 cents a word for the first 5k words, and still high for everything after that.

Now I believe they say 5 cents a word? But maybe that's for novellas. Moot now for short stories, once this last sub of mine gets the boot.

MisterV

Banned
Reaction score
Dang. I didn't even realize they need unsolicited shorts. But I didn't even have any short fantasies - mostly sci-fi shorts. But I usually wear pants instead, anyways.

And it doesn't really seem like short stories are good for fantasy, anyways. Most good fantasy stories have a ton of world building to get you see something completely new. If not, it tends to be something building off what other people have written - maybe D&D fan fiction sort of thing.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And it doesn't really seem like short stories are good for fantasy, anyways. Most good fantasy stories have a ton of world building to get you see something completely new. If not, it tends to be something building off what other people have written - maybe D&D fan fiction sort of thing.

:Jaw:

Get reading a fantasy anthology. NOW.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Dang. I didn't even realize they need unsolicited shorts. But I didn't even have any short fantasies - mostly sci-fi shorts. But I usually wear pants instead, anyways.

You need to read more current SFF short fiction, then.

There are vibrant SFF story markets that do focus on under 15K words. I'm not going to list them, though. 1) I realized I can't write short SFF to save my life, and I've stopped querying what I have. 2) The great markets (and editors) know the delicate balance between evocative worldbuilding and infodumps. They're not the place for 'D&D fan fiction'. That's over on Wattpad, FF.net,or Archive of Our Own.

Last edited:

MisterV

Banned
Reaction score
:Jaw:

Get reading a fantasy anthology. NOW.

LOL, all right.

You need to read more current SFF short fiction, then.

There are vibrant SFF story markets that do focus on under 15K words. I'm not going to list them, though. 1) I realized I can't write short SFF to save my life, and I've stopped querying what I have. 2) The great markets (and editors) know the delicate balance between evocative worldbuilding and infodumps. They're not the place for 'D&D fan fiction'. That's over on Wattpad, FF.net,or Archive of Our Own.

I'm still trying to figure out how to write shorts. I have several in the submission basket right now, but so far no good. It feels ike there's just too much competition, and so my mostly sub-par writing skills stand over the top of my (I think) great ideas and bash them over the head.

deafblindmute

Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to publish short fiction. I'm waiting on a lot of stuff. I actually sent in a fantasy novella to Tor just recently during their open period. I'm waiting back. Nervous, but even more nervous what I should do with the novella if it gets rejected.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Got my rejection today. Lol, that officially beats my previous record for what turned out to ultimately be a rejection by two months!

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I noticed there were starting to be rejections close to our submission dates. One way or another, it's almost over. Sorry, Taz.

Eh, it's all part of writing. I'll just have to write something better and try again. Good luck to the rest of you!

Last edited:

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Taz! I see that I hit 400 days today, so yeah, I'm expecting my rejection ANY DAY NOW (code words for "probably 2-3 more months")... :Sun:

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see that Strange Horizons opened again today for submissions, Tazlima. Don't know if they're an appropriate market for your story, but worth a shot?

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My poor neglected little sub reached 461 days today.

And today I saw a 461-day rejection reported on the Grinder...

Slowest. Motion. Trainwreck. Ever. :evil

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else still hanging in there with a submission made prior to Tor's closing to open subs? Tomorrow I hit 600 days, which is rather silly really...

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
600 today for me. Nothing new on Tor.com's Grinder page recently except something accepted Aug 4th. There are still 14 pending responses (technically 17, but three of those are recent subs?) At this point, it's like "Just tell us no. Let our stories go." I'm ready to actually do something with this one.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think 14 "old-timers" sounds right. And I suppose there are other submissions not registered with the Grinder.

I'm content to let mine ride a bit longer, though I wish their process had more transparency. Hopefully it's at least past the initial, "Is it complete nonsense written in crayon?" filter. :tongue But is someone still considering it, or has it gotten wedged & forgotten in the submission pipes?

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I guess I've reached the end of my patience. Sent them an email asking to withdraw the submission. 639 days is more than enough time to've made up their minds.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Aw, sorry to lose you. I'm gonna keep holding out myself. They're still occasionally responding. There was one two weeks ago. I know it's probably the sunk cost fallacy and if I hear at all, it'll be a form rejection, but at least I'll have it. If I back out now, I'll never really know.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to you, Maggie! I finally decided I’d rather take my chances elsewhere, but I’m happy to reduce your competition. :Hug2:

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I really doubt they’ll form you out. The last rejection I got from them came after a long wait (albeit, not nearly this long), but it was personal and included the complimentary things several of their readers had said about the story, which was lovely and encouraging.

My guess is, if you’ve lasted this long, at least some people there really like what you wrote, and they’ll say so even if they reject it.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Due to the average and max days waiting, I suspect it's more they haven't gotten to the end of the pile yet, and I'm assuming form because the last person with 600+ days got a form. But thanks for the faith in me. :) Good luck with wherever you seek a new home for your piece.