I got my first rejection

Jeff C. Stevenson

Author of FORTNEY ROAD
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fortneyroad.com
Remember that the reason projects are rejected are like noses: Everyone has one and most are full of holes!

A rejection is simply one person's opinion and everyone has one and most are full of holes!

So maybe instead of calling it a rejection, think of it as that person's opinion is that it's not right for him/her. Then find someone who agrees with your opinion that your writing is dynamic and your still must be told--and it will be!
In my opinion, that is!:hooray:

odubhthaigh2207

Registered
Reaction score
This is the truth right here. Over the summer I decided to inoculate myself and sent my stories out to about 20 places each. I have something like 50 rejections in my inbox. Now rejection letters are meh.

Isn't that dangerous? I mean, I've heard that if you submit to multiple places at the same time, and two or more accept, you'll have to turn a couple down. That's suicide in the writing community!

CharlyT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.charlottehlee.com
Isn't that dangerous? I mean, I've heard that if you submit to multiple places at the same time, and two or more accept, you'll have to turn a couple down. That's suicide in the writing community!

Depends on the market - most literary magazines accept simultaneous submissions as long as you inform them that it is one. The SF and F pro markets don't, but many non-paying markets do. I don't know about other genre markets because I haven't written outside those markets yet.

I would hazard a guess that agents expect you to be querying several agents at a time, but I haven't started subbing my novel manuscript anywhere yet, so I could be out to lunch on that.

Reaction score
Depends on the market - most literary magazines accept simultaneous submissions as long as you inform them that it is one. The SF and F pro markets don't, but many non-paying markets do. I don't know about other genre markets because I haven't written outside those markets yet.

I would hazard a guess that agents expect you to be querying several agents at a time, but I haven't started subbing my novel manuscript anywhere yet, so I could be out to lunch on that.

If one is worried you can put a disclaimer in the letter.

odubhthaigh2207

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds reasonable. I do hope I hear from Analog soon. It's almost been four months - time to query.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations - you've got further than 95% of wannabe writers will ever get! Actually, the percentage of writers who never show their work to a professional is probably higher than 95%. I'm just guesstimating. Point is, you're a real, bona fide writer. Go you. :D

Fantomas

Registered
Reaction score
Same here. I just got rejected by two imprints of the Big Five. I know it's just the beginning but you can only feel disappointed that they passed on your work after being so enthusiastic. My main concern now is where my agent will submit next and if I should help research potential publishers to pitch to.

tuesday

Registered
Reaction score
This is my favorite post about rejection:
Hi. I'm Devil and I'm a reject. It has been 11 hours since my last rejection.

I am learning to live with rejection because rejection means I'm querying, and querying is something I avoided for a very long time. I've managed to double my number of rejections in just two weeks. I did that by increasing the number of queries I'd sent by six times.

Absolute Wisdom.