• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Kirkus Reviews / Kirkus Indie (formerly Kirkus Discoveries)

Doc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kirkus now offers a review service for e-books. The price is staggeringly high and the resulting review is a short slapdash few paragraphs. I, in my naivete, purchased a review. Because of many errors regarding events in the narrative, I believe, if the reviewer actually read the book, it was at a scan level.. I complained. Kirkus promised a full review of my complaint including a new look at the novel. Three days later ( pretty short look) I received a refusal to correct errors or offer any change or recompense Their argument is a review is subjective and the reviewer's opinion rules the day. Previous to Kirkus, I have had very good reviews from both readers and professional reviewers for this novel, THROUGH THE DARK DOOR OF TIME, SAN DIEGO 1867.
I believe that a Kirkus review is well worth the price for traditionally published books. But e-book writers BEWARE. My experience, including e-mail exchanges with the company, tell me that e-book reviews are purely and simply a cash cow for Kirkus.

I would like to hear from any AWers with Kirkus e-book experience, agreeing with me or opposed.

Doc

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I believe that a Kirkus review is well worth the price for traditionally published books.

The Kirkus reviews for trade published books is not a paid service. The regular ol' Kirkus is just a review site (used to be a print publication) that publishes a selection of reviews of their choosing.

They have, in the last few years, run a parallel, paid service for self-published books.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Kirkus now offers a review service for e-books. The price is staggeringly high and the resulting review is a short slapdash few paragraphs. I, in my naivete, purchased a review. Because of many errors regarding events in the narrative, I believe, if the reviewer actually read the book, it was at a scan level.. I complained. Kirkus promised a full review of my complaint including a new look at the novel. Three days later ( pretty short look) I received a refusal to correct errors or offer any change or recompense Their argument is a review is subjective and the reviewer's opinion rules the day. Previous to Kirkus, I have had very good reviews from both readers and professional reviewers for this novel, THROUGH THE DARK DOOR OF TIME, SAN DIEGO 1867.
I believe that a Kirkus review is well worth the price for traditionally published books. But e-book writers BEWARE. My experience, including e-mail exchanges with the company, tell me that e-book reviews are purely and simply a cash cow for Kirkus.

I would like to hear from any AWers with Kirkus e-book experience, agreeing with me or opposed.

Doc

Kirkus reviews are fine, and well-respected. They, like certain other well-known reviewers, offers a paid review service that's not really either of those things. Paid reviews usually turn out that way - sorry.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives .... *shakes cane at clouds*

Last edited:
Reactions: Perks

bibleinterpreter

Registered
Reaction score

Doc
I also wonder why this company would keep changing names.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can you please stop bringing dead threads back to life? This one last had input in 2015, and your post didn’t provide new information. Don’t worry about being in trouble, but we’d greatly appreciate no more necro-ing oh dead threads.

Reactions: Brigid Barry