Dulciloquent December - 500 words/day or editing - all genres welcome

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So here we are at the 16th of December and that 90% is now 95%. Ugh.

The last 10% is the hardest. You will get there! :Hug2: :hooray:

So I rewrote a chapter today, and decided it doesn't make a bit of sense, so I outlined yet another iteration. It's a battle scene, and for whatever reason I don't seem to be able to get those until I've done them at least five times. Tomorrow: Battle Scene, Take 4.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
OSG - The ending is always a killer. Hugs.

Liz - Hugs. I've had to do that many, many times.

Well, still revising the first 24 pages. I think I'm done with them and can move on. I hope I can speed up some, or I'll never make it.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
... and there we go. That revision is 100% done.

Right, now to do another pass.

*sets counter back to zero*

*cries*

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
osg, awesome!! Liz, I have found that the hardest scenes to write, the ones that force you to rewrite again and again, end up being the strongest scenes. Saoirse, it will click eventually.

I got a note from an agent asking a question they would only ask if they had read at least half the book. Fingers crossed. Meanwhile I've had a crazy week at work and wrote next to nothing, but 600 words today on a new scene for Trust Me.

Last edited:

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Had my last early-morning writing session of 2015 this morning, at my usual Starbucks which was wonderfully quiet. I wish it was like that all year round!

I have started the rewrite of my amateur sleuth WIP, and starting to get my head around what needs to be fixed.

I don't suppose I shall get any more writing done now this side of Christmas, so I would like to wish all of my fellow scribes peace and happiness for the festive season. And of course I wish you many words. It can be hard to find time to write. Myself I have 10 days off the day job after tomorrow, and after the madness of Christmas Day is over I am looking forward to some quiet time at home, where I intend to get some writing done.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Merry Christmas to you as well, Shara, and to everyone here. I've got family over for almost the whole holiday, so I need to get all my writing done before the big day... I wonder if anyone would notice me writing in the office? Hardly anyone around today!

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Me too, Saoirse. Thankfully it is just a half-day in the office, and it'll probably be even emptier than today.

Well, thanks to comprehensive sleep deprivation, I've got just one item left on my editing to-do list before I send out to betas. Of course, this item would be a review of every sentence in the manuscript that includes "was" or "were" as I have a problem with overusing a particular construction. So that won't take long at all :Headbang:.

Will I get it done before Christmas? Will I go mad from wassing and wereing? What is this thing called sleep? Is anything I've written in the past month actually language or is it just a tangle of alphabet spaghetti? :flag:

... I think it is time for bed...

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
It's just shy of 11pm on Christmas Eve... and it's done. For the record, I reviewed over 2,000 instances of "was" and nearly 500 instances of "were". Bleh. Definitely one of those cases where the words stop meaning anything and start looking weird.

Given the hours I've been putting in at work, I'm proud of what I've gotten done in the past couple of weeks. I am now going to sleep for the entire Christmas break.

Here's to a good Christmas for you all and a happy and productive new year. :)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
*checks the date of my last post* Oops.

Well, I settled my battle scene. It's entirely different, and I think MUCH better, but we'll see what I get for feedback.

I've got another 12 chapters I want to review, and then I'm just waiting for feedback from The Editors. I should get cracking on Book 3, but I'm reading a beta that is marvelous, and it's much more fun reading that. :)

Well done, everybody! You guys are amazing. :) :e2cheer:

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Always great to see them words getting written :hooray:

Finals + Christmas festivities/stress = zero motivation for anything other than stuffing my face with whatever chocolate is nearest, so haven't done anything writing wise this month at all. But I do have two interviews for my blog next month lined up so aiming to hopefully get some rough questions thought up and written down so that I don't leave it to the last minute (this is a very bad tendency of mine in life in general) and make a complete fool of myself in front of two artists who I absolutely admire - that will probably still happen to an extent, I'll never be the greatest at social interactions, ever ;)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Best of luck with the interviews, IAM! And I suspect you're your own worst critic, and won't seem foolish at all to anyone else.

I have produced 730 Book 3 words that are a partial rewrite of a scene I've already written. Which means I am falling further and further behind every day. Argh. 2016 is going to mean some major realignments, I think, because stress sucks.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Yes, good luck, IAM!

Liz - Hugs. Stress does suck.

I'm on page 58 on the revision and in the middle of a problem scene that I've been avoiding. It's going down tonight, for better or worse!

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I haven't actually worked on those questions the past few days XD but I have been tinkering with a scene instead and got a couple of hundred words done :hooray:

Happy new year to all when it comes! Hope 2016 is kind to you!