The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Kirkus Reviews / Kirkus Indie (formerly Kirkus Discoveries)

Benefactor Member

Kirkus Reviews / Kirkus Indie (formerly Kirkus Discoveries)

Kirkus now offers a review service for e-books. The price is staggeringly high and the resulting review is a short slapdash few paragraphs. I, in my naivete, purchased a review. Because of many errors regarding events in the narrative, I believe, if the reviewer actually read the book, it was at a scan level.. I complained. Kirkus promised a full review of my complaint including a new look at the novel. Three days later ( pretty short look) I received a refusal to correct errors or offer any change or recompense Their argument is a review is subjective and the reviewer's opinion rules the day. Previous to Kirkus, I have had very good reviews from both readers and professional reviewers for this novel, THROUGH THE DARK DOOR OF TIME, SAN DIEGO 1867.
    I believe that a Kirkus review is well worth the price for traditionally published books. But e-book writers BEWARE. My experience, including e-mail exchanges with the company, tell me that e-book reviews are purely and simply a cash cow for Kirkus.

I would like to hear from any AWers with Kirkus e-book experience, agreeing with me or opposed.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I believe that a Kirkus review is well worth the price for traditionally published books.
    The Kirkus reviews for trade published books is not a paid service. The regular ol' Kirkus is just a review site (used to be a print publication) that publishes a selection of reviews of their choosing.

They have, in the last few years, run a parallel, paid service for self-published books.

practical experience, FTW cornflake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Kirkus now offers a review service for e-books. The price is staggeringly high and the resulting review is a short slapdash few paragraphs. I, in my naivete, purchased a review. Because of many errors regarding events in the narrative, I believe, if the reviewer actually read the book, it was at a scan level.. I complained. Kirkus promised a full review of my complaint including a new look at the novel. Three days later ( pretty short look) I received a refusal to correct errors or offer any change or recompense Their argument is a review is subjective and the reviewer's opinion rules the day. Previous to Kirkus, I have had very good reviews from both readers and professional reviewers for this novel, THROUGH THE DARK DOOR OF TIME, SAN DIEGO 1867.
    I believe that a Kirkus review is well worth the price for traditionally published books. But e-book writers BEWARE. My experience, including e-mail exchanges with the company, tell me that e-book reviews are purely and simply a cash cow for Kirkus.

I would like to hear from any AWers with Kirkus e-book experience, agreeing with me or opposed.

Doc
    Kirkus reviews are fine, and well-respected. They, like certain other well-known reviewers, offers a paid review service that's not really either of those things. Paid reviews usually turn out that way - sorry.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Adding link: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/

Their pay-for-review program (launched 2005) began as Kirkus Discoveries and is now Kirkus Indie.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    Adding link: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/

Their pay-for-review program (launched 2005) began as Kirkus Discoveries and is now Kirkus Indie.
    Wow! Has it been that long?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives .... *shakes cane at clouds*
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 12-15-2015 at 12:50 AM. Reason: memory is the first to go
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: