The 2015-2016 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi/Fantasy Story Swap

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
trumpeter_zpsjv1othwy.jpg

Hear ye, Hear ye!

With this, the First of December, we face the dawn of another season of writer-based joy and wonderment. That’s right, gang, we are once again at the threshold of the single greatest event in all of human history*! Break out your prompts, refill your inkwells, and brush the dust off your keyboards because it’s time once again for....

THE FOURTH ANNUAL SEKRIT SOLSTICE SCI-FI/FANTASY STORY SWAP!

giphy_zpsmilkrmsw.gif

I feel like this every SS-SFF-SS kickoff thread.

For those who have not participated in the SS-SFF-SS in the past, this is a writer-focused word party wherein folks gift stories to their fellow authors based on prompts provided by the giftee. If you want an idea of the general madness involved, feel free to review last year's SS-SFF-SS Thread.

That said, because NaNo just finished and the holidays are soon upon some of us, we decided to give folks enough time to rest before jumping back into the story-making process. As such, we're aiming for a more realistic and less stressful delivery date of FEBRUARY 29th. This ensures that folks don’t feel pressure to write during the holiday season AND have enough time to get their stories to betas as needed.

So what exactly is the SS-SFF-SS you may ask? Essentially, it’s a 10-ish week write-a-thon filled with joy, merriment, words, wine, and other government-sanctioned and emotionally reasonable celebrations.

Basically, the gist of the event is this:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-19269-1381439343-6_zps3279d370.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-794-1381512597-5_zps3742c7d6.gif

Game-show-reactiongif_cfgetximgrx250img_zps8d7890cf.gif

excited-child_zps68973b56.gif

152ou90_zpsa492ab92.gif

giphy_zpsa8cb7adf.gif

Not this:

Dramatic_cat.gif

Reaction_ItalianSpiderman.gif

tumblr_m8i59rFqy51rxlmf0o1_250_zpsrvef19en.gif

200_zpspu415ntn.gif

tumblr_noj3lf1eTx1tlb56zo1_400_zps4bwdngxl.gif

Head-slide-dirty-looks-1.gif

In other words, we prompt, we write, we trade stories, we guess, we share the joy of the event, and we create life-long bonds with our fellow writers.

So, if this sounds like your kind of literary playground, then here are the rules and such.

The Rules and Such:

RULE #1) HOW TO PLAY:
There are two primary ways of participating: RECEIVING and GIVING. (See Rule #6 for The Beta Option.)

Signing up to RECEIVE a gift means signing up to GIVE a gift. No exceptions. Since the spirit of this event is giving, you ask for treasures, you have to give treasures. To do so, you’ll make a post with what you want to read as well as what you’re willing to write. I will then put the names of participants in The Sign-Up List of AWesome** which is located at the bottom of this post.

RULE #2) PROMPT PARAMETERS:
When you sign up to RECEIVE, please include a prompt that provides parameters for your gift. This can be anything: a word, a quote, an author name, an idea, a theme, etc. Just give your gifter a direction in which to run.

Also, please specify themes/topics that you are okay with/not-okay with, i.e. boo to violence, sex, swearing, gore; yah to kittens, marshmallows, and smexy emo teen vampires.

Unless otherwise specified, the person writing for you will assume all bets are off.

tumblr_inline_mmpmw5wRFf1qz4rgp_zpsgdtgtu7d.gif

mwahahaha

Example
:
Queen Novella Von InkyQuill said:
Golly, CM, this sounds like the greatest single event in course of all human history! Of COURSE I’ll participate. Sign me up to both give and receive.

Prompt: I'd like a light, humorous Sci-Fi-Fant-UF-Western-Zombie-Erotica-Self-Help story, please. Nothing dark or with gratuitous violence/smexy times. Kittens a plus.

I am willing to write anything, even smexy emo teen vampires***.

While the above is a joke, please keep in mind that broad/vague prompts tend to give your gifter more latitude. HOWEVER,
it's your prompt, so if you really WANT a light, humorous Sci-Fi-Fant-UF-Western-Zombie-Erotica-Self-Help story, by all means, ask for it!

Also, I'd read that.

Final Prompting Note
: If there are topics you absolutely don’t want to write about, please include that as well. Similarly, if you're both GIVING and RECEIVING and a prompt really excites you, rep me and I'll try my best to
accommodate you. Otherwise, it’s fair game for me to assign you to a prompt.

tumblrm4lfjvat1e1rw6n2a_zps32147968.gif

mwa. ha. ha

But CM, what if I don't want to RECEIVE a story, but DO want to GIVE one?

I'm glad you fake-asked, fake participant! It's a perfect segue to:

RULE #3) GIFTING ONLY: Should you so desire, you may absolutely sign up to GIVE a gift, but not RECEIVE one. If you’re the benevolent type that loves to give and give, I’ll forward you a copy of my Wish List. I’ll also hook you up with a giftee. Please let me know if you want to give a story in general or for a specific prompt that inspires you so I can match you appropriately.

RULE #4) NO THANK YOU: If there is someone you don't want to write for, no matter the reason, please rep me with your request. I will do my best to honor it.

RULE #5) WRITING TIME:Once the sign-up thread closes, you'll have approximately 9-10 weeks of writing time to create your masterpiece. As always, if you hit a snag or have questions/concerns, you can contact me via the e-mail that I'll send your prompt from. Or you can reach out here on AW. Either way, please keep me in the loop and I'll do my best to assist you.

RULE #6) THE BETA OPTION: This is the tangential way to participate since beta volunteers are always welcome. If you're not interested in giving or receiving, but would like to play as a beta, let me know via Rule #10. Just don’t use this to your advantage when we open the guessing thread! Authors may also seek out betas exterior to this thread/genre as they desire.

RULE #7) WORD COUNT: There is no limit to story length. We’ve seen everything from 2k to 20k. A good story is a good story, so don't fret the word count.

RULE #8) SUBMITTING COMPLETED STORIES: When it’s time to deliver your story to me and my team of Story Elves, please make sure to include a 200-400 word section (pasted directly into the e-mail) that you feel best represents your tale of wonders. I’ll use this for the guessing thread. For those unfamiliar, here is a link to last year's Guessing Thread.

RULE #9) OWNERSHIP: The author of the story owns the story outright. This is especially true if the author decides to polish/expand the story for a professional market. The prompt they used is merely a motivating tool, but does not transfer ownership of the story to the giftee in any way. Everyone who participates in this event agrees to this.

RULE #10) THANK YOU!: *NEW FOR 2016!* In the past, a few people have expressed concern about whether or not their giftee liked their story. Once you receive your gift, PLEASE rep your gifter to thank them/weep crocodile tears of joy before them. You can also generically swoon over your gift in this thread. Either way, a heartfelt “thank you” goes a long way to convincing someone that the hours and hours spent building something special were not in vain. So please be courteous and vocally appreciative.

RULE #11) GOT IT!: To ensure you have read ALL THE RULES, including this one, please rep me (on this post) a statement that says you have read and agree to all the rules AND that you swear to give your gift by the deadline. Please also provide an email in the rep, even if you've played in the past, so the Story Elves and I can send you your gift when it’s time. Addresses change from time to time, so I don't want to send prompts to the wrong folks.

To ensure everyone has a warm and fuzzy moving forward, I will send you a confirmation e-mail so you know I gots it and youse are all good and stuff.

I also ask that you please avoid PMing me. My inbox is stuffed with messages as far back as 2010 and I’m finally willing to admit there’s no way I’m cleaning it out anytime soon.

barneystinsonhowimetyou_zps1e06ab16.gif

*sigh*

Here ends The Rules and Such.

The Timeline of Excellence:

December 1st: Sign-ups open. Masses flock to this thread. A new dawn of storytelling breaks and hope reigns supreme.

December 21st*****: Sign-ups close. Late-comers reap a harvest of sorrow.

December 25th: Assignments are lovingly wrapped and hand-delivered direct to your inbox. Hooray! Presents for everyone!

December 25th – February 29th: Plots generated, characters drawn, and words flung.

February 29th: Stories due to moi. Everyone celebrates Leap Year with the knowledge that their masterpiece is a mere hours away from arriving in their giftee’s inbox.

(NOTE: We’ve extended the due date by two weeks every year, so this year we’re programming it in early. This will give everyone TWO WHOLE MONTHS plus a little extra to write/edit their epic stories of epicness.)

March 1st: Stories delivered to giftees who are overwhelmed by teh awesomez. Guessing Thread open in SYW. Stories are read. Friendships are forged. Joy spreads through the valley and there is peace.

March Somethingth: We crown this season's Supreme Guessinator who lords over all of us with her/his story-guessing might.

All hail last year's Co-Winners: zanzjan and Riv!

Waynes-World-Were-not-Worthy_zps5edd8c18.gif

We are, indeed, not worthy.

In an unprecedented turn of events, zanzjan and Riv tied for the win. Together our 2014-2015 Supreme Guessinators ruled justly, spreading goodwill to all the lands. But will this season's winner do so as well? Only time will tell.

Personal Note
: This is hands-down my favorite writing event. There’s something magical about writing specifically for another person using their prompt. Not only does it allow you to move outside your comfort zone, but also helps you explore a genre you may have never considered before. The more people who participate, the more fun we have, so feel free to tell your friends, family, kids, cats, or even that strange neighbor who mows the yard in nothing but a sheen of sweat and a smile.

And now, without further ado....

The Official Proclamation:

Let it be known through all the writing lands that he 2015-2016 SS-SFF-SS season is now officially open!

Let's get this party started!

rHgc3wp2z68Em7vq3iiHEyRCs3o_zps8d072fd6.gif

I am Groot!

The Sign-Up List of AWesome:

Name: | Both Give and Receive(B)/Give Only(G)

1) TAMaxwell: B

2)Riv: B

3) Shadowflame: B

4) eyeblink: B

5) aliwood: B

6) JJ Litke: B

7) Michele AKA Twig: B

8) Filigree: B

9) tianaluthien: B

10) Ari Meermans: B

11) CheG: B

12) Bobo the Bard: B

13) mrsmig: B

14) Aggy B: B

15) Damoclian: B

16) tiddlywinks: B

17) zanzjan: B

18) paddismac: B

19) Tamlyn: B

20) Cliff Face: B

21) Lillith1991: B

22) kuwisdelu: B

23) shortstorymachinst: B

24) Religion0: B

25) PastyAlien: B

26) maxmordon: B

27) Kitkitdizzi: B

28) SianaBlackwood: B

29) Friendly Frog: B

30) ashehata: B

31) Williebee: B

32) Sage: B

33) Cath: B

34) Niccolo: B

35) oceansoul: B

36) Sian: B

37) hutton1323: B

38) Silenia: B

39) AshleyEpidemic: B

40) smokymountainlvr: B

41) Glyax: G

42) feyngirl: B

43) tjwriter: B

44) Glass Valkyrie: B

45) Blinkk: B

46) griffins: B

47) Tazlima: B

48) CobraMisfit: B

49) CuddlyClementine: B

50) themindstream: B

The Beta Option:

I CAN HAS BETAZ?!

ORGANIZER'S NOTE ON THE ABOVE LISTS: It's easier to list what I need from folks, so I'm putting everyone in the Sign-Up List of AWesome and what items are missing. I've also moved Beta-ers to their own list and will do the same if/when we get Givers Only. That helps keep the list neat.

*individual experiences may vary. Void where prohibited.

**see what I did there? See?! Aw, never mind.

***except, I really don't want to write smexyemoteens. Please don't make me.

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Yes yes yeessss finally! Going for first post three years running too. :D Can it be done? (Yes, yes it can. *dork*)

Count me in for giving and receiving.

I feel like being different this year. Dear whoever the story elves assign to me: I would like a story that includes two elements: 1) smibbles (smeerp/tribble crosses from the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Cantina. They're balls of fur with bunny ears who are soft, numerous, gather in piles, taste good roasted on an open fire, and take to scientific modifications well) and 2) modern-day pantheon deities. Translate as you will. I like comedy SF/F (think Terry Pratchett), but I'm open to most genres with a little touch of the unusual. Please no smexytimes or extreme gore/violence.

I can write SF/F with humorous tones, I cannot write smexytimes or horror. I am willing to write shiny emo teen vampires if it comes to it. Just don't expect it to be serious.

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I’m in for both giving and receiving!

RECEIVE: I’m eclectic in reading taste, so any genre works for me. I’d like a coming of age tale with a male protagonist in a matriarchal society. Beyond that, it’s up to you. This can be a human society or not. Earth or elsewhere. The interpretation of “age” is flexible (it doesn’t have to be “youth to adult” line). Gender-bending or not. Happy, sad, funny, dark, tragic, whimsical. You decide! Whatever elements you need to tell your story are fine (sex, violence, blood, undying love, porcupines, aliens, or none of the above). And no stressing!

GIVE: I’ll try most anything, though you’ll prefer me not to attempt hard SF, steampunk, angsty teen, or pure romance (romantic elements are dandy). My preference is fantasy or squishy SF or paranormal. Perhaps horror. Secondary worlds are fun. Unusual creatures or cultures are fun. Humans interacting with non-humans are fun. Dark, violence, gore, and smexy are fine if they fit the tale. Humor is risky. Weird is normal. Be careful what you ask for. :greenie

I haven’t written a short in ages and ages. This will be fun. I hope.

All the best,
Riv

ETA: Added paranormal to the giving.

Last edited:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Ohh so I might be 3rd to sign up?! Woot!

So I'm signing up to both give and receive.

Prompt: I've been really vague the last 2 years so I'm going a little more specific. This year, I'd like a steampunk-space fantasy genresmash of some sort. If you can work in talking horses, steam trains and/or clockwork spaceships you get bonus points--but these elements aren't necessary. I'm not a fan of humor or smexytimes but if there's a little in there that's fine.

What I'll write: I can do anything except pure humor or smexytimes. (my humorous endeavors look something like this :deadhorse and the few times I've tried to write smexytimes I did this::e2paperba) Otherwise I can do horror, fantasy, SciFi or anything else. Toss me an interesting combination and I'll see what I can do. ;)

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in for both giving and receiving. As I'll be in Australia for three weeks after 21 February, I'll have to aim at sending my story in before then, or else I'll be dependent on hotel wifi. This may also affect my participation in the guessing thread.

To receive: this year please write a story which involves the interaction of characters from different generations - e.g. parent/child, aunt/uncle/nephew/niece, grandparent/grandchild or a non-family intergenerational situation such as teacher/pupil, or whatever you can come up with. Any flavour of SF or fantasy and I have no taboos as regards language or content.

To give: I'm more likely to come up with something slipstreamy (I've been accused of the L word more than once, but I can live with that) rather than traditional SF or fantasy, and things may be darkish. I do have a sense of humour but can't do out-and-out comedy. The story is more likely to take place in this world rather than another one. But with that in mind, I'll give anything a try. I wrote an other-world fantasy last time.

(I've done the last three SSSFFSSes, and in the first year a male giftee got a story with a female protagonist and in the next two years female giftees had stories with male protagonists. I may continue in that tradition again, but we'll see. I also wasn't guessed straight away last time. ;) But all in all I'm looking forward to this.)

Last edited:

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Signing up for the give and receive option please.

Receiving
I would like a story on the theme of: When you think things can't get any worse, the universe proves it has a better imagination.

The action should involve an area put aside for healing (healing anything), not necessarily on a planet. Extra points for including a centipede, but nothing bad must happen to the centipede.

I avoid reading violent, smexy time, self-help books, but if you can work any of that in with a centipede I'm going to be seriously impressed.

Giving
I write slightly odd-ball, off-beat stories. If you want hard factual science without rule bending, smexy times, violence or self-help, I'm probably not your person.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Yay, I'm in!

Prompt: The sandwich is evil. It has a plan. And pickles.

Okay, that could ridiculously difficult. So, second prompt option: An unlikely friendship or alliance (the alliance could be grudging more so than unlikely).

For either prompt: Bonus for humor. Please no horrible violence, funny violence is okay. No dogs are allowed to be harmed during the writing of this piece.

Giving: I'm better at humor than angst. I kind of suck at horror. I've written hard SF, but I'd rather have free reign for making things up and stay on the soft SF or fantasy side.
ETA: After looking at other posts, apparently I should clarify that I'm not good at writing sex, either. I usually just skip to someone pulling their boots back on.

Last edited:

Michele AKA Twig

Lurking In The Corner...
Registered
Reaction score
So Much Funness! I will give and receive because I'm awesome like that.

Receive: I just read a book about factual 1800's mad scientist like stuff and it put me in the mood for something Steampunky. I'm thinking a world fair type thing where people are competing and showing off but on a different/alternate world than earth.

Give: I'm open to writing nearly anything but romance. Not really my area.

:partyguy:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Sign me up to give and receive, pleeeze.

Prompt: pearls, soap bubbles, and diffraction grating in meat (that opalescence that does NOT mean spoilage, just cool optics.) It would be easy to make this one horror, so how about SF or fantasy?

To give: I can write just about anything, but my humor can be a little weird. (What? I am Mildly Disturbing, after all.) My fantasy is better than my SF.

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
*cracks knuckles*

I am in for both giving and receiving.

Give:
I write adult F/SF and am just dipping my toe into the steampunk waters (admittedly more on the fantasy side of it). I can do light humor, romance (M/F; nothing heavy, but I can do some heat), suspense, friendship fics. I do not write full on horror or excessive violence. Please do not make me write smexy emo-teens unless you want them pushed off a cliff :evil

Receive: I'd like an adventure tale, please. One of those "tales for a winter's night" (as Robert Louis Stevenson put it). And set in winter. Whether this is the winter season or a land of eternal winter is up to you. I'd love a man-meets-woman-fall-and-they-fall-in-love-live-happily-ever-aspect, but nothing heavy or graphic. If you know Castle or Remington Steele, that's the kind of relationship I love reading about. No love triangles. Solid friendship fics also acceptable. Fantasy or steampunk, preferable. Happy ending, please :)

Random criteria for brownie points:
*sparkly gemstones
*bickering
*a snarky arctic fox

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Ari Meermans: B

1. Give: I'm willing to try my hand at anything except smexy-times, gore, or gratuitous violence. Wouldn't know what to do with hard science (just sayin').

2. Receive: I love everything Spec Fic, let your imagination run wild--SFF, Magical Realism, Woo-woo, it's all good. Would appreciate no gratuitous violence or gore. Snarky humorous times are well-appreciated by moi as are ambiguous endings. Bonus points for a depressed gazebo.

Last edited:

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I may regret this but I'm in! (Though maybe not for the 10K epic I wrote last year! LOL! And yes, I know that doesn't come close to some people who have turned in novellas to their giftees! But it was quite a lot for me!)

Receiving Prompt: Magical creatures, be they animal, vegetable or mineral. Sorry, I've been playing a lot of Pokemon lately! Finding magical critter, taming magical critter, making friends with magical critter, battling magical critters! Don't have to be an actual mythical magical critter. I like secondary world fantasy and urban fantasy a lot. But do what ever!

Giving:I write lots of Middle Grade, Young Adult, and regular adult fantasy/UF. I can TRY for light romance, I did it last year! I'm not good at hard SF but could try space opera? Just don't ask me to explain the FTL drive... And light romance is as good as it gets! think Jane Austin. No smexy times. Horror takes me too long to write! Please NO.

YES to fight scenes/violence and gore. I like action movies!

*EDIT- I will happily write vampires! Even emo teen vampires! LOL!

Last edited:

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
I'm back for more awesome! Signing up for giving and receiving.

Prompt: I would like a story with an android or cyborg as the main character. They can be as human or as machine-like as you want. Bonus points for mashing up incongruous eras or genres like fairy tales/Vikings/a fantasy world/the bottom of the ocean/ancient Asia/deep space/inside a whale/whatever, but not required. Please no gore, explicit smexytimes, or emo teen vampires. I don't mind intense emotion or it getting really dark. I don't mind if it's dead serious or hilarious and silly or something in between.

Giving: I'm better at science fiction/fantasy/science fantasy. If I incorporate science I'll do my best to ensure it's accurate. I'll do my best to incorporate other genres as necessary. I can write humor or seriousness. My serious stories tend to be set in alien/fantastical places. My humor tends to be pretty insane and Adamsian - 42 is the meaning of life and ridiculous adventures with sentient inanimate objects that shouldn't be sentient sort of thing. I haven't done much gothic/horror, but what I've tried tends to be Lovecraftian/emotional creepiness/fear rather than things jumping out in the night. I also do tend to blend genres a lot like a mad scientist.

Romance: Yes, but it will likely be clean, unless smutty scenes that are unintentionally hilariously bad are called for.
Emo teen vampires: Yes, but expect something completely over the top ridiculous to happen to them.
Gore/Violence: No. Strike that, yes, I'll write it, it just won't be in glorious gory stomach-churning detail. Slim chance spontaneous comedy and/or dancing in a duck costume may occur.
Erotica: No. Strike that, yes, I'll write it, it just won't be in glorious gory stomach-churning detail. Slim chance spontaneous comedy and/or dancing in a duck costume may occur.

ETA: If you have a highly specific prompt for which it's very near and dear to your heart that a number of criteria be met exactly, you probably don't want me writing your story, unless you want us both to die laughing at how it turned out so horribly unlike the original. If you're willing to take that risk though... *bolt of lightning, thunder* *puts on ominous Scar voice* BE PREPAAAAAAAARED!

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In for a penny (giving), in for a pound (receiving)!

Prompt: I'd love something twisty - whether it's an unreliable narrator, an unexpected mashup or an odd coupling. I lean more toward fantasy and soft SF. I love me some clever dialogue; not much for splattery gore or heavy-duty smexiness. Extra points if you can work a rabbit into the story somewhere.

To Give: I generally write fantasy although I'm willing to try 'most anything. Those wanting tech SF might find my efforts disappointing (or laughable). Although I don't want to read it this time around, I don't mind writing a little smexy or splat.

c1ea7adc-a926-40c0-a40b-c11c131c6b84.jpg

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I've missed the sign-up for too many years running. So, this year I shall do it.

To receive: I want a story about a family working together to solve a problem. Points for extended family (i.e. cousins, grandparents, aunts/uncles) or non-heteronormative. No teen angst, please.

To give: I lean toward the dark end of the spectrum. I write romantic subplots almost without fail and have no fear of detailed smexytimes of pretty much any (consensual) stripe. I'm not very strong in the hard SF department, and tend toward Fantasy and/or Horror in general. Specifically, I write Steampunk of many stripes and also Southern Gothic.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
I will give! I would like to receive!

For my prompt, I gave it too much thought and basically made a small, vague outline... here we go!

Receiving prompt
Mega-Reader: (working title only, come up with something better pls)

Pitch:

A person or personS who, upon opening any given book, may be sucked into the story/text to play a role in it as though thrown on stage in a live/improv play. They have a Sword of Damocles hanging over them while in the book, so that in every scene they are in, they must play along and do a good job or be cut from the story (and die). They have no knowledge of what’s going on, any more than anyone else actually in the story.

No time passes between opening the book and being sucked in, and coming back to our world (if they survive). Only people who have experienced it believe in it, and there is a hidden forum on the dark web specifically for these cursed individuals. Though, the people who post regularly often die. eBooks do not activate the curse, and neither does text on any screen, only pages, scrolls, ancient pieces of clay, and so forth, suck the Mega-Readers in.

And then, a new Mega finds a way to escape a book before finishing the story, and now, the characters from the story are in the real world too and out to kill the whole forum and the new Mega, and they can turn into freaking AWESOME demons! :D

Back-story:

The Mega-Reader forum is on the dark web because only truly desperate people will find it there, people who really are Mega-Readers and not just RPGing for fun.

Mega-Reading is addictive like Dreaming in the movie “Inception”, and though the forum members try to stay out of stories and books in general, for their own good, they often slip up… and get killed for their troubles.

Some books are better than others, some books all the Mega-Readers read; others, they all avoid like the plague. Only the forum members who have survived a while can tell the newbs what to avoid, and what to practice on in the inevitability that they get sucked into a difficult story.

The Mega-Reader Forum has a high turnover rate.

Everybody loves easy books like Narnia and LoTR, the truly dangerous ones are Romances, because they’re so awkward!

Please no zombies *snore* and everything else goes but sexual violence. None of that, thank you.

Giving: I am a poopy writer, but I've been poopily writing for so long it's an art by this point. I written almost everything there is to write in the SF/F genre (badly), and will not shy away from anything except, as mentioned above, sexual violence. I will do my best to impress, but I will need many Betas and pick-me-ups before this is over.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Yah!!! I had so much fun last year, I just couldn't wait to sign up again. Give and receive, please and thank you.

Prompt: I would really like to laugh out loud reading my story. Doesn't mean the thing has to be humor throughout, but I LOVE a good line, delivered at just the right time. Even if it's in grimdark situations. But wait...yes, oh yes, don't think you're getting off that easy.

The special ingredient? You must give me a squirrel as one of the characters. No, you can't just mention a squirrel or have your character look at a squirrel. That's cheating. And no dismembering the squirrel, please. Or I shall hate you forever. Pretty open ended otherwise, but no gory stuff, okay? I like horror...just not in splishes and splashes.

Bonus points for anything sparkly and bagpipes. And please don't ask what prompted this. Just work with me here. :greenie

Game for Writing: Same as last year - romance, humor, paranormal, fantasy, quirky, sassy, you name it. Oh, and this year, I can do sad and wistful, too. As always, probably don't want torture yourself by having me try GrimDark, angsty teen fiction, or hard core scifi. Not sure I'd be great at steampunk, but am willing to give it a shot. Oh, and while I will happily write heat, I don't do erotica.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! I got such an awesome prompt AND gift story last year, totes can't not do this again. Sign me up to give and receive!

Giving: I'm pretty much willing to try writing anything, although normally I write space opera-esque SF. I'm not good at YA or romance, but I'm willing to give them a go; erotica is a firm no (trust me, we are all happier that way.) My stuff tends to have a sense of humor to it, even when dark, so if you want something deadly serious I'm probably not your person. Also, no dragon stories because I've got one rolling around in the back of my head that needs to roll unbothered for a while longer.

Receiving: I'd like something very science-fictioney in flavor but with Earth-native centaurs as the main/pov character(s).

No explicit sex or graphic/gratuitous/sexual violence for either.

Last edited:

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
GAH! I'm in! For giving and receiving, with apologies to whomever my giftee turns out to be. I've never tried this sort of thing before.

What I'd like to receive:
I'd love a story that includes a monster under the bed/in the closet. Extra points if the protag. is an elderly person. Even better if he/she has an equally elderly pet. The monster can be real or metaphorical. Not really looking for anything with deep, philosophical meaning (though I'm not opposed to it)... just have fun with it. Dark, grim, gory, funny, quirky, whatever you want to throw at it!

What I can give:
Low fantasy, mannerpunk, paranormal, Southern Gothic, creepy horror (rather than shocking! horror), with the caveat that all these genres have an "-ish" at the end. Be forewarned — I'm a one-trick-pony style-wise. Everything I try to write slides into satirical, hyperbolic, and/or borderline absurd (like a Monty Python adaptation of Douglas Adams) and I tend toward a macabre sense of humor, so I'm not a great fit for anyone looking for a serious, quiet, contemplative story. I'll try to rein it in, but no promises.

I'm totally out of my element with SF ('cause technology beyond the invention of the wheel gives me the twitches) and I'm no good at romance or smoldering smexy-times (but vague romantic elements and some sexual tension is okay).

Now to go back and read over all the prompts so far and fret over which one I might get!

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just gotta say, you all are hilarious and clever, all wrapped up in a big blanket of bacon-flavored inspiration.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Right. Now that my internet is not --- ooh, it saved my post I'd written but couldn't post due to aforementioned internet! Yay!

Receive: I'd like something that ends with hope. It can be dark or light along the way, I don't mind, but ending with hope. I don't mind what genre or style or whatever. I'd like it to revolve around ruins in some way - whether it's alien ruins or ancient ruins or cursed ruins or...

Give: I can give anything a try. Humour isn't my strong point, though I have managed decent humorous voices before. I can do dark, but if you want gore-fest horror, I'm probably not your writer. I can do romance. I can fudge hard SF so if it's really important to you, you probably don't want me writing it :p

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm in for both giving and receiving. :)

Receive: I want to read a portal fantasy with an unusual protagonist who learns something about her/his/its self. Whether this is sci-fi or fantasy (or anywhere in-between) doesn't bother me (but please no horror!), provided someone goes through a portal to another time or place. I'm fine with reading virtually any story elements, though I would prefer a bit of balance. So, I don't want the entire thing to be a gore/smut/angst/comedy fest - I don't mind any of those elements, but yeah, balance is key. :)

Giving: Just about everyone who's ever read my writing has told me that I'm really good at comedy. However, I'd really prefer balance (like above), so please give me a prompt with enough leeway to include multiple elements. Again, I don't want to write horror. Or steampunk for that matter (but only because I've never read steampunk before, and don't want to waste a month of writing time researching it, however pleasurable that might be). I can write graphic sex, but it's not my strong suit. I can write graphic violence/gore, but please be advised that if you request gore, I'll no doubt go over-the-top and need therapy afterwards. :tongue I'm willing to write hard sci-fi (I studied physics at university for a year and a half, and still love that stuff), epic fantasy (well, a short-story version, anyway...) or urban fantasy / paranormal romance. I like writing dark situations with relatively positive people in them, so I don't really fancy writing emo teen vampires. I write adult fiction, but am willing to give YA a chance - but please, no MG or younger kids' stories, for both our sakes!

Hrm. I think that's about it...

ETA: Oh, and I don't want to write historical elements. History has always been my weak point when it comes to studying, and I figure that if someone asks for historical, they really don't want to read my blunders on the subject. :)

Last edited:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Put me down to give and receive! I love this challenge.

Getting: I would like a SFFH short based on a poem by the name of The Vampire by Charles Baudelaire. Horror seems most fitting for me, but Dark Magical Realism, Dark SF, and Dark Fantasy are all welcome too. If the story can also be Literary in nature, then I would be eternally gratful. Don't beat yourself up over it if it isn't though, because all I really want is a nice dark story inspired by a poem I love.

Giving: Please, please, please don't ask me to do straight SFF Erotic if at all possible. I prefer to write Erotic Horror or Horror Romance of the SFFH variety with heat as oppossed to straight Erotica. I'm also not good at light humor, do passibly at well at Dark Humor/Comedic Horror, and am not the best choice for writing Hard SF. I would prefer not to write those, ask me to do so at your own risk.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Oh hell. I'm in. I could use another deadline. Not really. I'm going to regret this. But fuck it, I'm in.

Receive: Magical Girl. Coming of Age. Girls Love. Ambiguous Robots. Humongous Mecha. The End of the World as We Know It. Sekaikei. Angst. A Date with Rosie Palms. Deus Angst Machina. Mind Screw. Apocalypse Wow. Earn Your Happy Ending.

Give: Most of my stuff runs literary, and given the nature of this event, I'm highly likely to go experimental, quirky, and slipstream here. I'm fine with sci-fi, fantasy, or horror. I struggle with light-hearted and humor, but I think I can do dark comedy. I'm comfortable with violence and sex. I can do erotic. I'm perfectly happy to write angsty emo teens. Even the fanged variety. I'd prefer not to be limited to European mythology if I do fantasy. I lean to the soft side of sci-fi. I don't write tragedies anymore.

Last edited:

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
I was here for the guessing game this past year, but I had no idea it was preceded by such merry festivities! Count me in!

Giving: I write fantasy and SF, both hard and squishy, so if that's what you want then I'm your machinist! I'm also totally willing to give horror a try, although I've never written it before so buyer beware. Romantic themes are fine, but let me tell you, you wouldn't want a straight up romance from me. I draw the line at super gratuitous violence and sexytimes.

Prompt: I like stories about siblings or comrades, the kind who are loyal to a fault, and I like fantasy where the magic is unknowable and 'other.' Think Lord Dunsany or Strange and Norrell. Also, here are some of my favorite words for theme purposes: chalice, empress, fable, dirigible, clock, trillium. Feel free to use all or none of them. Or any number you feel like. I'm cool with sword & sorcery, steampunk, horror, historical fantasy, faerie. It's all good.

Last edited: