Kind Benefactor
Reaction score

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Love it. Love the glib echo in some of the language, love the way the formatted shape mirrors waves, and the ending is killer.

Very cool, Cass.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Share & share - I like! and also love the motion and the mood of this! Looking future forward to its progress!

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I've read the three you've posted so far and love them. You know I am a big fan of this mythology. Your telling of it is fresh and feels good.

Loving this.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Thank you so much for reading, Mag and Trish.

Trish, I thought of you when I posted this -- I know you share my love of weaving mythology into poems. I went back and reread your No Quarter and Uncharted in Dark Waters this morning; working on this made me think of them. (This poem, too, will make its way to the underworld and venture into dark uncharted waters.)

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i very much look forward to watching this unfold. your range may sneak up on people over time reading your poems individually and sporadically. i think it will be brilliant to see it in an immediate body of work.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Thank you so much, William.

Your example is so inspiring (if intimidating). My poem will be quite different from yours, but just so you know, I've gone back to reread Thorn Forest about a hundred times to analyze what made your work so compelling. I'm first in line to buy your book when it comes out -- I would llke to have it in print and not just on the screen.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Thank you so much for reading, B.D. Next installment soon, I hope.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd leave "cotton candy castle" as is. "Candy castle" alone doesn't have sufficient fluff and also harshens the rhythm.

Love the phrase "surf's lush percussion." And a lot else here. Thanks for sharing this, Cass.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Thanks so much for reading, Kyla. And yes, I think you're right on the cotton candy. It was my first impulse, and I think the better one.

It's funny -- the second I post something, no matter how carefully I considered every word/format etc. choice, I have a little mini freak out and everything looks all wrong. Alas, I think this is part of my creative process.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's funny -- the second I post something, no matter how carefully I considered every word/format etc. choice, I have a little mini freak out and everything looks all wrong. Alas, I think this is part of my creative process.
Oh yes, and it fails to even approach the vision I had for it, and is terribly clumsy, I can see now all the things I should surely have done differently....

Yep. I have that one too. :)

I just tell myself, "there, there" and go on about things, and it passes. Temporarily.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Part III added.

I am so far keeping my New Year's resolution to work on a poem every day.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Read and appreciated. This one cuts pretty close to the bone. (I've been on both sides of it, ouch!)

Looking forward to part four.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And read. Hmm! No hero he, hey? Sneaky!

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Virgil didn't like Odysseus nearly as much as Homer did.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
It's really quite wonderful.

When I was 20 I traveled through Europe, and ended up on the island of Naxos in Greece. I have no idea what it's like today, but back then you could freely wander down to the edge of the island where the rocks jutted out into the sea, and rest amidst the ruins of an ancient temple which sat right by the water. Few people were ever there, certainly no tourists, and if you went down there at night there was never a soul.

I used to sit there alone at night underneath the Mediterranean sky next to that wine dark sea and listen to the waves lapping at the base of the ruins. I was overcome by the weight of centuries, overcome with an emotion that I can't quite describe or put my finger on, only that it was deep and powerfully mystical. If only I were a poet, perhaps I could capture some of that in words.

Alas, I am not.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Thank you so much, rugcat.

I went to Greece a few years ago. It was amazing. I was so glad I went off-season -- more than once I enjoyed having ruins or a vista all to myself. You feel the history so much more when you don't have to share with hordes of velour-covered tourists.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Just a shout out to the vividity of your imagery and the really lovely rhythm & rhyme - and I'm also appreciating the visual words as they tumble and almost seem to move down the page (! at times) and now this latest, (The Battle Begun), is it just me, or do the stanzas crumple into a fist??

and stole
.....past the guards
..........in the guise
...............of a gift.

I'm enjoying the tale's unfolding - so thanks! looking forward to more!!

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Thank you so much, Trish!

ETA:

I just added Part V.

Status
Not open for further replies.