Who Else Loves Early American Screenplays Like 12 Years A Slave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Then consider this,
No matter what you create somebody is going to extend themselves to hate it and hate you too.
Imagine spending years refining your plot and dialogue and then after selling it, having some critic whose kids are keeping him up at nights, tell all of America how rotten and undeserving your precious baby is.

Best not to do anything at all then.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Then consider this,
No matter what you create somebody is going to extend themselves to hate it and hate you too.
Imagine spending years refining your plot and dialogue and then after selling it, having some critic whose kids are keeping him up at nights, tell all of America how rotten and undeserving your precious baby is.

Writing ins't a precious baby; it's a commodity.

Errant Lobe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Writing ins't a precious baby; it's a commodity.

One way of looking at it. But, I would volunteer that that is more true of novels.
When it comes to screenplays, are we not playing in another league?

I could be wrong cornflake, but it is just that I was always suspicious that creators become more emotionally invested in their screenplays. Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
One way of looking at it. But, I would volunteer that that is more true of novels.
When it comes to screenplays, are we not playing in another league?

No? Even more of a commodity w/re screenplays. A screenplay, of any type, written by a single person, is astonishingly rare and that person is usually one of great power. Otherwise, if you're very, very lucky, and someone wants to buy your screenplay to develop, Carrie Fisher will also write it. If you're usual, six guys you've never heard of will also write it.

Errant Lobe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
No need to worry, I will be writing the pieces and filing them.

You know something cornflake, there is hope for me yet. Didn't zoombie, sell Ash to the small screen.
I still can't believe he actually managed it. Who does he know?

Last edited:

Errant Lobe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Lol! Carrie Fisher!
Look at the pedigree.
Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher as her parents. As they say, talent will out.
After Star Wars, Carrie Fisher certainly witnessed her talent coming out, but the problem is, according to what I have heard, it never came back.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing about her acting, or roles, not her writing.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
...just...stopping in here to say I am both not a screen writer and also not affiliated with Ash vs. The Evil Dead.

InBloom

Registered
Reaction score
It might not be practical to ONLY write screenplays if you're sure you can't sell them. On the other hand, I wouldn't totally give up on them just because they might not make you money. We all do plenty of things that will never be monetized but still give us joy.

Errant Lobe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
In what way?

Like cornflake said, about her roles and her acting.
1. They said she wasn't beautiful enough to lead in such an epic fantasy franchise.
I didn't feel that way for the universe can have any definition of what beauty is.
2. They thought her emotional range to be limited.
Personally, I feel that a lot of critics' standards are arbitrary.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Like cornflake said, about her roles and her acting.
1. They said she wasn't beautiful enough to lead in such an epic fantasy franchise.
I didn't feel that way for the universe can have any definition of what beauty is.
2. They thought her emotional range to be limited.
Personally, I feel that a lot of critics' standards are arbitrary.

But . . . but . . . according to the newest movie, she changed her hairstyle. Maybe that was the problem.

caw

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Ebert in particular didn't judge actresses so much by his brain as by his groin. He'd often rave about the non-existent talents of women who did meet his definition of "pretty enough".

Fisher's acting was appropriate for Star Wars - in fact, it was a lot less jarring than Natalie Portman's, even though Portman has plenty of genuine acting cred. As Harrison Ford said, "You can write this stuff, George, but you sure can't say it." She created a Leia that was memorable and, for the time, very surprising.

I don't think acting was Fisher's real love, or at least she didn't have the patience with the sort of nonsense an actress has to put up with to be one.

Status
Not open for further replies.