Last, But Not Least...THINGS I HATE ABOUT DECEMBER

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Besides the absolutely obscene commercialization of the true meaning of Christmas, not much really.

People are generally nicer, more positive and upbeat - More generous and considerate too.

Kids are excited and giddy with anticipation.

Soooooooooooo much good food and a ton of parties to attend.

Cold weather, bright lights, Christmas Carols and maybe even a dusting of snow on Christmas Eve?

What's not to Lurve? :Shrug:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Besides the absolutely obscene commercialization of the true meaning of Christmas, not much really.

People are generally nicer, more positive and upbeat - More generous and considerate too.

Kids are excited and giddy with anticipation.

Soooooooooooo much good food and a ton of parties to attend.

Cold weather, bright lights, Christmas Carols and maybe even a dusting of snow on Christmas Eve?

Cold weather

That. That's not to lurve. My body keeps heat like a sieve keeps water. If I'm not wearing two or three layers in front of a roaring fire or personal heater, I'm cold. Give me the summer sun.

The trees are finally losing their leaves, meaning soon I'm going to have nothing between my office view and the ugly hotel across the street.

But otherwise, I do enjoy December. I would just enjoy it more in the southern hemisphere.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
It's hard for me to say anything bad about December, yet it's the month both of my parents died. I feel, though, that it's a wonderful month for them to have passed from this life into the next.
And if winter's (almost) here, can spring be far behind.

I love Christmas carols. I love the warmth of the church in the evening (we go to the 4:30 mass on Saturdays). Even the usual grumps who refuse to give up their position at the end of the pew, at least smile at this time of year. The smell of evergreens and wax candles. The children's faces as they look in awe at the decorated trees.

This is becoming a book, so I'll stop.

:)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cold weather sets in for real, with no relief until March or April. There are quite a few things I thought would happen for me in 2015, but looks like they won't (shoot, I thought they'd happen in 2014, but still working for them and waiting for the results).

I do like a lot about December, though. The snow and cold is still fun, with skiing and snowshoeing and decorations. It's not gotten beastly like it's going to in January and February, so you can be out in it.

Oh, and all the indoor cooking experiments I get to try!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my god, December sucks! It's cold, gray, and gloomy out. You get to think about the great, warm, loving extended family you don't have. And it's so very long until the correct season when the pool water's just right, April 15 through September 15. Bah humbug!

BeronikaKeres

what
Registered
Reaction score
I dislike December/Christmas, mostly because once they start selling christmas stuff before it's even halloween I'm already sick of it.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Jingle Bells and Jingle Bell Rock.

Fortunately though, I now have a decent mobile phone with music and earphones. It'll be safe to go shopping this December.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I hate about December is the super 'spring'clean I need to give my home before the masses descend on us for Christmas. It's that annual move furniture, launder curtains, ceiling-to-floor-wall-to-wall kind of spring clean. Shampooing carpets really sucks and gives me terrible backache.

But all you northern people who are sick of the cold - c'mon down here. :Sun:The guest room will be super clean. :D

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The one thing I really hate about December is the Christmas music played in every store at way too high a volume.

Nowadays I also miss my family more than ever in December, because they live on the other side of the Atlantic, and we simply can not afford to visit.

Other than that I really love December.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
What's not to love about Dec? It's the rest of the winter that gets to me!
2a5ac66e5aa8452621373010ad8fa66c_zpsfkldghv8.jpg

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
1. Snow.
2. Fucking Snow.
3. Terrible shitty fucking bastard snow.
4. Christmas (the other bullshit consumer holiday)
5. SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jlmott

Hello, I must be going
Registered
Reaction score
There is much I love about December: the lights that people put up outside their houses this dark time of year making it so much cheerier when I walk the dog, how much better hot chocolate seems to taste, decorating the tree with silly ornaments (got to put on the magic pickle!). I even love bad Christmas songs and all those lame Rankin-Bass specials (Put one foot in front of the other and soon you'll be walking out the door-oor-oor!)

But here what I hate. The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (the Jim Carrey version, not the one with Boris Karloff as the narrator) and the five million times they show it on cable. I never watch it, but the thought that other people are watching it makes me want to break into their homes with a sock full of lard and whack them repeatedly about the head until they switch it to something, anything else.

My wife thinks I obsess about this a tad too much. Which is probably what she hates most about December.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
It can all be summed up as Mothereffing Christmas! The holiday that lies in wait at the end of the year and drives everyone, including me, insane. No one really recovers until January 1st. I'd boycott it, but since society at large probably won't stop celebrating it, so it'd be a pointless gesture. The way I see it, if I make it to December 25th without continually swearing under my breath or giving into my impulse to curb-stomp everybody, I deserve some kind of reward, preferably in the form of presents!

That and we have all these loud raucous get-togethers with my mom's family, which leaves me wondering, back in Cavemen days when all the relatives lived together under the same roof, was the leading cause of death in that era, murder or suicide? Again, why hasn't Hallmark created cards for isolated weirdos such as myself, cards that say, "I love you all and individually you are all nice people and I'd be very sad if something happened to any of you, but together you produce so much noise and energy I fight the urge to slam my head into a car door until it stops."

Yeah, I know I sound all angry and bitter and unpleasant, but this time of the year isn't the most wonderful time of the year if you're an isolated weirdo with mental health issues and little tolerance for people as is. That and the end of the year makes me start reviewing my failures doesn't help. The trouble is if you try to mention any of this to people, mention that there are moments when you're not a hundred percent happy, they look at you like you're some kind of mutant, the freakish kind, not the cool kind that can shoot lasers out your eyes and melt idiots.

That and there are some twelve Christmas songs and people just keep recording them over and over again. And I point the finger of blame at the Baby Boomers. As xkcd shows, most of the songs were composed/popular during the Baby Boomers' formative years, so the deluge of insipid lyrics we endure every year, is all your fault! Your fault for being such a massive, lucrative demographic, Baby Boomers!
http://www.xkcd.com/988/

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Who stole the rest of the year?

I would say heat, but I live in a cooler part of the country now and it won't get really hot until the new year (and that'll be true right up until the first day I'm looking to go to the shops purely because they're air-conditioned).

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Makes mental note to send Emermouse a Fruitcake*

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Traffic. So much traffic. When I need to shop this time of year, if I'm not out the door by like 8 .a.m. I'm just not going. Traffic on the roads, full parking lots, too many people in the stores.

Christmas music. Ex-retail, 'nuff said.

It's my birthday month, which sucks. When I was a kid it meant I got half as many presents (selfish yes, but I also don't understand why that's an acceptable practice). Now that I'm an adult it means extra bills on top of buying presents, plus the mild inconvenience of taking the car to the shop in a month that is both traditionally busy and usually with poor weather. And don't even get me started on town hall's crappy holiday hours; thank the gods for online renewals.

It's a great time for family but I don't get to see my friends pretty much at all this month; they're all busy driving all over creation to visit their own families. I've yet to successfully organize a holiday get-together that doesn't fall through at the last minute for some reason or other.

Cold season. Both weather and illness. I have no insurance right now and reallllly can't afford to get sick.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Christmas music--when it's good it's very very good but when it's bad it's downright awful. To wit:

Santa Baby

Dominic The Long Eared Donkey

Another Auld Lang Syne
(So much wtf with this one with the words. "I stole behind her in the frozen foods and I touched her on the sleeve.")