Opinions on these covers?

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on the second in my Carrie Hatchett Space Adventures series, and my cover artist has come up with some ideas based on the previous cover (my avatar) and aliens that Carrie encounters in the novel.

My problem is that I'm artistically challenged. I think they all look good and can't decide which to choose. I would love to get other opinions on these covers, especially on which you think is the most interesting/appealing.

Paragraphic

Word eater.
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh! Pretty! Beautiful covers! If I were to pick, I would go with the middle one. That's a gut reaction. I like the yellow/orange light and the colors of that one the most.

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh! Pretty! Beautiful covers! If I were to pick, I would go with the middle one. That's a gut reaction. I like the yellow/orange light and the colors of that one the most.

Thanks Paragraphic. That one's definitely got the prettiest colours. The series is a light-hearted space adventure. Do you think the cover fits that genre?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I don't think this looks lighthearted, no. Also I don't fully understand what the image is in the second two covers. But I think generally they all look quite professional and I love the use of colour!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I like number one because it's the most recognizable in form. I also think it fits with your first cover, as it appears on Amazon's page. Please take the following comments as an attempt to be helpfully honest, not needlessly nitpicky. I tried to include all the details I could.

No, they do not look lighthearted (#1 makes me think parasitic alien slug. The green haze coming from whatever celestial-style cloud is on the back cover makes it look like a disembodied being possessing the person on the cover.)

2 and 3 both look like a slug on psychedelic mushrooms, and there's an odd bleed-through in all three versions. It looks like a series of three small stars in a line, directly above the word "passage." because of they way they're positioned, in conjunction with the appearance of the greenish cloud-line above them, it makes the bottom two covers appear to be a mushroom with teeth and a nose. On the cover with the face, the same three stars are bleeding through, only they fall directly beneath her chin, making it look like her throat's been slashed, since they're set into a dark line there.

I definitely think the back cover looks better with the added cloud from the first cover.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Well. All three are definitely professional-looking, but I'm torn between 1 and 3. 1 makes more sense to the viewer for the head one can ground one's view in, whereas 3 has some more vague elements, but is less busy.

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. If the covers don't look light-hearted, what would be the best way to describe them?

Cyia, well spotted on the sets of three white spots. I'd already suggested to the artist that they be taken out. They're representing a menace that isn't revealed until late in the novel, but as they appear on the cover they're too vague to mean anything and making them more obvious would give away the reveal.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I can only really understand stand what is one the first one with a women's face and an insect pod element. If that suits the book, I would go with that one.

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Veinglory I think a few responses have mentioned the human face is an anchor for understanding the image, while the other images are too unrecognisable.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
It looks like very typical science fiction. Not quite hard SF, maybe akin to the Star Trek novels or some the SF YA novels that came about a few years ago (I'm thinking this series for example). I see a straight forward story set in space, some action, some politics, and a fair amount of interpersonal drama. If you are going for lighthearted you really should make that clear, because fans seeking their more typical SF won't like being surprised like that, and you'll miss out on the fans of comedy in their SF/Fantasy by them assuming this is the kind of book that doesn't have much of a sense of humour.

Last edited:

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
It looks like very typical science fiction. Not quite hard SF, maybe akin to the Star Trek novels or some the SF YA novels that came about a few years ago (I'm thinking this series for example). I see a straight forward story set in space, some action, some politics, and a fair amount of interpersonal drama. If you are going for lighthearted you really should make that clear, because fans seeking their more typical SF won't like being surprised like that, and you'll miss out on the fans of comedy in their SF/Fantasy by them assuming this is the kind of book that doesn't have much of a sense of humour.

Thanks, Toothpaste. This has been my quandary with the covers. Though there are humorous moments the books aren't comedies and the characters are (intended to be) realistic. I looked at Hitchhikers' Guide covers as a starting point, but their cartoon style is too comedic for the tone of the books. They're funny all the way through. My books aren't. I'm hoping the blurbs will help guide the readers because I haven't yet found a cover style that I felt was a spot-on match.

Of the three, I think the middle cover may be veering the most towards lighthearted?

Rebekkamaria

Pixie with dust, beware
Registered
Reaction score
I like the first one the most. All of them look professional, though. :)

Glass Valkyrie

Registered
Reaction score
I also will vote for the first one. IMO it looks the best and as some others have said, the most recognizable.

Altiv

Chasing the dragon...
Registered
Reaction score
I like the first cover better, even though they are all awesome covers. The head and the colors caught my attention, and would definitely make me want to grab this book and read the blurb. The other covers, while being awesome-looking, didn't evoke that same feeling to me, as a potential reader. They all look like covers a regular book would have.

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
Many thanks for all your replies. I'm still really torn to be honest. I think I may ask the artist to put the sluglike alien from cover 2 onto the head on cover 1.

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
In case anyone's wondering, I went with an amalgamation of covers in the end.

CDWRFfR.jpg

BeronikaKeres

what
Registered
Reaction score
I like the first one the best, but that's because I can quickly identify what I'm looking at without having to think too hard. It took me a good minute to realize I might be looking at a planet in the second two (is that correct?). I'm imagining holding up the first and second book beside one another, and I think the first image would look great for the sequel, as the second two options seem too similar to the first book (if that makes sense?). With the first options there is an immediate difference, as there is a person, and not another planet (?). Since the planet and green color placement is similar in the bottom two options as the first novel cover, I'd worry that someone would have their eye catch that without them taking a good look at it, and think it is the first installment. I hope that makes sense haha. You have a great cover artist though. Those are very professional! :D

Edit: I was typing before I saw your new post with what you chose! Good choice! Excited for you!

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the vote of confidence, guys. I spotted the artist had left the two sets of white dots in the neck but now he's removed them and I'm set to go with Passage to Paradise on preorder. :)