I strings

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoirSuede

Running gags aren't for me
Registered
Reaction score
In a single paragraph, how many I's can there generally be before it's considered too much ?

Violeta

All I Ever Wanted Was The World
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose the limit's when you start getting annoyed.
The moment you realize the "one" too many, that's when it's too much.

InBloom

Registered
Reaction score
If you're noticing the "I's", it's probably too many. You don't want to drag the reader out of the story and one way to do that is to get them thinking about the actual writing process instead of the characters, setting, plot, etc.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's no number, but when you realize there's a lot of I in there, it's time to seek filtering and kill it, as well as finding ways to rephrase your content.

Maryn, sometimes too much with the I

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Only one is needed to orientate the reader.

Then it's a question of technique and varying sentence structure so the 'I' s do not intrude when used.

I this and I that and I this and I that can become boring and tedious very quickly.

Read First person novels to see how others overcome the issue.

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
If you or other readers think there are too many then there are too many. If no-one notices, then there aren't too many.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
It's true that when you notice the I's, you probably have too many. But in first person, way more than you might think can exist without drawing too much attention to themselves, especially at the start. Here's the opening of Jim Butcher's Storm Front:

My name is a Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Conjure by it at your own risk. I'm a wizard. I work out of an office in midtown Chicago. As far as I know, I'm the only openly practicing professional wizard in the country. You can find me in the yellow pages, under "Wizards." Believe it or not, I'm the only one there.

Dresden is talking about himself, so you get more first person pronouns. After the start, events get rolling and the MC is more likely to have some external event in the sentence's subject slot.

JLCarver

Registered
Reaction score
Chuck Palahniuk suggests "submerging" the I by speaking in the first person voice, but hide the "I." He says,

You can write in the first person, but nobody wants to hear a story told that way. We’re too ready for a first-person story to be boasting and bragging. A hero story. Nobody wants to hear that crap. So the moment we see that “I” on the page, we recoil. It bumps us out of the fictional dream – the same way a self-absorbed person irritates you. It’s always: I I I, me me me.

He goes on to talk about the strengths of the first-person narrator versus the third-person, about the level of authority that readers enjoy in a first person story, even as they subconsciously recoil from the use of "I."

So he suggests this:

Consider writing in the first person, but after your first draft – take out as many I’s as possible. Or hide them. Change them to “mine” or “me” or “my.” Or switch to the rhetorical second person or even third person. Just get rid of those I’s. My personal demon is any story that starts with “I.” That instantly turns off my attention. But that’s just me.
Keep that camera pointed away from yourself for as long as possible.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Chuck Palahniuk suggests "submerging" the I by speaking in the first person voice, but hide the "I." He says,

He goes on to talk about the strengths of the first-person narrator versus the third-person, about the level of authority that readers enjoy in a first person story, even as they subconsciously recoil from the use of "I."

So he suggests this:

"I" can certainly be overused, just as any word can be, but to say readers recoil at seeing I on the page is complete BS, based on nothing but a lack of knowledge. Readers not only do not recoil at seeing "I", most love seeing it. It's the very thing that makes first person so powerful. Overuse of any word is bad, but, this is the only problem with "I". Using it is good, and without it there would be no reason at all to wirte in first person. Really strange thing for a writer to say.

JLCarver

Registered
Reaction score
"I" can certainly be overused, just as any word can be, but to say readers recoil at seeing I on the page is complete BS, based on nothing but a lack of knowledge. Readers not only do not recoil at seeing "I", most love seeing it. It's the very thing that makes first person so powerful. Overuse of any word is bad, but, this is the only problem with "I". Using it is good, and without it there would be no reason at all to wirte in first person. Really strange thing for a writer to say.

"Recoil" was Chuck Palahniuk's word said in relation to his assertion that readers see the "I" as bragging. I'll give context to the word again in Chuck's own words:

"The theory is, you can write in the first person, but nobody wants to hear a story told that way. We’re too ready for a first-person story to be boasting and bragging. A hero story. Nobody wants to hear that crap. So the moment we see that “I” on the page, we recoil. It bumps us out of the fictional dream – the same way a self-absorbed person irritates you. It’s always: I I I, me me me."

I think he would agree with you that overuse is bad. And that's his point. In the original essay, he even goes on to explain why the "I" is such a good choice in a story: You can employ honesty in the narrator; the story is better "grounded" in the narrator's world; and first person lets the reader "become" the character.

Here's his full essay, along with his short story "Guts" that uses the first-person narrator (thought be warned: "Guts" isn't for the faint of heart): http://captainkristiane.tumblr.com/post/20668965702/httplitreactorcomessayschuck-palahniuksubmerging

Status
Not open for further replies.